Canada the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines | Golden Skate

Canada the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With Patrick Chan's Sochi Olympic Gold is Canada now the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines. Looking back over history it looks like we are. Russia has a chance to join Canada if they can win the 2014 ladies gold in a couple years time.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
2013 World Championships you mean, Canada has been successful with Gold lock for Chan and bronze locks for D/R and Osmond, maybe Gold also for V/M
but do you mean Gold in all for disciplines in 2014 ???

Didn't we already have this thread after worlds last year? ;)

Sky Fly, pangtongfan means that Chan is guaranteed to win in Sochi no matter what, and then Canada will have won an Olympic gold medal in each discipline over the course of history. (Barbara Ann Scott in 1948, etc.)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes it was my thread from 2 years ago but when I tried to bump it I couldnt as it was archived. Chan won the 2014 Olympic gold sometime from June 2010-August 2010 though, so Canada has been the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines for a good almost 3 years now. It will be interesting if Russia can join us and become the 2nd in February 2014, but it is looking increasingly doubtful they will win the ladies in Sochi. The U.S would have to win a pairs gold for that to happen for them, even if Davis & White win gold, and that isnt happening. What other countries are close, anyone know.

England has ladies' (Madge Syers, 1908), men's (John Curry and Robin Cousins), and dance (Torvill and Dean). They have two bronzes in pairs, 1908 and 1920.

Austria and Germany both have men's. women's and pairs.

Dance is the killer, since Russia, USSR, etc., have won it all but two times.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
England has ladies' (Madge Syers, 1908), men's (John Curry and Robin Cousins), and dance (Torvill and Dean). They have two bronzes in pairs, 1908 and 1920.

Well it is as though people have a hate on for Chan. Carolina Kostner is more of a sure thing of oly gold than Chan. And we might as well just say Wagner and Yuna are sure things for gold. Let's jinx everyone. Max Aaron destined for podium. Davis and White are clearly the faves; doesn't matter they do the same stuff yehar in and year out it is deemed as artistic and fabulous and they clearly have the judges favour. No matter what V and M do it won't be enough. Maybe there is some sympathy too? Who knows its like let both teams have one oly gold.

I didn't know Canada never won a men's gold; i thought Donald Jackson did but what do I know.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did I miss something. My watch says March 16, 2013? Did I fall asleep?! NOOOOOOOOOOO. Please don't age me!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, make it five disciplines then, with the team event.

Honestly, though, I think Chan just lost Olympic gold with his third world title.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes it was my thread from 2 years ago but when I tried to bump it I couldnt as it was archived. Chan won the 2014 Olympic gold sometime from June 2010-August 2010 though, so Canada has been the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines for a good almost 3 years now. It will be interesting if Russia can join us and become the 2nd in February 2014, but it is looking increasingly doubtful they will win the ladies in Sochi. The U.S would have to win a pairs gold for that to happen for them, even if Davis & White win gold, and that isnt happening. What other countries are close, anyone know.

with 2 spots for Ladies and the veterans doing well not likely maybe 2018, Chan is the only sure thing for gold lock in 2014 since sunrise

Colanboy

Rinkside

Honestly, though, I think Chan just lost Olympic gold with his third world title.
This. I'm worried Chan will grow complacent over the next year, when he should really be focusing on developing a third quad and getting a real coach.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Who else is going to win it. The only other one I think has a prayer is Fernandez, and that requires Chan to fall 8 times and Fernandez to skate perfectly clean with a quad-triple in the short and 3 in the long, and to further improve his GOE and PCS a great deal (where he was even getting crushed by Hanyu this year but atleast improved that by Worlds, hence why he medaled even with mistakes in both programs).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Thanks for that. So if Britian can win the pairs gold in Sochi they can be the second (or first depending if you consider Chans Oly Gold which was certain from June 2010 onwards to have been won in June 2010 or on the official medal ceremony day of February 2014). Kemp & King just have to pass the qualifying event for the Games, since they didnt qualify directly here and add another 100 points to their combined SP-LP PB scores and they are all set to do it!

So Austra and Germany only need dance gold. Germany will have a dance team at the Games atleast.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Who else is going to win it. The only other one I think has a prayer is Fernandez, and that requires Chan to fall 8 times and Fernandez to skate perfectly clean with a quad-triple in the short and 3 in the long, and to further improve his GOE and PCS a great deal (where he was even getting crushed by Hanyu this year but atleast improved that by Worlds, hence why he medaled even with mistakes in both programs).

Hanyu is the dark horse, though it will take a meltdown for Chan not win Gold in Sochi
but 3 falls by Chan his PCS cushion I think will be enough to win Sochi Gold

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hanyu is the dark horse, though it will take a meltdown for Chan not win Gold in Sochi
but 3 falls by Chan his PCS cushion I think will be enough to win Sochi Gold

Who do you think has a better shot between Hanyu and Fernandez. I think those are the main two challengers. Ten, Takahashi, and Reynolds are longer shots to challenge for the podium.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Orser said that Fernandez is going to go for a two quad short, fwiw. Hanyu could also prove stronger than we've witnessed. Won't be Takahashi, obviously.

I don't know who's going to win it, though. But I see the other men seeing what happened here and upping their game. I see Chan growing complacent.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Do you really think that V/M will win in Sochi? For me, it's 70% D/W and 30% V/M, at the moment (then, it will depend on the programs they choose): Meryl and Davis will win tonight, and I think that, if V/M can't win with the home crowd advantage (and a mistake in the SD, yes), they won't be able to win in Sochi...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Who do you think has a better shot between Hanyu and Fernandez. I think those are the main two challengers. Ten, Takahashi, and Reynolds are longer shots to challenge for the podium.

Hanyu has always done well in Russian soil, seems like a lucky charm for him, hope this will help him
though unlikely if Chan has less falls won't be enough for Yuzuru to win OGM

Reynolds was overscored at Worlds he won't get that same again maybe after 2014
Ten needs to prove that wasn't a fluke

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Do you really think that V/M will win in Sochi? For me, it's 70% D/W and 30% V/M, at the moment (then, it will depend on the programs they choose): Meryl and Davis will win tonight, and I think that, if V/M can't win with the home crowd advantage (and a mistake in the SD, yes), they won't be able to win in Sochi...

No I dont. I fully expect D&W to win this years Worlds and next years Olympics. I give V&M about 5% chance at this years Worlds given the SD results, and about 20-25% of beating D&W for next years Olympic Gold. However that doesnt matter to the topic heading as Canada and V&M already have a well deserved Olympic Gold to go towards their completed set.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm a fan of both top dance teams, but I have to say that V/M didn't win the SP reasons unrelated to the twizzle sequence.

I thought they were tentative, perhaps a little spooked by the monster score earned by D/W. It could also have been the pressure of skating with home-town expectations and the chorus of negativity and questions that followed "the break" in the 4CC free program.

By the time it was over, I was really surprised that the gap wasn't larger than 3 points or so.

That was V/M's worst SD this season by a mile, and I thought they were marked generously in comparison to D/W.