2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

PS. :)

As for the argument that Patrick deserved to win because everybody knows his skating skills are superior to Dennis Ten's -- no, I don't buy that at all. I don't care if you are Superman, you still have to deliver the goods when your name is called.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think that highlights yet another problem with the IJS.

Patrick got full base value of 11.00 for his unsuccessful attempt at a 3F+1Lo+3S combination. He lost only 1.30 in GOE for a whopping 9.70 points net. (I know, I know -- he got in the rotations).

He got base value of 6.60 for an under-rotated triple Axel with a fall, and he got a base value of 6.00 for a fall on a triple Lutz. Even after UR penalty, maximum negative GOE, and fall penalties, he still netted 5.50 points for the two. (I know, I know -- he rotated the Lutz before falling and he got at least most of the way around on the Axel before falling.)

That is a lot of points for failed tricks that did nothing but mar the program. (But according the IJS, they didn't mar the program much -- just a couple of points in overall PCS.)

(Again, I am not faulting Patrick -- he didn't fall on purpose, and he didn't design the CoP.)

I'm confused, Math. Weren't these rules for everyone equally? Or they were just giving Patrick the extra BV?

It is the rules (and their application) that I am finding fault with, not Patrick.

Just because the rules apply to everyone, that does not make them good rules.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Can you explain this:

Ten's SP:

SS range 7.50 - 8.75 average SS=8.07

Ten's LP:

SS range 8.25 - 9.50 average SS=8.54

Will he improve that much in SS in two days?

In fact, every single category in Ten's PCS "has improved" in two days. TR from SP 7.89 to LP 8.43. PE from SP 8.39 to LP 8.89. CH from SP 8.11 to LP 8.86. IN from SP 8.29 to LP 8.86.

On the contrary, Chan's every single category in PCS was lowered from SP to LP (rightfully, of course). However, if you see the rising in PCS from SP to LP is normal, as in Ten's case, Chan's abnormal lowered PCS from SP to LP has already factored in the mistakes he had in his LP.

There was only one judge who gave Chan 9.5 for SS. Why don't you say that there was another judge who gave him 8.75 for SS?

Will Ten's 9.50 and 9.00 in SS in LP be totally off the wall too?

ETA:

There was NO 9.5 in PE in Chan's LP. The highest he got in PE was from only one judge. That judge gave him 9.25. The lowest PE he got was from one judge who gave him 8.00.

You make absolute sense.
The door was opened and no one went through it.
The Japanese team appeared decimated and skated very poorly for whatever reason. It was sad to see . I was looking forward to a wonderful men's event and didnt get it.
Ten was consistent in both programs and his PCS shouldnt really have jumped so much. It seemed that the judges gifted him the higher PCS to award the free skate to him and to make a point to Chan.
The quality of Skating between Patrick and Denis is night and day in Patricks favour.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They're just subjective numbers for GOE and PCS like 5.1 or 5.5 or 6.0 was a number in the old system. :yes:

Exactly. I don't get why there's people crying to go back to 6.0? The judges could have easily placed Chan ahead 5.1/5.9 of Ten 5.5/5.5 if they wanted to. I think people are complaining because Ten won the FS and under 6.0 that would have meant Patrick would have lost. If it were the other way around where Chan bombed his SP and then skated lights out in the FS, people would be saying to keep the IJS to make him accountable for a poor SP. :rolleye:

Also, subjectivity in 6.0 was even worse. A fall is supposed to be a mandatory -0.4, but there are many freeskates where a favourite skater would fall and still score 5.7/5.8 TES.