Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1187

Thread: 2013 Worlds Men LP

Custom Title
    Joubert should have finished in the top 5 - not down in 9th. He didn't fall on his backside like many of the others - all he did was under rotate a couple of jumps.

Still, Joubert skated great and both he and the audience were happy with how he did and Brian can feel good that unlike Patrick and some of the others who undeservedly finished so high, he went out on a high note at his last Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    at least they dont fall multiple times like Chanflated Fraud
    Lovely nickname! Chanflated Fraud

So I'm going to take a break from all this Chan talk and give my opinion on Max Aaron now that I've seen his FS. So we can go on about what he lacks, but here's what I liked:

-- Speed. Amazing speed. He needs to work on finessing that speed, but what amazes me is that he doesn't have to do a ton of crossovers to get there...in fact while he doesn't have the BEST transitions, he doesn't lack them either.
    -- Core strength. I mentioned this when noting his collision on the boards after the 3A. He could have fell, but he definitely had the core strength to stay upright despite crashing super fast.
    -- Plan B. When he missed his 4S jump, he smartly replaced the 2A-1L-3S with a 3Z-1L-3S to get extra points. Clearly he had this plan B in the wings.
    -- You get the sense that he practices like this every day. He seems to know the program inside and out and really depends on muscle memory when things are off.

So yes, he needs to work on better choreography. And better skating skills. But I think he brings a lot to the table too and I'll be rooting for him (actually I had him as a dark horse a while ago) from here on out.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Max Aaron was impressive for all the above reasons. I'm just not convinced that I'll ever really enjoy his skating. Oh well, all my favorites tend to be headcases, so I should be used to having skaters I don't particularly like experience more success. Glad his fans are happy, and that he can actually deliver most of his planned elements.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    You were talking about the curse. I was talking about that too. What problem? Lysacek was hated by many too at that time.
    The Canadian curse means that Canadian male singles skaters as the reigning World champions have not won the gold medal at the Olympics:

Orser
    Browning twice
    Stojko

On the other hand every US male singles skater as the reigning World champion has won the gold at the Olympics:

Button
    Hayes Alan Jenkins
    David Jenkins
    Hamilton
    Lysacek

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Max Aaron was impressive for all the above reasons. I'm just not convinced that I'll ever really enjoy his skating. Oh well, all my favorites tend to be headcases, so I should be used to having skaters I don't particularly like experience more success. Glad his fans are happy, and that he can actually deliver most of his planned elements.
    That's okay. You are not obligated to enjoy any skater. I promise. I get why some people don't care for him, but I personally can appreciate him for the above reasons and enjoy his programs.

Also I just watched Ross Miner's FS. I was sort of dreading it as the way people were talking it was a complete meltdown. It wasn't. Granted it was far, far from his best, but by no means are we talking Alissa Czisny-level circa last year meltdown. He's had a few bad competitions and I'm hoping it will put a fire under him to improve like it did when he had a poor GP a few seasons back and struggled with the 3A.

It wasn't only a Canadian curse before Vancouver. People simply called it the World Champion's curse since it also happened to Plushenko in 2002 and Lambiel in 2006. I remember many people, who believed in the curse (either sincerely or jokingly), thought Evan would succumb to it as well. Once Scott Hamilton pointed out that the curse didn't affect an American World Champion coming into the Olympics and Evan won Vancouver, then people started to either talk about the American exception or calling it a Canadian Curse.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Joubert should have finished in the top 5 - not down in 9th. He didn't fall on his backside like many of the others - all he did was under rotate a couple of jumps.

Still, Joubert skated great and both he and the audience were happy with how he did and Brian can feel good that unlike Patrick and some of the others who undeservedly finished so high, he went out on a high note at his last Worlds.
    I would have like Joubert to have placed higher as well, but his last jump element was not ratified because he repeated too many jumps, not just because he had some under rotations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    So not like Plushy, Plushenko actually delivered his jumps.
    Plushenko earned his status because when he won an event it was usually because he never fell. 2004 euros he lost and did he fall in 2004 worlds? But anyway 90% or more no falls ever. He was just much much better than chan was in how he won events!

Medalist
    On a side note though, did anyone else notice that Denis' programs both used music from The Artist? I don't know why, but I kind of like the idea of having two programs compliment each other like that. I am all for skaters conveying a story in their performance, and I personally think that this isn't a bad method of doing so. Not that I have anything against contrasting programs to show diversity though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    It wasn't only a Canadian curse before Vancouver. People simply called it the World Champion's curse since it also happened to Plushenko in 2002 and Lambiel in 2006. I remember many people, who believed in the curse (either sincerely or jokingly), thought Evan would succumb to it as well. Once Scott Hamilton pointed out that the curse didn't affect an American World Champion coming into the Olympics and Evan won Vancouver, then people started to either talk about the American exception or calling it a Canadian Curse.
    Actually ´till 2002 it was mentioned as the Canadian curse. Stojko competed as the reigning World champion at the 1998 Olympics. Anyway, it definetely seems to me that the problem has been mainly the Canadian one, LOL, and now it could be described as a global one concerning the World champions (with the exception of Lysacek of course). So, Chan is affected for both the Canadian curse and the general WC one...

