2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

ks777

Record Breaker
Buttle actually had stunning artistry, spins, and everything except the quad. Lysacek is quite generic and ordinary in everyway. Yet average Evan won Olympics and Worlds, while much more stylish and complete Jeff managed only Worlds. Naturally Evan would receive more criticsm than Jeff. That said I would even take Evan winning with generic average skating over many of Chans splatfest wins.

Yeah I agree there on Buttle.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Therefore, Ten's superior performance became the closest thing to put a nicer cover page on tomorrow's ISU main news site, as opposed to having to describe the World Champion as having two falls and 4 errors in total. If it were not for the fact there was a strong knee-jerk reaction to a "Anyone but Chan", Ten wouldn't have received such high scores, not even close.

Don't get me wrong. I first saw him at the LA Worlds in 2009 and was very impressed. What I saw tonight up close is a guy who still needs polishing in terms of his in-between and presentation. Not quite at the level to be a solid top 5 in the world, yet. This does not mean he shouldn't be top 5 or on the podium. Rather, in this competition he was better than most but the result is due to poor performances on the part of other skaters who would have easily beaten him if they had skated to their potential.

You take note of each and every poster who is claiming Ten's robbed in this thread and wait till next season. Trust me, many of them will quickly be changing tune and claim memory loss just as fast when they no longer need Ten to verbally abuse Chan.

Ten may not be well known and achieved less compared to Chan but he wasn't going to win anyways knowing Chan will always get that cushion
even with multiple fall, its not anyone but Chan mentality but when Chan wins with terrible performance

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think what people are saying is that Denis Ten deserved to win this competition. Not that they paid much attention to him before or that will necessarily pay much attention to him next year.

Ten's PCS was incredibly high already. He even got 9 and 9.5 in SS. It is understandable that Chan should have some fall cushions over him. He did win LP over Chan.

gmyers

Record Breaker
because Boring Buttle never won an Olympic gold while Lysacek did

Exactly people blamed Joubert bombing the sp but it was outrageous and ridiculous that he didn't win the free and him not winning the free showed in 2008 the worthlessness of quads In men's skating and showed how that COp would lead to an Olympic winner without quads. It was all planted there but no one ever believed the Olympics would be a quadless winner even in 2009 they blamed Joubert losing to falling on a 2a but his program lost to two people without quads and they all refused to believe the Olympics would be won without a quad but then it was when plushenko did all his jumps well. So the system had to be radically altered. Few believed a man would lack the pride to not try a quad. That they'd all be plushenkos and takahashi's but that was wrong.

Becki

Medalist
That was done in very poor taste. Plenty of people have got into trouble for their tweets on twitter. Ms. Gao seems to lack tact and sportsmanship. Wanna bet how fast this one gets deleted or taken down? I'll give until tomorrow morning + an apology.

Why would she have to apologize? I don't see how that showed a lack of sportsmanship.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Aha, S/S are not Patrick Chan, flaneur, and no attempts by you to compare what happened in the pairs event to this smelly men's event is gonna make S/S suddenly appear to be like Patrick Chan. Not similar at all. If it were even close to being similar, S/S would have won over V/T by decimal points! The judges rapped S/S on the wrist in the sp for a good effort, and then rightly took marks away from their PB for this season's ill-advised fp with minor errors. But as far as guts, innovation, creativity and risk-taking, Aliona and Robin are light years ahead of Mr. Chan, and frankly the judges have always tended to grudgingly give S/S the marks that they'd prefer to bestow on any viable Russian or Chinese pair.

Aliona and Robin have deserved every championship they've won. Can't say the same for Patrick Chan. S/S won last year by a hair's breadth over V/T who had a great fp, but a crappy sp with a major error. S/S have never won by some of the huge margins that Chan has been anointed with.

And furthermore, if Aliona and Robin had made the type of numerous errors that Chan made, they would have been far behind D/R and maybe even off the podium, capeesh?

