2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

cheerio2

On the Ice
I think the only way "Chan", "artistry", and "much" should be in the same sentence should be: "Chan doesn't have much artistry." :-D

Getting back into the flow of comments, I stand by my earlier comment of scratching this point piling system and finding a way to give greater weight to the long program. Messing up in the long program used to mean, well, messing up. Rarely would the winner of the long program lose the title under 6.0. Why not heavily weigh "being ahead of someone" in the LP (and SP, too) instead of having a system where someone may win the LP but only do it by 0.01 and lose the title to someone who was 0.05 ahead in the SP. I still feel that being better than someone in the LP should more strongly place you vis-a-vis that person overall.

Touché about Chan's artistry :) I think that's a great idea to somehow give ordinals more weight than decimal places. A SP lead shouldn't be so insurmountable that there's no point in even having a LP competition.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 267.78 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, Medal Ceremony, Interview
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 266.48 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 249.06 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 244.99 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 239.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 239.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Max AARON (USA) - 238.36 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 234.18 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
9. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 232.26 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 229.00 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 216.84 Free Skate
12. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 216.83 Free Skate
13. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 216.60 Free Skate
14. Ross MINER (USA) - 211.90 Free Skate
15. Nan SONG (CHN) 207.68 Free Skate
16. Misha GE (UZB) - 207.50 Free Skate
17. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 207.40
18. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 204.29 Free Skate
19. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 192.19 Free Skate
20. Viktor PFEIFER (AUT) - 189.44 Free Skate
21. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 180.50 Free Skate
22. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 177.09 Free Skate
23. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 174.98 Free Skate
24. Justus STRID (DEN) - 165.23

ks777

Record Breaker
So happy for Max Aaron! What an athlete. I'm still laughing at his hitting the boards the way he did & instead of collapsing on the ice he simply dug his left skate into the ice & pushed off. Max is exciting & fun. He is a breath of fresh air for US men's skating. As to the argument as to who should have won? I'm fine with Chan's win. I'm in awe of the depth of his edges & I'm not surprised that he can't always control them. Maybe the ISU should reinstate the old figures portion of the competition?

He is a hockey player so used to bumping into the board. Yes I think I became a fan after seeing him last night. He is the fastest skater I have ever seen, even though Tracey Wilson said the reason he can skate so fast is because he doesn't have many difficult transitions in his skating but still. It was very exciting to watch him just go. I just wish that he had a different coach.. I am sorry but his coach isn't known for teaching good basics to his students.

starryxskies

On the Ice
So has the list for who's invited to the gala been announced/circulating for the mens? I'm wondering if yuzuru will withdraw considering his injury

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Opining on Worlds: The plight and misuse of program components

Pretty good and clear-headed analysis of the men's competitions by Jackie Wong. (May also be related to the Carolina-in-second-after-the-short debate.)

He argues that Chan deservingly and convincingly won the short program, but Ten performed well enough in the LP to close the gap between him and Chan from the SP.

http://www.examiner.com/article/opining-on-worlds-the-plight-and-misuse-of-program-components

But one thing has to be noted - nowhere in the IJS criteria for components does it explicitly mention that a fall equates lower component marks. That's often the go-to line for those trying to dispute results that they don't like. More subtly, the only component that comes into play is in the Performance/Execution mark, where "clarity of movement," which takes about the "precise execution of any movement," can and should be interpreted as an area for consideration when it comes to falls.

Why? The idea was to clearly separate the technical side on the technical mark - so falls, poor landings, well-executed jumps, strong spins, etc., would be taken care of in the technical elements score. The program components score is more of a big-picture mark that takes the overall performance into account.

A fall that doesn't disrupt the program and the skater's performance of it? That doesn't - and shouldn't - do much to the components mark.
That was precisely the conversation last year at Worlds when it was Chan vs. Takahashi. A fall that completely disrupts the program and takes the skater completely out of the performance of the program? That is what doesn't get addressed nearly enough.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Lol he actually chipped part of the board off! Insane that he didn't damage his skates. Hope he doesn't have to pay for damages. ;)

figuristka

Medalist
Not sure if Ten is as fast, or powerful as Chan but of the top men yes they seem the most similar. I do think Patrick improved his artistry but its difficult to see as a whole when flawed in the FS.

I hope Dai is invited to the Gala.:bow:

figuristka

Medalist
Anyone have a link to the small medal ceremony for the men's free? Just wanted to see Denis with his gold, Patrick silver and Yuzuru Bronze for their Free programs.

ks777

Record Breaker
Not sure if Ten is as fast, or powerful as Chan but of the top men yes they seem the most similar. I do think Patrick improved his artistry but its difficult to see as a whole when flawed in the FS.

I hope Dai is invited to the Gala.:bow:

I always thought Chan and Kozuka are similar as far as the skating skills go.

Icarus

Spectator
Digging through here without success. My DVR cut off the latter half of the men's freeskate. Augh! Right before Daisuke and Patrick Chan, no, really, I haven't seen it yet. Any ideas of where I can view the latter half of the men's freeskate? It's been hell trying to avoid spoilers.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
It seems that I really belong to minority.
I think Chan deserves this title.
I think that eye-popping skating skills & 4T3T/4T3T/4T(vs D10's 4T/4T) make up for a few big mistakes.