Thread: Figure skating-Kim unable to lift sagging interest at worlds

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Figure skating-Kim unable to lift sagging interest at worlds

My understanding was that the arenas were full for the short programs. Apparently I was wrong...

http://news.yahoo.com/figure-skating...3043--spt.html

Miserere Nobis
    "Tracie" Gold? Are you kidding me?

I could understand getting one of the Russian girls' names wrong, but the level of skating journalism seems to be on the decline everywhere. Do your research, people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    "Tracie" Gold? Are you kidding me?

I could understand getting one of the Russian girls' names wrong, but the level of skating journalism seems to be on the decline everywhere. Do your research, people.

at least the propaganda was minimal

Custom Title
    Tracie Gold, huh? Maybe she can do a free skate to the Growing Pains theme song

Miserere Nobis
    I dearly hope that Mr. Steve Keating is never in a position where he has to spell "Elizaveta Tuktamysheva," "Adelina Sotnikova," or even "Kaetlyn Osmond."

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Why haven't USFS and SC addressed this yet?

What they need to do:

1) Hire a producer responsible for The Hills/Kardashians/etc.
    2) Have them come up with some kind of ridiculous fake controversy that has a chance of getting picked up by the media outlets
    3) Pay some skaters to play along with it. For example, make sure Tracie Gold 'accidentally' knocks over her main rival during the warm-up (or practice) at US Nationals.
    etc.

= profit.

Wait for the LP on Saturday evening. Thursday afternoon wasn't a good time for many who were working. I'm sure the arena will be more full for the LP.

Tripping on the Podium
    Perhaps some of the reasons for the less than full arena at this year's World's is financial. An all event ticket is over one thousand dollars and you can count on the hotels raising their rates for the few days the world's are held there.

It certainly deterred me. I only live three hundred miles away and 3-4 thousand dollars for five days at World's was too rich for my blood. I am a die hard figure skating fan. So I am watching from my living room and reading this board. Perhaps it is time for the World's organizers to take into account the world financial situation.

jfdw

Custom Title
    I agree with the diagnosis given in the article, that the North American viewing public wants a homegrown star and Olympic [ladies] champion to lure them back into the viewing fold.

-If Gracie Gold won gold, skating's visibility would explode in the US.

-I wonder, would Kaetlyn Osmond winning Olympic gold translate into a similar North American bonanza, and not just in Canada?