Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1187

Thread: 2013 Worlds Men LP

News Opining on Worlds: The plight and misuse of program components

Pretty good and clear-headed analysis of the men's competitions by Jackie Wong. (May also be related to the Carolina-in-second-after-the-short debate.)

He argues that Chan deservingly and convincingly won the short program, but Ten performed well enough in the LP to close the gap between him and Chan from the SP.

http://www.examiner.com/article/opin...ram-components

But one thing has to be noted - nowhere in the IJS criteria for components does it explicitly mention that a fall equates lower component marks. That's often the go-to line for those trying to dispute results that they don't like. More subtly, the only component that comes into play is in the Performance/Execution mark, where "clarity of movement," which takes about the "precise execution of any movement," can and should be interpreted as an area for consideration when it comes to falls.

Why? The idea was to clearly separate the technical side on the technical mark - so falls, poor landings, well-executed jumps, strong spins, etc., would be taken care of in the technical elements score. The program components score is more of a big-picture mark that takes the overall performance into account.

A fall that doesn't disrupt the program and the skater's performance of it? That doesn't - and shouldn't - do much to the components mark.
    That was precisely the conversation last year at Worlds when it was Chan vs. Takahashi. A fall that completely disrupts the program and takes the skater completely out of the performance of the program? That is what doesn't get addressed nearly enough.

Chan's and Ten's skating are so similar, they skate in same style..don't you think?

skating philosopher
    So a bit of humor from Mr. Max Aaron to lighten things up:

https://twitter.com/MaxTAaron/status/312759341663006721

Left my mark in London! Thanks to everyone for the support. It's been quite the journey #fsworlds13 http://instagr.am/p/W5wQtCo2L4/

Lol he actually chipped part of the board off! Insane that he didn't damage his skates. Hope he doesn't have to pay for damages.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Chan's and Ten's skating are so similar, they skate in same style..don't you think?
    Yes.

Not sure if Ten is as fast, or powerful as Chan but of the top men yes they seem the most similar. I do think Patrick improved his artistry but its difficult to see as a whole when flawed in the FS.

I hope Dai is invited to the Gala.

Anyone have a link to the small medal ceremony for the men's free? Just wanted to see Denis with his gold, Patrick silver and Yuzuru Bronze for their Free programs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    So has the list for who's invited to the gala been announced/circulating for the mens? I'm wondering if yuzuru will withdraw considering his injury
    What injury? He simply physically can't skate (cheers to orser ).

Daisuke has been invited for gala (to save Chan's face ), as well as Joubert and Kevin. Yuzu won't be in gala.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFgIt42CAAAqX92.jpg:large

Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Not sure if Ten is as fast, or powerful as Chan but of the top men yes they seem the most similar. I do think Patrick improved his artistry but its difficult to see as a whole when flawed in the FS.

I hope Dai is invited to the Gala.
    I always thought Chan and Kozuka are similar as far as the skating skills go.

Knew Kevin would but thankful for Dai , and Brian is such a showman.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I always thought Chan and Kozuka are similar as far as the skating skills go.
    Yes cannot forget Kozuka. I missed him at Worlds. Hoping for Dai, Yuzuru and Kozuka for Olympics.

Rinkside
    Digging through here without success. My DVR cut off the latter half of the men's freeskate. Augh! Right before Daisuke and Patrick Chan, no, really, I haven't seen it yet. Any ideas of where I can view the latter half of the men's freeskate? It's been hell trying to avoid spoilers.

iam not sure how you can avoid a spoiler. I don't see the entire men's FS on the cbc sight but they have the ladies. Why not just get it individually from YT

Dai http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2aMBXSFpk didn't notice comments for that video.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Imho NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems that I really belong to minority.
    I think Chan deserves this title.
    I think that eye-popping skating skills & 4T3T/4T3T/4T(vs D10's 4T/4T) make up for a few big mistakes.

Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 LastLast