Well I am not so sure I agree. Chan has really stretched the sport and his technical skills aren't all that bad folks. He won fair and square and he rightfully lost the free program. It was close too. But while it is nice to see Ten with a medal he needs to show more consistency it is anice story to say you won a medal espescially at the olympics but kind of sad the consistent person ie Kwan never got OGM. But life isn't fair. Patrick puts himself out there like him or not. Because of the overaall score and program Patrick deserved the win. the Germans on theother hand maybe and that is a big maybe deserved third but not second. They had too many bobbles and the connection with the programs wasn't there this year. I am sure they will come back stronger than ever. They were really lucky to win last year and it was by the tiniest of margins. Proud of Max Aaron he showed why he is the US champion. And Kevin Reynolds showed he is no slouch. And he wasn't even 100percent. People I a m not sure why we whine about Patrick when S and S, Carolina Kosnter, and in the past Stephane Lambiel has been held up considerably due to their pcs. to be honest Ten isn't really at the top level of skating skills as Fernandez Chan Takahashi or Hanyu. I am wondering a bit about the Tak I thought he had the bronze.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Buttle actually had stunning artistry, spins, and everything except the quad. Lysacek is quite generic and ordinary in everyway. Yet average Evan won Olympics and Worlds, while much more stylish and complete Jeff managed only Worlds. Naturally Evan would receive more criticsm than Jeff. That said I would even take Evan winning with generic average skating over many of Chans splatfest wins.

He broke the 10 year run of men winning with quads. His win too was awful because it was so technically Incomplete! but sure joubert Bombed the sp. All the 1 point QUADs should have lead to immediate reform! Immediate reform! Men were doing 3 plus rotations and getting NO POINTS.

They thought raising the value of quads was the answer but then the next season saw less quads!!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Atrocious result in the Men's event tonight - no wonder figure skating ratings are going down and the public is fed up.

I'm Canadian, but I can recognize that it is not right for Patrick Chan to fall on his butt TWICE and then make 2 more jumping mistakes for a total of FOUR mistakes and easily walk off with the World Championship.

And who cares if Brian Joubert under-rotated a few of his jumps? He should not have finished so far behind Patrick - he didn't fall on his butt twice. I congratulate Brian Joubert on a great skate at his final Worlds. As for Chan, he should acknowledge that the marks he gets from the judges are a joke and that he does not feel right accepting a World Championship that he is not entitled to.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like Denis Ten, but how did his PCs increase by 20+ overnight? O_O I thought things like SS don't really change much regardless of one's performance. Ahhh so confused.

It helps to go clean with flow and intepretation but you have a good point. He deserved the silver but yes, if you look at his skating it really has osme great interest but the skills are not of the top level.

starryxskies

On the Ice
I read somewhere in this thread that Czech will keep its 2 spots because Tomas gets 16 points?? But he placed 21st final standings...how does that get him 16 points? Someone tell me how it works if I'm not getting something.

I was also in the audience tonight. It was such a treat having Jeff Buttle and Joannie Rochette in the audience. They were sitting across from the judges (on the other side) in the lower bowl and they did a little commentary during intermission before the last 2 groups. They signed some autographs and took some photos with the fans after their mini segment, how sweet. Joannie is gorgeous as always and dang Jeff with those glasses. Swoon.

It was really cute how fans started singing happy birthday to Dai. He was so tense waiting for his score, he didn't even realize until a while later haha. A lot of cheers when the announcer said he turns 27 tomorrow. But seriously, he definitely deserved higher PCS. I couldn't focus much after him at first because I was shocked and super sad. How could he get the same as Javier? Please dump Morozov and just do your own thing next season. Better to do something you're proud of next season and lose than try to play the game and lose. And even better if it wins. Although, I still have faith in him if he goes back to Pasquale. PLEASE!!! But then again, I think having Morozov's Russian name attached to his will help him in Sochi. I wonder if he'll get invited to the Gala, he is the most popular guy in the world right now and you can bet there will be a lot of japanese fans there.

Yuzuru got underscored. If he had skated in the last group or even later in his own group, he definitely would've gotten a higher score be it from higher GOE or higher PCS. Easily one of the best tonight. He fought so hard, he was dying at the end. He deserved more. Judges need to stop thinking others will fare better just because the last group still has to skate.

Brian definitely got low balled, I booed with the audience. It guess many of us didn't realize he zayaked at the time. Really shows how his performance got to the audience. But even so, judges really did no favours for him. It's amazing how he's still relatively in the game after so many years. Really proud of him today. He should get bonus just for being the fly that will never go away (meant in the nicest way possible)

The audience was really silent when Chan got his score. Or perhaps that was just me because my eyes literally dropped. I was gonna flip if the score was above 160 after seeing how he got Chanada bonus in the SP.... and it got 169!?! w-t-f. You could tell by the way the screams were crazy as if George Clooney showed up in the building.

I don't care how Denis just popped up during Worlds but he had the clean amazing SP AND he had the best FS of the night. AND YET HE DOESN'T GET GOLD?! I'm sorry, but there's something wrong if a great SP + splatfest LP beats out a very good SP + LP of the night. The balance is just not there. If Patrick's SP was not scored as outrageousy and his LP was scored correctly, Denis definitely would've been the champ.

Crowd's favourites of the night: D10, Javier, Yuzuru and Joubert ...possibly Max as well. Orser must've been motivating his kids like hell. But really glad they were able to get back up. Unfortunate about the SPs.

I'm excited for WTT for the fact that maybe we can possibly have a retry at what tonight should've been. At least for the skaters who belongs to a well rounded country.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
His 7th place finish REALLY makes me wish I knew what Jeremy Abbott could have accomplished at these worlds. As it turned out, I think he COULD have gotten 6th place and, combined with Max, earned the US those 3 spots for the Olympics. Sigh........There's another instance where one less doubled jump would have written a different story (that's the margin he lost the second spot to Ross by at US nationals)!

could have would have should have may have - you just don't know which Abbott would show up.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agree Blades of Passion that Patrick has tried to focus on artistry this season, which is not a bad thing (although many of his fans have been endlessly moaning and groaning about his artsy guru, Kathy Johnson). I do think that Patrick has improved a bit, but he's still overly self-conscious and studied in his movements intended by him to convey artistry. OTOH, Patrick's SS come naturally to him and he doesn't have to think about them.

But that's the difference. Skaters extraordinaire like Dai, Denis, Abbott, Savoie, Cranston, Lambiel, Weir, Curry, Browning, Sawyer, Robin Cousins, Jason Brown -- they all have artistry and musical interpretation that is as natural to them as breathing. Not so for Patrick Chan.

You put a still developing junior Brown as an artist but not Buttle - come on - I assume you just weren't thinking lol. Yes Patrick isn't a natural but far better than the over emotive brian Boitano and the very generic Evan Lycacek or Todd Eldredge.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I read somewhere in this thread that Czech will keep its 2 spots because Tomas gets 16 points?? But he placed 21st final standings...how does that get him 16 points? Someone tell me how it works if I'm not getting something.

Skaters who make the free skate gets at least 16 points. If they finish 15th or higher than they get those corresponding points.

I'm not exactly sure why they cut it off at 16 points.

But placements basically 16th to 24th = 16

aftertherain

Record Breaker
That was done in very poor taste. Plenty of people have got into trouble for their tweets on twitter. Ms. Gao seems to lack tact and sportsmanship. Wanna bet how fast this one gets deleted or taken down? I'll give until tomorrow morning + an apology.

I doubt it. She won't get punished for what most others are saying on Twitter. Also, this tweet does not equal a lack of sportsmanship. Why? Because she wasn't the one competing--if she had been a competitor, that would have been a different story. But here, she was a third-party spectator.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan = two time world fake champion!! Congrats!!

Well if we are having fake champions we must have fake medallists we would have a huge list - Carolina Kostner, Evan Lycacek, S/S from Germany, Kimmie Meisner (blah), lindemann, Chait and S, ...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Joubert lips or flutzes but instead of getting an edge call as per usual it was called what it looked like I think! He doesn't zayak!!! He gets an edge wrong.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Skaters who make the free skate gets at least 16 points. If they finish 15th or higher than they get those corresponding points.

I'm not exactly sure why they cut it off at 16 points.

But placements basically 16th to 24th = 16

Ah thank you!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just thought they all lacked, and even though Denis Ten was not bad, he is not the amazing wuzzrobbed Champion people are trying to make him, imho. Compare this event to 2012. Nice was such a joy. London not so much.....I think no one deserved to win here. :eek:hwell:

I agree in many ways :) And 2010 OGM no one deserved it either. @2006 no woman should have won world gold and the list goes on.