Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article

Custom Title
    I said this in the Men's thread but I wonder if Patrick knows that saying too loudly that he thinks he was marked unfairly that it would be like "biting the hand that feeds him". There is only so much he can say before those controlling his destiny think he is ungrateful.

And wally has it right. The quote in question came from an interview on CBC's coverage. The "saving it for the Olympics" soundbite was an awkward joke. He even apologized for his poor skate. I've intentionally avoided most of the "what Patrick said now" drama as I just want to enjoy what happens on the ice. But some of the vitriol against him as a person really are unnecessary. You can't judge a person's true character through what is presented in the media.

Custom Title
    I really get why people don't like Chan at all but some of the things said are just going to backfire. Does anyone believe in karma anymore.

Custom Title
    Ahhh, okay, so it was a joke. Patrick's version of grinning and bearing it. Still, not really that funny under the circumstances, since there's little reason at this point to believe that Patrick won't win at the Olympics with mistakes. Aside from the ISU not wanting widespread public controversy at that higher profile venue. And maybe Patrick will skate up to his abilities in two programs at the Olympics and the farce of two controversial World championships will be redeemed.

Sure, what else can Chan do but accept the favoritism with as much grace as possible? I agree he's also lucky that Worlds took place in Canada this year where the crowd supported him rather than booing his marks. I think Mathman is correct that inevitably a degree of entitlement, arrogance or expectation can tend to set in. I used to think the judges did Chan no favors by constantly over-rewarding him when he made mistakes, because how else will a skater realize what they need to do to improve? However, it appears that Chan realized he could work on improving his artistry. It seems improving consistency though is on the back burner since it rarely affects his ability to win or stay on the podium.

I don't think my comments are a knock on Chan's character. He's been through a trial by fire as a young man, so he has yet still a lot of growing to do, as do we all no matter our ages and experiences.

As far as karma, that does affect everyone too and none of us escape receiving back what we project. In Chan's case, at least so far, it seems that fs judging karma has tended to be in his favor, big time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    Bah! Yuzuru is Patrick 2.0.

Another that can't keep himself vertical. No thanks.
    Excuse me, but when did Yuzuru fall 2 times in competition, was still rewarded with high PCs and won the LP? :S

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Excuse me, but when did Yuzuru fall 2 times in competition, was still rewarded with high PCs and won the LP? :S
    Depends on what you mean by high PCS, but he won the NHK LP with two falls.

Patrick's comments here are worse. Apparently according to Chan he and Denis made the same number of mistakes. Patrick maybe you need to watch the performances before you commentate. Denis was perfect in the short and merely doubled a jump in the long and a second double toe. By no way does it count the same as falling several times.

Patrick isn't responsible for his scores but he shouldn't be defending them either, especially making comments like this. The worst thing is clearly he doesn't have folks around him telling him the truth.

Eventually this gravy train has to end. It will probably end at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Depends on what you mean by high PCS, but he won the NHK LP with two falls.
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf

He won by TES, although he did fall twice. But he wasn't awarded high PCs for this performance (79).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    The worst thing is clearly he doesn't have folks around him telling him the truth.
    You know, and this is why I feel a bit sorry for Chan. He's being fooled into thinking he doesn't need to change anything because he's going to be rewarded anyway. Instead of this being a wake-up call, like it had the opportunity to be, pushing him into sittng down and re-evaluating things like, getting a real coach, reviewing his programs, etc. Instead they're rewarding his erros, so why should he change them?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    You know, and this is why I feel a bit sorry for Chan. He's being fooled into thinking he doesn't need to change anything because he's going to be rewarded anyway. Instead of this being a wake-up call, like it had the opportunity to be, pushing him into sittng down and re-evaluating things like, getting a real coach, reviewing his programs, etc. Instead they're rewarding his erros, so why should he change them?
    It would be karma if it all comes back to bite him in the behind at the Olympics. A 4th or 5th place finish would be true justice.

Chan seems like a reasonably intelligent young man. You can't blame him for the scoring, but it's galling that he seems to believe it too. A proper response to a disastrous program like that is, "I'm disappointed I didn't do as well as I wanted to and while I am happy with the result, I will be going home to work even harder for next time". Not making comments about his competitors. ANY athlete who critiques their competitors performance, ESPECIALLY if they've won over them, is beyond classless. You just don't do that. I understand that if you lose to what you feel is a less deserving performance it's easy to critique in the heat of the moment, but if you're the one who came out on top...keep your mouth shut. It's not your place to say who did better.

Custom Title
    Patrick needed to watch Yuna Kim tonight to see how a real champion wins.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Patrick needed to watch Yuna Kim tonight to see how a real champion wins.
    Chan will never have the respect level, greatness, or memorability that Yu Na has. Years from now the name Yu Na will be associated with legend and one of the all time best, and Chan will be met with eye rolls and thank goodness he is retired.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by daphna View Post
    what I hope Chan is saving for the olympics is a fall on every element and a last place finish. damn it, i just can't stand him!
    Be careful what you wish, especially the ill wishes to others. It might come back and bite yourself. Last time Takahashi fan wished Chan go to Morozov. A few weeks later, Chan didn't go. Takahashi's gone to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Chan seems like a reasonably intelligent young man. You can't blame him for the scoring, but it's galling that he seems to believe it too. A proper response to a disastrous program like that is, "I'm disappointed I didn't do as well as I wanted to and while I am happy with the result, I will be going home to work even harder for next time". Not making comments about his competitors. ANY athlete who critiques their competitors performance, ESPECIALLY if they've won over them, is beyond classless. You just don't do that. I understand that if you lose to what you feel is a less deserving performance it's easy to critique in the heat of the moment, but if you're the one who came out on top...keep your mouth shut. It's not your place to say who did better.
    He shouldn't mention his competitors at all.. he doesn't seem to realize it is wrong.. like the time he did too many jumps or something like that (can't remember exactly what) and said "I pulled a Nobunari" and laughed. I thought that was kind of inappropriate.. and his criticism of Johnny Weir for putting the flowers on his head at the Vancouver Olympics. And btw, I don't hate Chan AT ALL, I actually quite enjoy him sometimes, but those particular things he said were inappropriate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Patrick's comments here are worse...
    http://metronews.ca/sports/597990/pa...f-his-critics/
    Mixed from me: Its true as Chan said that it's tough to train and to go out there on the ice, and he works hard. And it's easy for fans and journalists to sit behind a computer and critique. Also, Chan doesn't have anything to do with how the judges score him and he shouldn't be blamed for that. OTOH, Chan hasn't seemed to be able to learn how to handle the over-scoring in a way that would allow fans to be more understanding toward him. Posters here have offered better ways for Chan to respond to the media. Maybe Chan could also benefit by advice from Meryl and Charlie.

At one point, early in his career, Chan seemed to be a little too full himself in believing all the over-hype. I think it is a measure of his youth. He was so young when he hit the senior scene, so his maturity level as a person has had to grow at the same time he was being forced to deal with a lot of high-profile stuff that teenagers would find difficult to navigate. The fawning and over-protective fan worship has not helped either. Hopefully, Patrick will gain perspective, get PR help, and learn how to better use his charm instead of annoyance and defensiveness.

I think Chan's comments about his competitors were very defensive, and in the case of Denis, completely inaccurate as Denis' couple of mistakes of doubling out a couple of planned triples were not as serious as 3 of the 4 errors Chan made. Chan crashed on both 3-axels. Not completing even one 3-axel should be a huge penalty, and it is for most skaters. Chan's comments make it seem like he feels falling (at least for him) is really no big deal. Chan should apologize to Denis. But I'm sure the comments don't bother Denis or other skaters who probably feel sympathy for Patrick getting it on all sides from rival fans on fan boards, OTT judging, and the media. It should be the judges being grilled, not Patrick.

ETA:
    I have to laugh at Patrick saying that he would love to explain why he deserves all the points he gets! What skater is going to think that they don't deserve all their points when points aren't easy to come by and mean so much? In Patrick's case, he tends to hugely get more than his fare share of points when he skates well and even when he doesn't. He shouldn't be made to feel that his SS completely make up for his errors. Not true!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast