2013 Worlds - Free Dance | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Free Dance

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yay yay yay for Marile. The wanted this so badly. and so well deserved. no way was Meryl going to let that twizzle get away from her!
So happy that at least one event was judged fairly (the podium at least).

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Congrats to Meryl and Charlie for two excellent programs! :love:

Congrats also to the proud silver and gold medallists. :thumbsup:

Tessa and Scott, hopefully this result fires you up to become the 'hunter' again going into the Olys. While I really appreciated your artistic exploration, maybe next year's programs should focus more on the competitive aspect. But above all, please stay healthy!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The two stand out performances for me were Chock/Bates and Tobias/Stagniunas. Both of them really skated 'out of the box' way above what you'd expect from them. Really beautiful routines.

I also enjoyed Zhiganshina/Gazsi but I can't help to think that it was a bit more of a show program than a competitive one. Good for them though to finally make the top 10 and they were definitely the most entertaining.

Unfortunately I missed THE SLAP. I was so looking forward to seeing it again and the Spanish, whose short I loved. I'm hoping someone will post the whole first group on youtube. Yeah the Germans could never get away with that program in an Olympic year, but I love them for doing it. Absolutely hilarious and memorable.

Art&Sport

Medalist
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...vis-charlie-white-usa-best-shot-gold/1985667/

I have never heard about Meryl's dyslexia/depth perception before this article and am surprised it's not brought up more. Normally the press likes to latch onto any sob story...

Never heard this before either. So I learned two new things about Meryl -- one of her grandmothers has roots in London, Ontario and Meryl suffers from dsylexia/ limited depth perception. Wow, I respect the fact that she initially preferred to keep it quiet so that she could be judged only on what she could do on the ice, and not re the fact she has overcome handicaps. Wow, Meryl and Charlie are wonderful role models, and a good example of how skating together for so many years enhances and benefits a partnership.

There are of course many skaters who have overcome physical problems: Scott Hamilton (a growth deficiency as a child); Kristi Yamaguchi (a clubfoot); Elaine Zayak (part of one foot cut in half in a lawn mower accident). As a result, Elaine had unavoidable problems with balance in performing figures. For all three, they got into skating because of their handicaps. I'm sure there are many more examples.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Congrats to Meryl and Charlie for two excellent programs! :love:

Congrats also to the proud silver and gold medallists. :thumbsup:

Tessa and Scott, hopefully this result fires you up to become the 'hunter' again going into the Olys. While I really appreciated your artistic exploration, maybe next year's programs should focus more on the competitive aspect. But above all, please stay healthy!

Oh I would bet money that next year Voir does a very very safe ooey gooey romantic long program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They don't have skating skills yet. They needed to skate faster and bigger. I&K's PCS higher because of that. Also they need more dance holds, transitions. But this is next level.

Skating skills is not the problem. In fact, they have excellent skating skills -- they are know to have the quietest blades and good control of them -- that's why they're great Twizzlers, because they do not put too little or too much weight on the blade, which is ideal when you trying to do those.

But I think people don't realize (it wasn't obvious to me either) that Maia clearly went through a growth spurt. If you look at them from the 2010-2011 season, Maia is under Alex's head: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ontinents_Maia_SHIBUTANI_Alex_SHIBUTANI_P.jpg

If you look at them now, Maia is now half-way up to Alex's head: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...hapohaZYZCRrcfdUEf2kY15JR52Aj2acqOj42o73PHBwn (Hate to point out this photo as it's when Alex was going through his leg issue at COR, but you can see that the height difference is a lot smaller).

So think about it---your sister is several inches taller, likely gain some weight (not a ton as she's still quite skinny) and you have a back injury. Alex made an effort to bulk up to deal with this, but I think it sort of backfired on them because he ended up losing a lot of the speed he used to have. So I think a lot of the problems we're seeing is as a result of this.

I think they made some great strides toward the end of the season and they did look stronger. I'm hoping :crossed fingers: that they're both done growing and they can be more comfortable in (namely, Maia's) new body.

Haven't seen any of the programs, will do so later and comment on them.

I think the Shibs should do something either really strange and abstract (think Philip Glass opera like Einstein on the Beach) or a comedy number that would let them show that bubbliness on the ice. Hmm, I'll have to ask my Broadway-obsessed friend if he can think of any non-romantic male/female song and dance numbers. He's encyclopediac that way.

The good news about the Shibs though is that they really do seem to be getting back on form. I wonder if HIS injuries were more serious than they let on and if HER growth spurt threw them much more off than we'd assume.

I agree. Everyone one knows I love this team, so I'm hoping their struggles are behind them. And as I noted before, I agree the injuries + the growth spurt really wreck havoc on their training.