I have not watched the competition yet, but about Joubert: Apparently he had downgrades in his jumps and generally his programmes are not on the same difficulty level as those of many other skaters, but he always is overscored in some PCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Actually ´till 2002 it was mentioned as the Canadian curse. Stojko competed as the reigning World champion at the 1998 Olympics. Anyway, it definetely seems to me that the problem has been mainly the Canadian one, LOL, and now it could be described as a global one concerning the World champions (with the exception of Lysacek of course). So, Chan is affected for both the Canadian curse and the general WC one...
    Oh yeah, that is true. I guess I only remember hearing about the curse in a general terms because SLC was the first Olympics I watched as a devoted skating fan and therefore wasn't around when it really was just an Orser, Browning, and Stojko streak.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Well I honestly think Javier Fernandez should have won. He was the ONLY guy today who had a real program and his jumping was just fine. Yes, he popped a couple, but let's not forget he was attempting the hardest jump layout of the entire competition and 6 out of 8 of his jumping passes were gorgeous (including two Quads and a Triple Axel).

Denis Ten was indeed bland, with a typically empty Frank Carroll program, and he even totally broke the flow and interpretation of the performance by halting and doing those ridiculous fist pumps before going into the last spin. He doubled two jumps as well. It was a strong technical effort, enough that he deserved to also go ahead of Chan, but he wouldn't have been a good World Champion either.

Hanyu was technically the best of the night and I would have put him 2nd in the LP. 4th place overall was correct for him after that massively flawed SP, though. I hope he gets a more interesting LP again next year. Something that allows him to display his heart and passion.

I'm very glad Kevin Reynolds was only in 5th place. Those < calls were deserved. He probably should have placed one slot lower, even.

Joubert probably should have been in 5th place. I don't agree with the two < calls he received and his Zayak violation should have resulted in a 3S being called as a 2S, rather than what CoP voiding the entire last element out...I still can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. It's inexcusable. He was basically screwed out of at least 8 points here.

Max Aaron did a solid job at this competition, with two credible performances. His jumping is excellent and he has great confidence and energy. Needs to get better choreography now and work on improving the fluidity of his body. Consistently putting a 3Toe onto the end of a jump also seems to be the one flaw in his jumping right now, so he should work on getting that more consistent. Please don't be a Joubert and ignore it. His 7th place was deserved.

Takahito Mura skated so well in the LP, I was impressed! I would have put him 4th in that segment, actually. 8th place overall is correct since he had that huge mistake in the SP.

Takahashi...it's too bad his Quad jump left him after Japanese Nationals. I think undeservedly losing the National title to Hanyu this season, after skating PHENOMENALLY, really hurt his confidence. I hope next season he can keep his programs together better even if he messes up on the Quad(s). That mistake on the second Triple Axel in this performance was a disastrous one and the Loop was wobbly too. After all of those jump mistakes, not selling the program nearly as much as he's capable of, and the program not being great to begin with...there's not enough to score him on. I'd have him 10th in the LP and only 9th overall. :(

I hate the IJS!!! Chan is a great skater, but isn't a great champion!!! It's not good for fiure skatnig..stupid scoring system...and the judges!!! 82.13 for TES???!!!!!!!!!!

The free skates were quite a let down in general. Alot of the men just seemed exhausted.

Yuzuru was actually pretty good in his free considering his knee program and the illness he had after 4cc. I felt so sorry for him after the short and i was almost shouting at the tv when he landed jumps as wanted him to do well. Yes he didn't have the energy he has when well but adore him and he still had something charismatic in his style. i think being able to land the quad and skate quite clean he did an amazing job. Too bad didn't quite reach the podium. He had been my pick to win. I think he will win next year's world barring any illness.

Javier i think came back quite strong and glad he made the podium. He has beautiful quads, and i like how he plays to the audience in this program. Still prefered Yuzuru but both were good. I think he seems such a nice character on and off ice.

Dai, my gosh the way he moves on the ice like a dancer he commands your attention. He will always be one of my favourite even when he doesn't medal. Its unfortunate he is tired and couldn't land a clean quad anymore as if he managed his quads i think he could have won. Now he is not on the podium which was a surprise to me. I hope he does not overdo it before Olympics.

Patrick, well i adore this program and his skating skills. Those soft edges and his transitions. I do think he is improving artistically but i did not expect him to be as bad after he landed 2 beautiful quads. When he fell on the 3 lz i thought he would still hold it together. Along with Dai and Yuzuru he is a favourite but i kind of wished he got second. I don't think he had a championship performance and i want him to address he needs to work harder next season. He was great on practice and gained back his modivation for skating prior to Worlds but seems performance wise when something went wrong he couldn't relay on past skates for this season to help him be confident.His coach didn't look upset and i wonder if this arrangement is to his benefit.

Brian Joubert, loved how he worked so hard and performs for the audience. He is so powerful and its a shame his marks were not rewarded more. Glad he is happy with himself though.

Denis Ten, well he stepped up again. Really good all around skater. I remember when he was with TT. Always considered having raw talented but he really went for it and had the best performance of the night. Even did the quad which he couldnt do all season. Even though i love Patrick i kind of wished Denis won overall. Looking forward to seeing his twitter on GS. He gets a gold medal for his free skate.Well done.

Kevin, his performances don't really excite or move me yet and i prefer more speed and power but its a shame about the under rotations. He has improved so much over this season and iam glad he at least got some rewards this season.

My podium picks were Yuzuru, Patrick then Dai. Hopefully i can still dream of them medaling at Olympics but wish they all skate at their best level. For Freeskating tonight i would have had it Denis Ten, Yuzuru, Patrick, Javier,Dai, Brian. I didn't see Rogozine and think cbc should have shown him. Russia could have done with having him this year.

Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast