What should I expect in adult Basic Skills? | Golden Skate

What should I expect in adult Basic Skills?

R

rachelstarlet

What should I expect in adult Basic Skills?

Hi everyone-

I just graduated from high school, and after waiting for what seems like forever, I am finally signed up to take a Basic Skills class, beginning next Wednesday.

I can already do *some* stuff on the ice - forward crossovers, one foot glides on both edges - just your basic stuff when you mess around at the rink by yourself a lot :) My question is, what should I expect to learn in the class? I really want to learn to do backward crossovers proficiently, and I'd love to learn a waltz jump by the end of eight weeks, maybe some three turns... are my goals too lofty? If you took Basic Skills classes, what did you learn?

-Rachel

L

Lanechka

Re: What should I expect in adult Basic Skills?

I don't think they're lofty at all. :) I was, before switching to a coach, on the ISI track and I learned threes and a waltz in about seven or eight weeks (the waltz only because our teacher got fed up with us asking, teach us a jump, teach us a jump!). I'll be a HS grad next year..

-Lanie

A

alison88

Hi,
I'm taking adult learn to skate lessons...so fun(except for the fear part..ekkk)
I could just skate forwards at first, but more now. If you can do forwards crossovers then three turns are close to next, though you may want to think about both two foot turns and gliding backwards. Backward on one foot both on the flat and on the edge. (And picking up your other foot when you just skate backwards.) My three turns bring me to a dead halt.
This is where I am, maybe you are much farther.
Alison.

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Your goals are not too lofty, but don't beat yourself up if you don't get all of those skills that quickly. It took me forever to get three turns, and now I'm re-learning them on new skates and blades. Take you time and don't get frustrated with what doesn't come easily. Most of all, enjoy yourself--this is supposed to be fun, not torture!!!:rollin:

G

Glacierskater

Rachel,
If you have already learned what you say "just messing around" without guidance, then I do not think that your goals are lofty at all. I think that people should have assertive goals. If you practice what you learn, then you should progress fairly well. You might benefit from a private lesson or two if you can swing it. Good luck to you, and practice, practice, practice!

L

lil icesk8er915

Those a great goals! It depends on what kind of program and coaches they have. It varies from place to place.