Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article

jfdw

Rinkside
if that is the case that is terrific and all the more reason to keep posting like the poster you quoted did, as Chan and his family, and anyone associated with him deserve all the heat and misery you are suggesting they get by such heavy and widespread vile criticsm for two blatantly undeserved World titles. It is wonderful that there is a price to be payed (according to you) for success that was unearned and a poor and arrogant attitude about that unearned success on top of that. It is some compensation to the many skating fans that have seen their sport fall into a sinkhole largely thanks to Chan and his scores, but moreso the other skaters who worked their own behinds off just as much as Chan, and outperformed him and did not fall around the ice, and were unfairly deprived of titles and medals that they earned and yet were wrongfully given to him repeatedly.

Dearie
You have missed my point of the post. I in no way said he should have won. I am sure he and his family are taking all the heat that you say they so deserve. I hope that if any skater from you country wins and many feel that they should not have won no one posts that they hope they fall on every jump and place last in the Olympics or any other competition. I still feel that is not a sportmanlike post to make. But you rant on and I defend your right to your opinion to rant and post what you please but in turn I have the right to post that I felt it an inappropriate remark to make.
jfdw

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Dearie
You have missed my point of the post. I in no way said he should have won. I am sure he and his family are taking all the heat that you say they so deserve. I hope that if any skater from you country wins and many feel that they should not have won no one posts that they hope they fall on every jump and place last in the Olympics or any other competition. I still feel that is not a sportmanlike post to make. But you rant on and I defend your right to your opinion to rant and post what you please but in turn I have the right to post that I felt it an inappropriate remark to make.
jfdw

Well my way of looking at is normally it would be unsportsmanlike to wish any skater to fall on every jump, and usually I wouldnt wish such misfortune on even my least favorites skaters, or even a bad skate per say. However this is a very unique case as the judges have made it clear Chan can fall atleast 7 times and win any event, it makes him a special case where those of us who wish for him to not win the Oly Gold (and surely it is understandable even why most Canadians cant stomach cheering for him after nights like tonight) has to hope for 8 or more falls from him, and there is only 8 jumping passes in a long program and 11 in the two combined so......

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm pretty sure PTF is Canadian, actually.

I definitely am and contrary to some posters insinuations I am not anti Canadian. I rooted hard for Browning, Stojko, Orser, Brasseur & Eisler, Bourne & Kraatz, Dubreuil & Lauzon, and others for years. The only Canadians I havent rooted for are ones with major attitudes who are often held up by judges like Sale & Pelletier (and even I think they were robbed of the 2002 Oly Gold, hence the appropriate scandal), Chan, and Scott Moir (I like Tessa Virtue though). I was one of the biggest defenders of Stojko losing the 94 Oly Gold IMO wrongfully, the bloc judging against B&K in 1998, and so on. Generally I am very pro Canadian, with a few exceptions.

wallylutz

Medalist
Here is what happened as opposed to the usual hyper negativity spin by Phil Hersh

Here is the context of Chan's quote: He was being interviewed immediately after the men's FS at K&C prior to the award ceremony. The question he was asked : "You said, at every World Championship, you learn a lesson or two. What's the lesson you learned this time?"

Chan: Looking embarrassed, didn't know what to say, the interviewer added jokingly : "Maybe that the competition has two phases as opposed to one?" in an apparent reference to his superb SP but underwhelming LP. Then Chan replied to the joke by saying: "Maybe I am saving it for the Olympics, LOL!"

It was a joke replying to a joke. That's it.

Given that human communication is in fact 90% non-verbal, by strictly taking the verbal part, spice it up - voila another quote taken out of the context to rile up and pump up the haters' convention - and to ensure most people who didn't see how it was said and why it was said will be guaranteed to misunderstand it.

I just don't get it. Why does Phil Hersh do this? Does he still have any sense of professionalism left or he really wants to destroy this sport with his tabloids and manipulative quotes? He once said, during the 2010 Olympic season that the only way Joannie Rochette could possibly beat Yu Na Kim was that Kim started to roll on ice and that the only person who could challenge Kim and finish 2nd was Rachael Flatt. :laugh: Fast forward 2 months later, Joannie became a household name and every journalist wants a piece of her - he suddenly became 1000% more congenial towards Joannie. Hypocrisy anyone?

If he continues to behave like this, I think many people will refuse to grant him interviews or answer his questions knowing that he will spin and quote you out of context. Then, perhaps the haters will need to find a new source for their War on Chan. :rolleye:

jfdw

Rinkside
Well my way of looking at is normally it would be unsportsmanlike to wish any skater to fall on every jump, and usually I wouldnt wish such misfortune on even my least favorites skaters, or even a bad skate per say. However this is a very unique case as the judges have made it clear Chan can fall atleast 7 times and win any event, it makes him a special case where those of us who wish for him to not win the Oly Gold (and surely it is understandable even why most Canadians cant stomach cheering for him after nights like tonight) has to hope for 8 or more falls from him, and there is only 8 jumping passes in a long program and 11 in the two combined so......

As I have said we all have the right to post what we feel . I respect you for that. We have a different thought on the original post and each have a right to that thought and opinion. Let us close this paricular discussion like mature adults I respect and have read your post thorughly and know you are a dedicated fan of figure skating. I in no way think you are anti Canadian. Please continue to post your thoughts your post are well thought out and interesting. Let us hope the ladies and the free dance are judged well and everyone will be pleased with the outcome regardless of who wins. I hope the one who skates the best does regardless of their nationality.
jfdw

ForeverFish

Medalist
Bah! Yuzuru is Patrick 2.0.

Another that can't keep himself vertical. No thanks. :disapp:

Yuzu had a sprained ankle and was stuffed with painkillers. I thought he did very well, considering the circumstances.

ETA: Oh, and he suffers from pretty horrible asthma. Cut the kid a break.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yuzu had a sprained ankle and was stuffed with painkillers. I thought he did very well, considering the circumstances.

ETA: Oh, and he suffers from pretty horrible asthma. Cut the kid a break.

That doesnt change that many of us dont like his skating as much as the judges do, and arent excited about the prospect as another fall happy skater as Chans so called heir apparent, and are hoping that is (if there need be one) be someone else.

The thing that can be said in favor of Hersh is that he treats figure skating like a sport and he treats skaters the way sportwriters treat all athletes (as canon fodder for eye-catching opinion columns :) ).

When a baseball player strikes out, the next day in the papers the poor guy is the biggest jerk in town, he cost us the game, he probably mistreats his dog.

The bottom line is, Patrick does what the CoP rewards. He does well what the CoP rewards most. We cannot expect him to refuse titles that are thrust upon him, and we cannot be surprised if a feeling of entitlement eventually creeps in.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Proper post-competition sound byte remark from Chan for an ugly win like this:
"I'd like to thank the technical panel and judges for this gift. Clearly, I still have a lot to work on for next season. Thanks. Goodbye." (exit stage left)

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I said this in the Men's thread but I wonder if Patrick knows that saying too loudly that he thinks he was marked unfairly that it would be like "biting the hand that feeds him". There is only so much he can say before those controlling his destiny think he is ungrateful.

And wally has it right. The quote in question came from an interview on CBC's coverage. The "saving it for the Olympics" soundbite was an awkward joke. He even apologized for his poor skate. I've intentionally avoided most of the "what Patrick said now" drama as I just want to enjoy what happens on the ice. But some of the vitriol against him as a person really are unnecessary. You can't judge a person's true character through what is presented in the media.

lavender

Record Breaker
I really get why people don't like Chan at all but some of the things said are just going to backfire. Does anyone believe in karma anymore.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Ahhh, okay, so it was a joke. ;) Patrick's version of grinning and bearing it. Still, not really that funny under the circumstances, since there's little reason at this point to believe that Patrick won't win at the Olympics with mistakes. Aside from the ISU not wanting widespread public controversy at that higher profile venue. And maybe Patrick will skate up to his abilities in two programs at the Olympics and the farce of two controversial World championships will be redeemed.

Sure, what else can Chan do but accept the favoritism with as much grace as possible? I agree he's also lucky that Worlds took place in Canada this year where the crowd supported him rather than booing his marks. I think Mathman is correct that inevitably a degree of entitlement, arrogance or expectation can tend to set in. I used to think the judges did Chan no favors by constantly over-rewarding him when he made mistakes, because how else will a skater realize what they need to do to improve? However, it appears that Chan realized he could work on improving his artistry. It seems improving consistency though is on the back burner since it rarely affects his ability to win or stay on the podium.

I don't think my comments are a knock on Chan's character. He's been through a trial by fire as a young man, so he has yet still a lot of growing to do, as do we all no matter our ages and experiences.

As far as karma, that does affect everyone too and none of us escape receiving back what we project. In Chan's case, at least so far, it seems that fs judging karma has tended to be in his favor, big time.

Becki

Medalist
Bah! Yuzuru is Patrick 2.0.

Another that can't keep himself vertical. No thanks. :disapp:

Excuse me, but when did Yuzuru fall 2 times in competition, was still rewarded with high PCs and won the LP? :S

bekalc

Record Breaker

Patrick's comments here are worse. Apparently according to Chan he and Denis made the same number of mistakes. Patrick maybe you need to watch the performances before you commentate. Denis was perfect in the short and merely doubled a jump in the long and a second double toe. By no way does it count the same as falling several times.

Patrick isn't responsible for his scores but he shouldn't be defending them either, especially making comments like this. The worst thing is clearly he doesn't have folks around him telling him the truth.

Eventually this gravy train has to end. It will probably end at the Olympics.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The worst thing is clearly he doesn't have folks around him telling him the truth.

You know, and this is why I feel a bit sorry for Chan. He's being fooled into thinking he doesn't need to change anything because he's going to be rewarded anyway. Instead of this being a wake-up call, like it had the opportunity to be, pushing him into sittng down and re-evaluating things like, getting a real coach, reviewing his programs, etc. Instead they're rewarding his erros, so why should he change them?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You know, and this is why I feel a bit sorry for Chan. He's being fooled into thinking he doesn't need to change anything because he's going to be rewarded anyway. Instead of this being a wake-up call, like it had the opportunity to be, pushing him into sittng down and re-evaluating things like, getting a real coach, reviewing his programs, etc. Instead they're rewarding his erros, so why should he change them?

It would be karma if it all comes back to bite him in the behind at the Olympics. A 4th or 5th place finish would be true justice.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Chan seems like a reasonably intelligent young man. You can't blame him for the scoring, but it's galling that he seems to believe it too. A proper response to a disastrous program like that is, "I'm disappointed I didn't do as well as I wanted to and while I am happy with the result, I will be going home to work even harder for next time". Not making comments about his competitors. ANY athlete who critiques their competitors performance, ESPECIALLY if they've won over them, is beyond classless. You just don't do that. I understand that if you lose to what you feel is a less deserving performance it's easy to critique in the heat of the moment, but if you're the one who came out on top...keep your mouth shut. It's not your place to say who did better.