Absolute Skating has some terrific tweets from the press conference that make Denis Ten and Javier Fernandez adorable, for what it's worth.
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)
1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 267.78 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 266.48 Free Skate
3. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 249.06 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 244.99 Free Skate
5. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 239.98 Free Skate
6. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 239.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Max AARON (USA) - 238.36 Free Skate
8. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 234.18 Free Skate
9. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 232.26
10. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 229.00 Free Skate
11. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 216.84
12. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 216.83
13. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 216.60
14. Ross MINER (USA) - 211.90
15. Nan SONG (CHN) 207.68
16. Misha GE (UZB) - 207.50
17. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 207.40
18. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 204.29
19. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 192.19
20. Viktor PFEIFER (AUT) - 189.44 Free Skate
21. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 180.50
22. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 177.09
23. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 174.98
24. Justus STRID (DEN) - 165.23
Max Aaron is a beast!!
That rink literally looks too small for him, he looks like a demon unleashed.
He is all quads (not talking bout just his jumps)
Just kind of jumping in here, but...
Who does the ISU think they're fooling? If they think they're going to get through Sochi without a MAJOR scandal and negative press eruption, they're delusional. It seems like I can't get through a single skating competition without at least one result that leaves me scratching my head with jaw open.
I don't understand. Figure skating is on the decline in nearly every country in the world except parts of Asia. It's not really in the mainstream press except during the Olympics; in the grand scheme of things Worlds don't matter that much. But suddenly you get to the Olympics and it is THE glitter sport of the event and every eye is trained upon it, and the ISU thinks it'll be okay? Figure skating's credibility is going to be RIPPED APART in Sochi. If you thought the men's event in Vancouver was drama-worthy, wait till ice dance in Sochi...or pairs...or ladies...or men's. Each discipline has got a major catastrophe waiting to happen because we've seen it played out time and time again over the last four years.
Honestly, at this point if the competition in Sochi is anything like Worlds, I'm expecting SLC levels of outrage. People are going to be pissed and it is NOT going to be good for the ISU. How are they supposed to get good publicity, more sponsors and increased sport participation? It'll be the joke of the winter Olympics!
Anyone who thinks that we're going to get through Sochi without some filthy scoring and legitimate outrage is deluding themselves. It makes me sad, because no major sponsor is going to want to associate themselves with a sport that is just ripe for controversy and drama. Why would a company like say, Kelloggs want to throw their support behind a talented athlete like Patrick Chan because they know that his bad press (by association) is their bad press? No can do. No wonder it took Marlie so long to pick up a major endorsement with all the craziness between them and V/M.
I dunno. Maybe I'm just really fed up with everything. But this is not going to end well.
Call me stupid but I think that today Reynolds was better than Chan! How could the difference be so huge? Kevin did not fall! Yes he was not as good as he was in 4 CC or the nationals. I think that being the last skater worked against him. But what I want to say is that Patrick should have scored just a bit less than Reynolds.