But that's why I like them -- they don't make excuses, they just keep at it.

I do think they could make a killing doing something fun + abstract. Actually their 2009 FD was sort of like that----sort of dreamy magical....

Also if you remember they had a relatively terrible season in 2010, placing 4th in Jr. Worlds after winning silver the year before and barely getting OTP in the JGPF. Back then it was ALEX who went through a growth spurt. I think some of you may remember that everyone was worried that their height different would be TOO GREAT.....I guess that won't be a problem now, but it's still a big adjustment to make.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oh I would bet money that next year Voir does a very very safe ooey gooey romantic long program.

Well, they basically have been told to. My bet is we're gonna see Swan Lake. Ballet, Tchaikovsky, Russian Olympics, Jennifer Swann..... the whole nine yards.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I really hope they'll leave Morozov and find a coach who gives them some REAL choreography and finds some good programs that can show their good qualities...
Couldn't agree more, but Nikita seems to be a terribly nervous skater. How will they improve if he can't get it together between the ears? He tends to mess up programs terribly when the stakes are high. Worlds 2011 in Russia, wobbly on almost everything, Worlds 2012 botched lift almost dropped Lena, World 2013 twizzles SD and rotational lift FD...what's up?

I don't know if a coaching change will be enough..

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm.....

"Veronique" from On the 20th Century is a dazzling number, but more of a solo for her.
I think they'd nail a Dirty Rotten Scoundrels trio. Or Ragtime

On the Twentieth Century is one of my all-time favorite musicals. I applaud your great taste. And Veronique might actually work Or something from A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine--the famous feet number in particular.

Hmm, Ragtime. I didn't see the original production but I did see the revival, which was quite good. Which number do you think would work?

I'm still pushing for W/P to do Tarzan. There actually is a musical version of it (I saw it. Not a great show but the production design was amazing--they do the shipwreck as a projection on the back wall of the stage with the actors "walking" along the beach --which is the wall of the theater--from ropes tied to their waists. It was absolutely astonishing to see. Almost as astonishing as the thought of Mr P in a loin cloth ;)).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think the Shibs should do something either really strange and abstract (think Philip Glass opera like Einstein on the Beach) or a comedy number that would let them show that bubbliness on the ice. Hmm, I'll have to ask my Broadway-obsessed friend if he can think of any non-romantic male/female song and dance numbers. He's encyclopediac that way.

The good news about the Shibs though is that they really do seem to be getting back on form. I wonder if HIS injuries were more serious than they let on and if HER growth spurt threw them much more off than we'd assume.

well they went from her being a tiny doll he could pick up and throw around to a mature woman close to his height. Not surprising that he struggled.
ITA that they need a new challenging direction for their programs, Gheishawas obviously a "safe" choice, as its slow, beautiful music that shows off their edges and elegance and they have skated to this music before. They have done broadway style before, and it suits their style, bubbly, fast and ballroom-classic-elegance. There are so many non-romantic routines they could do, think Gene Kelly and Judy Garland's "Be a Clown" or "good morning" from singing in the rain.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
well they went from her being a tiny doll he could pick up and throw around to a mature woman close to his height. Not surprising that he struggled.
ITA that they need a new challenging direction for their programs, Gheishawas obviously a "safe" choice, as its slow, beautiful music that shows off their edges and elegance and they have skated to this music before. They have done broadway style before, and it suits their style, bubbly, fast and ballroom-classic-elegance. There are so many non-romantic routines they could do, think Gene Kelly and Judy Garland's "Be a Clown" or "good morning" from singing in the rain.

I think they will actually do quite well with the quickstep as it's very classy ballroom and plays to their blade-to-ice strengths. I hope they will not try to do anything abstract here because quite frankly they need a pretty straight forward SD where their strengths can shine.

As for the FD, I think they need to do something more interesting and abstract--they're good kids--I think they will try to figure it out.

ETA: I think it probably would have made more sense if they stuck to Mary Poppins for the SD and actually did the incantations music for the FD. Of course, the music is problematic because of it's legendary status, but I think choreography wise would have made a lot more sense.

I/K actually got four 0s for a combination spin they fell out of... Only one judge gave them a -2.

I don't understand how they could have got a Lv4 for the first lift, given they seemed to finish it early and didn't hold the last position at all. GOE is high for that element as well.

Probably. :/

roots

Rinkside
Fault me for being bias, but not a fan of Davis and White, never was. She is fake and always seems to be over-actig. I don't buy it. And Charlie huffing and puffing at the end, like he just completed something that had never been done. Please the moment had passed, actually there was no moment. Call it sour grapes, they do nothing for me. Bland program like they always put out. I seriously thought Meryl was wearing a wig for the short dance to go with the program, but now I see it's her real hair. Girl do something about it! Tessa is gorgeous, simply stunning and their program was captivating from beginning to end. The mistake in the short dance did them in. On to Sochi!!

ks777

Record Breaker
Skating skills is not the problem. In fact, they have excellent skating skills -- they are know to have the quietest blades and good control of them -- that's why they're great Twizzlers, because they do not put too little or too much weight on the blade, which is ideal when you trying to do those.

But I think people don't realize (it wasn't obvious to me either) that Maia clearly went through a growth spurt. If you look at them from the 2010-2011 season, Maia is under Alex's head: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ontinents_Maia_SHIBUTANI_Alex_SHIBUTANI_P.jpg

If you look at them now, Maia is now half-way up to Alex's head: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...hapohaZYZCRrcfdUEf2kY15JR52Aj2acqOj42o73PHBwn (Hate to point out this photo as it's when Alex was going through his leg issue at COR, but you can see that the height difference is a lot smaller).

So think about it---your sister is several inches taller, likely gain some weight (not a ton as she's still quite skinny) and you have a back injury. Alex made an effort to bulk up to deal with this, but I think it sort of backfired on them because he ended up losing a lot of the speed he used to have. So I think a lot of the problems we're seeing is as a result of this.

I think they made some great strides toward the end of the season and they did look stronger. I'm hoping :crossed fingers: that they're both done growing and they can be more comfortable in (namely, Maia's) new body.

Haven't seen any of the programs, will do so later and comment on them.

I agree. Everyone one knows I love this team, so I'm hoping their struggles are behind them. And as I noted before, I agree the injuries + the growth spurt really wreck havoc on their training.

But that's why I like them -- they don't make excuses, they just keep at it.

I do think they could make a killing doing something fun + abstract. Actually their 2009 FD was sort of like that----sort of dreamy magical....

Also if you remember they had a relatively terrible season in 2010, placing 4th in Jr. Worlds after winning silver the year before and barely getting OTP in the JGPF. Back then it was ALEX who went through a growth spurt. I think some of you may remember that everyone was worried that their height different would be TOO GREAT.....I guess that won't be a problem now, but it's still a big adjustment to make.

Thank you, I totally agree. I know their skating skills were good by watching their skating! I didn't know what it is that's lacking because they were so smooth and precise. Even Tracey Wilson said they have the quietest blades. I thought maybe they lack in sexual chemistry. I was thinking they should maybe skate to Forbidden love next year?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
On the Twentieth Century is one of my all-time favorite musicals. I applaud your great taste. And Veronique might actually work Or something from A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine--the famous feet number in particular.

Hmm, Ragtime. I didn't see the original production but I did see the revival, which was quite good. Which number do you think would work?

Okay, so you don't like V/M's Carmen but know "A Day in Hollywood/A Night in Ukraine." I'm feeling very conflicted right now :D

No idea about Ragtime, truthfully. Depends on how they could make a medley, but starting with the opening piano from "Prologue." Very simple, Joplin-esque stuff. Segue into "A Shtetl Iz Amereke" or "Success" (the latter makes more sense, but I think the character work required for the former would be interesting). The last minute would be "Wheels of a Dream" with it's soaring crescendo.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Fault me for being bias, but not a fan of Davis and White, never was. She is fake and always seems to be over-actig. I don't buy it. And Charlie huffing and puffing at the end, like he just completed something that had never been done. Please the moment had passed, actually there was no moment. Call it sour grapes, they do nothing for me. Bland program like they always put out. I seriously thought Meryl was wearing a wig for the short dance to go with the program, but now I see it's her real hair. Girl do something about it! Tessa is gorgeous, simply stunning and their program was captivating from beginning to end. The mistake in the short dance did them in. On to Sochi!!

stay pressed, canada.

(i like them both.)

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
And Charlie huffing and puffing at the end, like he just completed something that had never been done.

Charlie has asthma which is why it takes him a minute to get up after they perform. And what is wrong with Meryl's hair?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you, I totally agree. I know their skating skills were good by watching their skating! I didn't know what it is that's lacking because they were so smooth and precise. Even Tracey Wilson said they have the quietest blades. I thought maybe they lack in sexual chemistry. I was thinking they should maybe skate to Forbidden love next year?

I think they need to do something where they can just let go and be crazy. I agree with Ziggy to an extent that their attempt to be subtle is strange considering IRL they are super happy, fun and humorous people.

It's almost like they are being told they need to be a certain way instead of going with their personal instinct. For example, until the SD the other day, I was absolutely clueless why Maia's costumes were so terrible. When she is off the ice, she is a very stylish girl and knows how to dress but somehow that ability goes out of the window when it comes to her costumes, mainly the SD costumes. (I love their FD costume.)