Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Worlds Men LP

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Its not a reason for the results. First of all since when is skating all about quads? Yes Patrick had 2 quads. But you know what he had no triple axels. Whereas Denis Ten had 2 beautiful triple axels...

Ten by far had the better jumping display.

Was Denis the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Well compared to how everyone else skated he was.

At the end of the day I'm tired of this argument that how you execute the elements shouldn't matter. One mistake a la V/T's fall okay as long as the rest is well done.

But multiple glaring big time errors, it matters. Currently glaring errors are frankly not penalized enough. And I'm sorry they effect the performance. Nobody should be getting 89s in pcs with that kind of skate

If Denis was from a powerful skating country, people would be screaming now.

Patrick does have beautiful blade skills but I'd rather see a little less from him and a program he can actually skate well than a jammed pack program he can't skate well.

In general this sport is encouraging skaters to throw in their most difficult elements regardless of how they can do it and PCS are used to hold up some downgrade some others.

In general I want difficulty encouraged. I'm not convinced difficulty is rewarded enough for the ladies. But execution has to matter too.

This is figure skating not figure falling. And I'm darn tired of the world "rotations"

How hard is it to have a balance and I'm sorry I'm tired of the hypocrisy. People screamed when Anton made a small frankly minor error with a program that was far more complicated than S/P's. Screamed to high heavens, and everything else B/S did was beautiful.

But Patrick Chan wins time after time with programs that are marred with multiple, multiple, multiple glaring errors and that's just fine by the same country.
    Amen to everything you said. Especially about SPC and how hypocritical the country is. As a Canadoan, I'm honestly ashamed of what has just happened. If we can't expect the officials to run the show properly, who can we trust? Prefably ourselves at this point...

Custom Title
    Absolute Skating has some terrific tweets from the press conference that make Denis Ten and Javier Fernandez adorable, for what it's worth.

MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 267.78 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
    2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 266.48 Free Skate
    3. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 249.06 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
    4. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 244.99 Free Skate
    5. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 239.98 Free Skate
    6. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 239.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
    7. Max AARON (USA) - 238.36 Free Skate
    8. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 234.18 Free Skate
    9. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 232.26
    10. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 229.00 Free Skate
    11. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 216.84
    12. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 216.83
    13. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 216.60
    14. Ross MINER (USA) - 211.90
    15. Nan SONG (CHN) 207.68
    16. Misha GE (UZB) - 207.50
    17. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 207.40
    18. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 204.29
    19. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 192.19
    20. Viktor PFEIFER (AUT) - 189.44 Free Skate
    21. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 180.50
    22. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 177.09
    23. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 174.98
    24. Justus STRID (DEN) - 165.23

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Lets put it this way. Slutskaya will still be the best Russian figure skater of all time 10 years from now. I do think Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva will both win atleast 1 World medal of some color in their careers though. Radianova too, and possibly (but least certain of all) Lipnitskaya. What they achieve beyond that is hard to say now though, and I doubt it will be anytime before after Sochi.
    What they will achieve in terms of medals is far from certain, but to categorize them as fallen former stars is presumptuous. They are still very much rising IMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Its not a reason for the results. First of all since when is skating all about quads? Yes Patrick had 2 quads. But you know what he had no triple axels. Whereas Denis Ten had 2 beautiful triple axels...

Ten by far had the better jumping display.

Was Denis the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Well compared to how everyone else skated he was.

At the end of the day I'm tired of this argument that how you execute the elements shouldn't matter. One mistake a la V/T's fall okay as long as the rest is well done.

But multiple glaring big time errors, it matters. Currently glaring errors are frankly not penalized enough. And I'm sorry they effect the performance. Nobody should be getting 89s in pcs with that kind of skate

If Denis was from a powerful skating country, people would be screaming now.

Patrick does have beautiful blade skills but I'd rather see a little less from him and a program he can actually skate well than a jammed pack program he can't skate well.

In general this sport is encouraging skaters to throw in their most difficult elements regardless of how they can do it and PCS are used to hold up some downgrade some others.

In general I want difficulty encouraged. I'm not convinced difficulty is rewarded enough for the ladies. But execution has to matter too.

This is figure skating not figure falling. And I'm darn tired of the world "rotations"

How hard is it to have a balance and I'm sorry I'm tired of the hypocrisy. People screamed when Anton made a small frankly minor error with a program that was far more complicated than S/P's. Screamed to high heavens, and everything else B/S did was beautiful.

But Patrick Chan wins time after time with programs that are marred with multiple, multiple, multiple glaring errors and that's just fine by the same country.
    For the most part I almost entirely agree with you. I'm not trying to justify the results nor the IJS... I'm just trying to make sense of what happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Absolute Skating has some terrific tweets from the press conference that make Denis Ten and Javier Fernandez adorable, for what it's worth.
    Is that a website?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Colanboy View Post
    What they will achieve in terms of medals is far from certain, but to categorize them as fallen former stars is presumptuous. They are still very much rising IMO.
    I do agree. If by 2016 they still havent achieved anything then perhaps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    I agree! He should have finished way ahead of Fernandez on PCS.
    If you judge based on reputation alone, sure, why not just award Takahashi a trophy for Mr. Congeniality and be done with skating? Based on performance tonight, Fernandez is clearly better than any of the Japanese men.

Custom Title
    Max Aaron is a beast!!
    That rink literally looks too small for him, he looks like a demon unleashed.
    He is all quads (not talking bout just his jumps)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Patrick Chan sure likes to show that cleavage.
    Maybe some people like to watch b/c I didn't even notice.

Just kind of jumping in here, but...

Who does the ISU think they're fooling? If they think they're going to get through Sochi without a MAJOR scandal and negative press eruption, they're delusional. It seems like I can't get through a single skating competition without at least one result that leaves me scratching my head with jaw open.

I don't understand. Figure skating is on the decline in nearly every country in the world except parts of Asia. It's not really in the mainstream press except during the Olympics; in the grand scheme of things Worlds don't matter that much. But suddenly you get to the Olympics and it is THE glitter sport of the event and every eye is trained upon it, and the ISU thinks it'll be okay? Figure skating's credibility is going to be RIPPED APART in Sochi. If you thought the men's event in Vancouver was drama-worthy, wait till ice dance in Sochi...or pairs...or ladies...or men's. Each discipline has got a major catastrophe waiting to happen because we've seen it played out time and time again over the last four years.

Honestly, at this point if the competition in Sochi is anything like Worlds, I'm expecting SLC levels of outrage. People are going to be pissed and it is NOT going to be good for the ISU. How are they supposed to get good publicity, more sponsors and increased sport participation? It'll be the joke of the winter Olympics!

Anyone who thinks that we're going to get through Sochi without some filthy scoring and legitimate outrage is deluding themselves. It makes me sad, because no major sponsor is going to want to associate themselves with a sport that is just ripe for controversy and drama. Why would a company like say, Kelloggs want to throw their support behind a talented athlete like Patrick Chan because they know that his bad press (by association) is their bad press? No can do. No wonder it took Marlie so long to pick up a major endorsement with all the craziness between them and V/M.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just really fed up with everything. But this is not going to end well.

Custom Title
    Call me stupid but I think that today Reynolds was better than Chan! How could the difference be so huge? Kevin did not fall! Yes he was not as good as he was in 4 CC or the nationals. I think that being the last skater worked against him. But what I want to say is that Patrick should have scored just a bit less than Reynolds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    When even the British Eurosport guys talk about how it would be the shoddiest performance to win etc etc, you know it's bad, since they never have a bad word to say about anyone.
    Nah, don't turn them into saints. They are quite opinionated and biased. Fun to hear but their biases are also quite obvious.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    If you judge based on reputation alone, sure, why not just award Takahashi a trophy for Mr. Congeniality and be done with skating? Based on performance tonight, Fernandez is clearly better than any of the Japanese men.
    Why not? The current World Champion consistently wins based on reputation.

Yeah yeah, point out how he deserved every point he got in COP...We heard it a million times.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Just kind of jumping in here, but...

Who does the ISU think they're fooling? If they think they're going to get through Sochi without a MAJOR scandal and negative press eruption, they're delusional. It seems like I can't get through a single skating competition without at least one result that leaves me scratching my head with jaw open.

I don't understand. Figure skating is on the decline in nearly every country in the world except parts of Asia. It's not really in the mainstream press except during the Olympics; in the grand scheme of things Worlds don't matter that much. But suddenly you get to the Olympics and it is THE glitter sport of the event and every eye is trained upon it, and the ISU thinks it'll be okay? Figure skating's credibility is going to be RIPPED APART in Sochi. If you thought the men's event in Vancouver was drama-worthy, wait till ice dance in Sochi...or pairs...or ladies...or men's. Each discipline has got a major catastrophe waiting to happen because we've seen it played out time and time again over the last four years.

Honestly, at this point if the competition in Sochi is anything like Worlds, I'm expecting SLC levels of outrage. People are going to be pissed and it is NOT going to be good for the ISU. How are they supposed to get good publicity, more sponsors and increased sport participation? It'll be the joke of the winter Olympics!

Anyone who thinks that we're going to get through Sochi without some filthy scoring and legitimate outrage is deluding themselves. It makes me sad, because no major sponsor is going to want to associate themselves with a sport that is just ripe for controversy and drama. Why would a company like say, Kelloggs want to throw their support behind a talented athlete like Patrick Chan because they know that his bad press (by association) is their bad press? No can do. No wonder it took Marlie so long to pick up a major endorsement with all the craziness between them and V/M.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just really fed up with everything. But this is not going to end well.
    Very well said. I hope the judges and ISU would be wise enough to not allow a result like tonight in Sochi. If they do it could be the final death knall on the sport.

Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast