Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Zijun Li ready to skate with the big girls?

Is Zijun Li ready to skate with the big girls?

For me, the delight of the 2013 world championships was China's Zijun Li. Here she is:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...av5wQ7dQ6LgPcm

Oh. wait. That's not Zijun Li.

Here is her worlds LP. (Please somebody tell me the aspect ratio is off in this Eurosport video. She's nt that slim, right?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCSsAdtaxQ

What does she need to do to become a factor next year? More speed maybe?

Custom Title
    I still think that the there are at least seven other ladies that have better skills and programs than her, so no.

She is adorabales! LOVE her joy ...it's very obvious she loves being out there.

I agree with comments people made elsewhere that she needs to project herself more -- she's has lovely arms but she should use more of her upper body --- That is a strength of Adelina's.

Probably some more speed would be nice as well.

But she has a great foundation. Good technique, nice big jumps and lovely musicality. The British Eurosport guys were eating her up!

Custom Title
    Yes! I think her programs are beautiful. She's got the technical goods. Totally lowballed in the LP. She had a totally clean, spectacular 7 triple skate with a 3F-3T and 2A-3T, she had good interpretation, but got something like 125? That was laughably low.

Miserere Nobis
    Probably not with the current crop of top ladies (Kim, Kostner, Asada). But after Sochi, I think she could become a huge star alongside Osmond, Gold, and the Russians.

Custom Title
    Here is her worlds LP. (Please somebody tell me the aspect ratio is off in this Eurosport video. She's nt that slim, right?)

What does she need to do to become a factor next year? More speed maybe?[/QUOTE]

Now why did I click on that link- just got 5 cavities just watching her

She is the sweetest thing, but she needs some wings, more power, give her Redbull ASAP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post

What does she need to do to become a factor next year? More speed maybe?
    Now why did I click on that link- just got 5 cavities just watching her

She is the sweetest thing, but she needs some wings, more power, give her Redbull ASAP[/QUOTE]

Lol she's obviously slim, but for a figure skater, I don't think it's verging into danger territory as of now. Some girls are just built that way

I agree, what she needs is more power or else she'll be stuck w/pretty princess programs. Not to say that there's anything inherently wrong w/them, but greater power and projection would allow for not only more variety in programs, but also higher PC's. One thing that has struck me in people's live reports of Carolina and Yu-na is how both skaters have strong on-ice presence that just draws your eye and keeps you captivated, mistakes or not.

Medalist
    Lol she's obviously slim, but for a figure skater, I don't think it's verging into danger territory as of now. Some girls are just built that way

I agree, what she needs is more power or else she'll be stuck w/pretty princess programs. Not to say that there's anything inherently wrong w/them, but greater power and projection would allow for not only more variety in programs, but also higher PC's. One thing that has struck me in people's live reports of Carolina and Yu-na is how both skaters have strong on-ice presence that just draws your eye and keeps you captivated, mistakes or not.
    It's true. The ladies free program was my first time watching Mao, Carolina and Yuna live and Carolina and Yuna just project to the audience and draw you in. I had high hopes for Mao, but she doesn't command your attention in the same way.

Custom Title
    My goodness, this girl is as cute as a button!

Custom Title
    I suspect she will be by the time Sochi arrives. Every skater that age is missing something, but, barring injury or a growth spurt, I think she will get there. She makes it look so effortless. And she has a wonderful coach. She is magical imo. This program and music was age appropriate for her. Unlike some here, I was drawn in. She has the technique
    down pat. Now she can concentrate on other things.

She surely will place in the top 10 at Sochi. But my wish is a top 5 placement for her. To podium will be extremely difficult. Hope she improves on pcs-site during off-season, then she has a real chance.

Here is a cute foto taken last summer with her figureskating idol.

http://d1i45kki000yqu.cloudfront.net...d-li-zijun.jpg

She once said in an interview that she is striving to become a strong skater like Yuna. Both such nice personalities!

Custom Title
    I certainly hope so. She's such a charming girl and the potential is there. She's very strong for someone so slight. She does of course have much room to grow and mature. I look forward to seeing her progress.

Banned
    the next Lu Chen
    a future World Champion

never left my eyes off Zijun since she won JGP Final bronze

Custom Title
    If the technical barrage she displayed at WCs was not a fluke, she's there now.

However, as achingly charming as I found her (both in the competitive programs as well as the gala), my gut reaction was that her PCS qualities, in many dimensions, was still unripe. This goes both for the "technical" aspects of PCS (eg skating skills) as well as the "artistic" aspects. With regard to the latter, the impression she left me with was a bit like what I felt watching a young Haley Joel Osmont or Dakota Fanning: the performance was a tremendous tour de force, but the seeming depth and wisdom of the performance seems to be in miniature, and is necessarily somewhat simulated, that is to say, precocious, and not quite genuine in the adult vein.

I've got a niece like that; she tries her best to wrap me around her finger, and it works unnervingly often even when I know it's coming.

Given all the pitfalls she's going to have to overcome to emerge as an authentic Seniors superstar, I want to be somewhat cautious, but I will admit that I harbor genuine hopes for her.

If you want more Zijun sweetness, be sure to check out her fan thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...38931-Li-Zijun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast