Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canada the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Who else is going to win it. The only other one I think has a prayer is Fernandez, and that requires Chan to fall 8 times and Fernandez to skate perfectly clean with a quad-triple in the short and 3 in the long, and to further improve his GOE and PCS a great deal (where he was even getting crushed by Hanyu this year but atleast improved that by Worlds, hence why he medaled even with mistakes in both programs).
    Orser said that Fernandez is going to go for a two quad short, fwiw. Hanyu could also prove stronger than we've witnessed. Won't be Takahashi, obviously.

I don't know who's going to win it, though. But I see the other men seeing what happened here and upping their game. I see Chan growing complacent.

Do you really think that V/M will win in Sochi? For me, it's 70% D/W and 30% V/M, at the moment (then, it will depend on the programs they choose): Meryl and Davis will win tonight, and I think that, if V/M can't win with the home crowd advantage (and a mistake in the SD, yes), they won't be able to win in Sochi...

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Who do you think has a better shot between Hanyu and Fernandez. I think those are the main two challengers. Ten, Takahashi, and Reynolds are longer shots to challenge for the podium.
    Hanyu has always done well in Russian soil, seems like a lucky charm for him, hope this will help him
    though unlikely if Chan has less falls won't be enough for Yuzuru to win OGM

Reynolds was overscored at Worlds he won't get that same again maybe after 2014
    Ten needs to prove that wasn't a fluke

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Do you really think that V/M will win in Sochi? For me, it's 70% D/W and 30% V/M, at the moment (then, it will depend on the programs they choose): Meryl and Davis will win tonight, and I think that, if V/M can't win with the home crowd advantage (and a mistake in the SD, yes), they won't be able to win in Sochi...
    No I dont. I fully expect D&W to win this years Worlds and next years Olympics. I give V&M about 5% chance at this years Worlds given the SD results, and about 20-25% of beating D&W for next years Olympic Gold. However that doesnt matter to the topic heading as Canada and V&M already have a well deserved Olympic Gold to go towards their completed set.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I'm a fan of both top dance teams, but I have to say that V/M didn't win the SP reasons unrelated to the twizzle sequence.

I thought they were tentative, perhaps a little spooked by the monster score earned by D/W. It could also have been the pressure of skating with home-town expectations and the chorus of negativity and questions that followed "the break" in the 4CC free program.

By the time it was over, I was really surprised that the gap wasn't larger than 3 points or so.

That was V/M's worst SD this season by a mile, and I thought they were marked generously in comparison to D/W.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Well, make it five disciplines then, with the team event.
    Now, that's the event that is truly a lock for Canada. With Duhamel and Radford and Katlyn Osmond coming on like gangbusters, Canada will be a juggernaut.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Now, that's the event that is truly a lock for Canada. With Duhamel and Radford and Katlyn Osmond coming on like gangbusters, Canada will be a juggernaut.
    Chan is a 105% lock, and was in fact already awarded the 2014 Olympic Gold in the summer of 2010, and the Team Gold for Canada is more like an 85% likelihood.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well it is as though people have a hate on for Chan. Carolina Kostner is more of a sure thing of oly gold than Chan. And we might as well just say Wagner and Yuna are sure things for gold. Let's jinx everyone. Max Aaron destined for podium. Davis and White are clearly the faves; doesn't matter they do the same stuff yehar in and year out it is deemed as artistic and fabulous and they clearly have the judges favour. No matter what V and M do it won't be enough. Maybe there is some sympathy too? Who knows its like let both teams have one oly gold.

Gee, I didn't know Der Fledermaus and Notre Dame de Paris were one and the same.

I didn't know Canada never won a men's gold; i thought Donald Jackson did but what do I know.
    Donald Jackson never won Olympic gold, but did win Worlds in 1962 in Prague.

Custom Title
    While I find this mildly entertaining, I honestly can't help but want to re-evaluate how I spend my time as I've spent so much of today just reading so much hate for what? A homicidal maniac? A child abuser? A racist?
    Nope, a freaking Figure Skater! Really? Do we have to hate on him so much? It's such a strong word and one I'm trying to eliminate from my vocabulary. Dislike the system please, not Patrick. What is he supposed to say? Do? It's really not his fault is it??

Custom Title
    I'm pretty sure that Chan will not be an Olympic champion because he will keep Kathy Johnson next year and he will not have 4F or 4S. Bye, bye, the Olympic gold!

PTF doesn't mean that Canada will win ladies, pairs and dance next year. Just that they will will men's, then they will have a gold medalist in all four disciplines over the whole history of the Olympics. (Barbara Ann Scott, 1948, Sale and Pelletier, 2002. Virtue and Moir, 2010, Patrick Chan, 2014.)

Custom Title
    Oh, pardon me! My bad! I've reread the title. Now I understood.

Custom Title
    I was thinking that Russia had done it already, but of course Oksana Baiul won for Ukraine after the USSR broke up. So, okay, Canada is in the running unless Britain suddenly manages to find a pairs team that's a contender.

I agree. The only reason V/M will win is if they come up with a really good program, and D/W have a zzzzz program.

Anyway, Patrick Chan has not won the OGM in Sochi yet. It's not over until it's over. I think Hanyu has a real chance too. I'm not sure about Fernandez. He's very slow compared to Chan and some of the other top guys. If Daisuke leaves Morozov I think he could get back up to where he was before too.

Custom Title
    And the point of this (repeated) thread is...?

Oh, it's officially the off season now.

Go on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast