Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by daphna View Post
    what I hope Chan is saving for the olympics is a fall on every element and a last place finish. damn it, i just can't stand him!
    Well regardless of your dislike of Chan to say what you did above is the lowest in sportsmanship. Regardless of what your opinion is he has a family who likely read or hear about the tone of this board. He has worked towards the Olympics for a good many years and his family likely like all other skating families have sacrificed much.

He did not give himself his marks. I can understand your feelings that the marks were unfair but to post what you did is vile. I have seen many win over the last 40 years who in my opinion should not have but I would never wish that any competitor in the Olympics would fall on every jump and come last.

You should be ashamed of posting such a comment and claim to be a lover of the sport of figure skating.

jfdw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jfdw View Post
    Well regardless of your dislike of Chan to say what you did above is the lowest in sportsmanship. Regardless of what your opinion is he has a family who likely read or hear about the tone of this board.
    if that is the case that is terrific and all the more reason to keep posting like the poster you quoted did, as Chan and his family, and anyone associated with him deserve all the heat and misery you are suggesting they get by such heavy and widespread vile criticsm for two blatantly undeserved World titles. It is wonderful that there is a price to be payed (according to you) for success that was unearned and a poor and arrogant attitude about that unearned success on top of that. It is some compensation to the many skating fans that have seen their sport fall into a sinkhole largely thanks to Chan and his scores, but moreso the other skaters who worked their own behinds off just as much as Chan, and outperformed him and did not fall around the ice, and were unfairly deprived of titles and medals that they earned and yet were wrongfully given to him repeatedly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    Bah! Yuzuru is Patrick 2.0.

Another that can't keep himself vertical. No thanks.
    True. I would much rather see Fernandez as Olympic Champion. It is too bad he did not have a better SP, as I am sure he would have won the title here otherwise. Most importantly though I want the skater (whoever it is) who deserves it on the day to be awared the gold, something that clearly did not happen here, or last year.

Custom Title

Yuzuru got injured after 4CC and lost training time. He is just in his second year senior. Had he not won the bronze last year, he will be just another unknown promising skater, so I wouldn't categorize him as PChan 2.0 Lets give him another 3-4 years before we ditch him.

Banned
    Hanyu is the 2nd most overscored and held up skater in any discipline today outside of Chan. His win at Japanese Nationals this year as a farce. His win over Fernandez in one of last years grand prixes was also a farce. Like Chan he falls repeatedly and is held up by inflated GOE and PCS. I agree seeing the torch passed from Chan to Hanyu will not be any kind of improvement, and the last thing the sport needs. Well of course Hanyu is young and still could improve alot, but right now that is not what one should root for.

Unlike Chan, Hanyu actually has quite immature artistry and style (relative to the other top men of course) in addition to his consistency issues on jumps. I was glad to see appropriate PCS for him at this years Worlds for once, one of the few things the judges scoring the mens event did correctly.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    if that is the case that is terrific and all the more reason to keep posting like the poster you quoted did, as Chan and his family, and anyone associated with him deserve all the heat and misery you are suggesting they get by such heavy and widespread vile criticsm for two blatantly undeserved World titles. It is wonderful that there is a price to be payed (according to you) for success that was unearned and a poor and arrogant attitude about that unearned success on top of that. It is some compensation to the many skating fans that have seen their sport fall into a sinkhole largely thanks to Chan and his scores, but moreso the other skaters who worked their own behinds off just as much as Chan, and outperformed him and did not fall around the ice, and were unfairly deprived of titles and medals that they earned and yet were wrongfully given to him repeatedly.
    Dearie
    You have missed my point of the post. I in no way said he should have won. I am sure he and his family are taking all the heat that you say they so deserve. I hope that if any skater from you country wins and many feel that they should not have won no one posts that they hope they fall on every jump and place last in the Olympics or any other competition. I still feel that is not a sportmanlike post to make. But you rant on and I defend your right to your opinion to rant and post what you please but in turn I have the right to post that I felt it an inappropriate remark to make.
    jfdw

Custom Title
    I'm pretty sure PTF is Canadian, actually.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jfdw View Post
    Dearie
    You have missed my point of the post. I in no way said he should have won. I am sure he and his family are taking all the heat that you say they so deserve. I hope that if any skater from you country wins and many feel that they should not have won no one posts that they hope they fall on every jump and place last in the Olympics or any other competition. I still feel that is not a sportmanlike post to make. But you rant on and I defend your right to your opinion to rant and post what you please but in turn I have the right to post that I felt it an inappropriate remark to make.
    jfdw
    Well my way of looking at is normally it would be unsportsmanlike to wish any skater to fall on every jump, and usually I wouldnt wish such misfortune on even my least favorites skaters, or even a bad skate per say. However this is a very unique case as the judges have made it clear Chan can fall atleast 7 times and win any event, it makes him a special case where those of us who wish for him to not win the Oly Gold (and surely it is understandable even why most Canadians cant stomach cheering for him after nights like tonight) has to hope for 8 or more falls from him, and there is only 8 jumping passes in a long program and 11 in the two combined so......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'm pretty sure PTF is Canadian, actually.
    I definitely am and contrary to some posters insinuations I am not anti Canadian. I rooted hard for Browning, Stojko, Orser, Brasseur & Eisler, Bourne & Kraatz, Dubreuil & Lauzon, and others for years. The only Canadians I havent rooted for are ones with major attitudes who are often held up by judges like Sale & Pelletier (and even I think they were robbed of the 2002 Oly Gold, hence the appropriate scandal), Chan, and Scott Moir (I like Tessa Virtue though). I was one of the biggest defenders of Stojko losing the 94 Oly Gold IMO wrongfully, the bloc judging against B&K in 1998, and so on. Generally I am very pro Canadian, with a few exceptions.

Custom Title

Here is what happened as opposed to the usual hyper negativity spin by Phil Hersh

Here is the context of Chan's quote: He was being interviewed immediately after the men's FS at K&C prior to the award ceremony. The question he was asked : "You said, at every World Championship, you learn a lesson or two. What's the lesson you learned this time?"

Chan: Looking embarrassed, didn't know what to say, the interviewer added jokingly : "Maybe that the competition has two phases as opposed to one?" in an apparent reference to his superb SP but underwhelming LP. Then Chan replied to the joke by saying: "Maybe I am saving it for the Olympics, LOL!"

It was a joke replying to a joke. That's it.

Given that human communication is in fact 90% non-verbal, by strictly taking the verbal part, spice it up - voila another quote taken out of the context to rile up and pump up the haters' convention - and to ensure most people who didn't see how it was said and why it was said will be guaranteed to misunderstand it.

I just don't get it. Why does Phil Hersh do this? Does he still have any sense of professionalism left or he really wants to destroy this sport with his tabloids and manipulative quotes? He once said, during the 2010 Olympic season that the only way Joannie Rochette could possibly beat Yu Na Kim was that Kim started to roll on ice and that the only person who could challenge Kim and finish 2nd was Rachael Flatt. Fast forward 2 months later, Joannie became a household name and every journalist wants a piece of her - he suddenly became 1000% more congenial towards Joannie. Hypocrisy anyone?

If he continues to behave like this, I think many people will refuse to grant him interviews or answer his questions knowing that he will spin and quote you out of context. Then, perhaps the haters will need to find a new source for their War on Chan.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Well my way of looking at is normally it would be unsportsmanlike to wish any skater to fall on every jump, and usually I wouldnt wish such misfortune on even my least favorites skaters, or even a bad skate per say. However this is a very unique case as the judges have made it clear Chan can fall atleast 7 times and win any event, it makes him a special case where those of us who wish for him to not win the Oly Gold (and surely it is understandable even why most Canadians cant stomach cheering for him after nights like tonight) has to hope for 8 or more falls from him, and there is only 8 jumping passes in a long program and 11 in the two combined so......

As I have said we all have the right to post what we feel . I respect you for that. We have a different thought on the original post and each have a right to that thought and opinion. Let us close this paricular discussion like mature adults I respect and have read your post thorughly and know you are a dedicated fan of figure skating. I in no way think you are anti Canadian. Please continue to post your thoughts your post are well thought out and interesting. Let us hope the ladies and the free dance are judged well and everyone will be pleased with the outcome regardless of who wins. I hope the one who skates the best does regardless of their nationality.
    jfdw

Miserere Nobis

Yuzu had a sprained ankle and was stuffed with painkillers. I thought he did very well, considering the circumstances.

ETA: Oh, and he suffers from pretty horrible asthma. Cut the kid a break.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Yuzu had a sprained ankle and was stuffed with painkillers. I thought he did very well, considering the circumstances.

ETA: Oh, and he suffers from pretty horrible asthma. Cut the kid a break.
    That doesnt change that many of us dont like his skating as much as the judges do, and arent excited about the prospect as another fall happy skater as Chans so called heir apparent, and are hoping that is (if there need be one) be someone else.

The thing that can be said in favor of Hersh is that he treats figure skating like a sport and he treats skaters the way sportwriters treat all athletes (as canon fodder for eye-catching opinion columns ).

When a baseball player strikes out, the next day in the papers the poor guy is the biggest jerk in town, he cost us the game, he probably mistreats his dog.

The bottom line is, Patrick does what the CoP rewards. He does well what the CoP rewards most. We cannot expect him to refuse titles that are thrust upon him, and we cannot be surprised if a feeling of entitlement eventually creeps in.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-16-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Custom Title
    Proper post-competition sound byte remark from Chan for an ugly win like this:
    "I'd like to thank the technical panel and judges for this gift. Clearly, I still have a lot to work on for next season. Thanks. Goodbye." (exit stage left)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast