2013 Worlds - Free Dance | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Free Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh I knew you would come through Mao! Thank you for doing this, competition after competition after competition, from the heart.

:bow:

KKonas

Medalist
Just got thru reading icenetwork's best/worst list of 2013 Worlds. Davis/White's 2nd world title and new world record score was ranked only
5th in highlights, behind Chan's SP, Ten's 2 programs, Kim, Yu na FS, and China's Li FS. Really? Then the the writers complained that it was too bad that the score wasn't closer between them and V/M. Icenetwork is part of the problem why US ice dancing is often the forgotten discipline. They rate it so low.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's why it's a laugh when people suggest that USFSA would bother itself to politick for any of their ice dancers. They could care less about any of them, and it has pretty much always been that way.

Here's all IN had to say:

.5. Meryl Davis and Charlie White: The U.S. ice dancers regained their spot on top of the world podium, capping an undefeated season in the process. The score for their Giselle short dance (77.12) set a world record. Making the victory even sweeter was that they beat their Canadian rivals, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, in their hometown.

They also set a World record for total score (since the CD was dropped), with a score of:
http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/phsdto.htm

Their free dance was within less than 0.5 points of the World Record score they posted at 4CC's this year
http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/phsdfd.htm

You'd think that would rate better than fifth place in USFSA list of thrils at the World C hampionships.

You'd also think they wouldn't be wishing that V&M placed closer to D&W:

Lowlights
3. Virtue and Moir's short dance: Virtually everyone in the building wanted to see this team do well, and for ice dancing overall, it is best when both Davis and White and Virtue and Moir push each other with strong skates. But in the short dance, she botched a twizzle that proved to be costly. It would have been much more fun to see a good fight in the free dance.

They also missed the fact that Scott has a minor slip in their midline not touching step sequence, which further added to D&W's lead; the blame should not fall entirely on Tessa.

Last edited:

uncchristine99

Rinkside
Congrats D/W--it was a great pair of performances, particularly the SD. They've hardly missed a beat all season--it's just amazing how they continue to push the envelope with their skills and between themselves. And I thought it was really cool that the Canadian audience was so supportive of them.

I'm not a fan of V/M's Carmen and I seem to like it less and less each time I see it. But for some reason, it really worked for me this time. Maybe at the beginning of the season, they were trying to go too hard and it just looked awkward. Others in this thread have said this Carmen performance felt "safe" and "boring" but I actually really enjoyed it particularly because it was scaled back. It was sensuous and quietly suggestive without the random and overt spazzing of previous outings.

Much has been said about the home crowd advantage/disadvantage but on the ice, I thought V/M did their job. No doubt, the program held them back. I think they just have to pick better music and simplify the story they're trying to tell--they were pretty much cannibalized by their own high concept with both dances this year. Others have said they won't or shouldn't return to the lovey-dovey stuff they do so well but you know... that's the stuff that wins for them and really sets them apart from D/W. This year, they mis-stepped with both programs because they tried to beat D/W at their own game with aggressive lifts and tricks. They should stick to their own gameplan, which is decimate the field with the cleanest, smoothest dance steps. You can push the musical and choreographic envelope when you retire and join SOI. Ha!

Sochi is going to be so exciting. There's definitely a feeling of "oh, V/M have been there so let D/W win this time" but everyone's coming to win. It's going to be a great fight! Can't wait to see the program debuts in the fall!

KKonas

Medalist
I get so tired of hearing how V/M always skate "the cleanest, smoothest dance steps and can decimate everyone else." Please note that NO ONE got Level 4 on either of the step sequences in the FS in London. And D/W performed every single movement or step in unison especially in their SD, besting the venerable V/M, who are deemed so perfect in everything they do. Not only do D/W have the best and most difficult spins in the world, they also have the best and fastest twizzles in the world. They are on the same level technically as V/M and better in some areas, so either team can win in Sochi.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought it was odd, and wasn't sure it was his until the replay

I wonder why he felt the necessity? Maybe to get Tessa to completely relax & perhaps giggle?

I'm interested what others thought.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I get so tired of hearing how V/M always skate "the cleanest, smoothest dance steps and can decimate everyone else." Please note that NO ONE got Level 4 on either of the step sequences in the FS in London. And D/W performed every single movement or step in unison especially in their SD, besting the venerable V/M, who are deemed so perfect in everything they do. Not only do D/W have the best and most difficult spins in the world, they also have the best and fastest twizzles in the world. They are on the same level technically as V/M and better in some areas, so either team can win in Sochi.

Oh I totally agree with this. They made a quantum leap this year in at least three areas I think:
1. Matching lines/unison
2. Connection (scoff all you want but the improvement here is exponential)
3. Controlling their power

I was not a huge fan of the Notre Dame program as a program (shoot me now but I actually think their tango was a better program with much more interesting choreography), but they skated it beautifully. Compare it to Phantom and you can see the difference, and I think the difference is not only in their much improved connection, but that they are learning that not everything has to be skated balls-to-the-wall. Sometimes a little less is a whole lot more.

And like you I cannot wait to see the programs for next year.

uncchristine99

Rinkside
D/W are my bias so I'm not disagreeing and I'm not trying to hold up any other team as "venerable." D/W have made big big strides in all the things WeakAnkles mentioned. 3 years after Vancouver, I think they are easily the more the mature and sophisticated team and they've continued to progress each year. Momentum-wise, they just seem to be unstoppable. In the same 3 years, V/M have had more of a flat-line effect but they're not out of contention by any means.

To me, it's a clear division of strong points--V/M with steps, D/W with spins, twizzles and lifts. D/W have worked really hard to close the gap on step sequences and I think they have. But as you say, no one got a level 4 on steps in the free dance--guess it was a tough day in the tech spec chair so the margin from the SD pretty much held. It got a little bigger but pretty much held.

Two level 4 steps would have added 3.0 to the base TES, which is a little less than what V/M were trailing by after the SD. That's what I mean by saying V/M should focus on their strong suit--the step sequences because the base+GOE from just this element can keep them close to D/W, who decimate in their own fashion on spins, twizzles and lifts. Personally, I always want D/W to win so my comments here are just dissecting where I think the Canadians opened the door this year. I hope we get to see the best of both teams next year because that's how it should be--no injuries, no mistakes--just a clean competition with all the best at their best. And D/W running away with gold.

KKonas

Medalist
I also posted this in another section re World Championships Conclusions)

Worlds Ice Dancing Event From Sonia Bianchetti Garbato (Excerpt)
The most exciting and stimulating event was, once again, ice dancing
Meryl Davis and Charlie White (USA) won the gold medal. The silver medal went to Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir (CAN) and the bronze medal to Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitri Soloviev (RUS).
Davis/White’s performance to “Notre Dame de Paris” was breathtaking. Their program is highlighted by intricate footwork and difficult lifts, but what is fantastic and unique is the way they skate, their unison, their passion. They talk with their bodies and they transmit a deep artistic emotion. Just fabulous. Thanks, Meryl and Charlie! You gave me a moment of intense joy and emotion that is so rare in skating nowadays.
Virtue/Moir were also incredible. They performed a passionate, sensuous and captivating program with some innovative lifts. Their skating is superb and their interpretation of a modern Carmen reached the heart of the public, which expressed their appreciation with great enthusiasm and a standing ovation.
Dancing to “Man With A Harmonica” and “Tosca”, Bobrova/Soloviev, the European champions, were ranked fourth in the free dance, but overall held on to third place to take their first world medal.
Anna Cappellini and Luca La Notte (ITA) placed 3rd in the free dance but placed 4th overall by a 1.09-point difference. Anna and Luca really interpreted Carmen and Don José with passion and emotion.
(Note balance of article at World Figure Skating http://fskating.com/2013/03/a-wonderful-world-championships.html
Hope this link works.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
So, I seemed to have missed 'the roar' although people seem to be talking about it a lot - so when did he do this?

Right at the beginning, in this video it is just after 1.35:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r25OI887-LA

@dorispulaski I agree, I was puzzled at first however that is a good point, maybe it was just to calm Tessa. Or maybe it was just simply to entertain the audience and add more to the performance of it all by adding more character? It definitely made an interesting addition, that's for sure!

@bramweld Haha yes it was him, I was confused at first too!

emma

Record Breaker
Seriously, it was him and not the music? If Doris is puzzled by it - as in feeling it was strange, then I really hesistate to say anything as she is so informed about all things dance....but, i thought it was kind of neat/different (although really, was it really him- i would swear it was the music and he was just imitating it!).

By the way, thanks for the video -the quality is great - makes me want to go back and watch higher quality versions of parts of events...maybe all feel a lot better about worlds if I do so!

OH...and since I haven't said it - heartfelt congrats to all of the dancers - but especially those who battled injury and still skated well, and especially the medalists. Woot Woot to Davis and White - on what i think is a new record. And way to bring the FD after what I imagine was disappointing SD V/M!!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Scott's roar might have been on the tape, but if so, it was a new addition since 4CC's, and I hadn't heard anyone report it from a practice.