Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Time to finally replace COP/IJS?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    But that isn't how sports works. Sometimes a "mediocre" athlete or team has a great night or a great series and wins when it counts and sometimes a great athlete or team makes mistakes on the biggest stage and loses. Wild card teams have won the World Series (5) and the Super Bowl (6) after all. If skating wants to be taken seriously as a sport, it has to reward what happens at the competition.
    Exactly. Great analogy with the World Series and Super bowl. Plus "Cinderella stories" of underdogs winning make for an exciting competition and better, wider press - which skating desperately needs right now.

Also, since judging tends to reward good skating reputations more than it does a given performance, there's almost no point in having competitions if everyone can guess at the outcome. Medals may as well be awarded simply for average score over a season.

Custom Title
    I love how, every time this topic is brought up (usually thanks to ignorant journalists who are remnants of the 6.0 era and have never embraced IJS), there are basically two responses: (1) We need to get rid of IJS because the PCS mark is too biased, and (2) We should go back to 6.0. And some people even manage to say both things in the same post, which is really ironic, seeing as the more subjective PCS mark is just a thinly disguised version of 6.0.
    And of course it's always Patrick Chan who gets attacked as unfairly benefiting under this judging system. Remember when he was criticized for winning without a quad? So now he's landing gorgeous quads. So he has to be criticized for falling. Like no other skater ever won in spite of falling. If they change the system so that there are greater penalties for falls, then he'll just stop doing the riskier jumps. . . and then, that's right, people will go back to complaining about how he "shouldn't win when he didn't even attempt a quad or a triple axel!"
    I think it's pretty clear that the real problem is not the judging system--which is already being modified every single season--but Patrick Chan. Maybe someone should just bang him really hard on the knee and take him out of competition so that we don't have to deal with one skater ruining the system for all of us by being head and shoulders above the rest in skating skills, transitions, interpretation, choreography and performance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    And of course it's always Patrick Chan who gets attacked as unfairly benefiting under this judging system. Remember when he was criticized for winning without a quad? So now he's landing gorgeous quads. So he has to be criticized for falling. Like no other skater ever won in spite of falling. If they change the system so that there are greater penalties for falls, then he'll just stop doing the riskier jumps. . . and then, that's right, people will go back to complaining about how he "shouldn't win when he didn't even attempt a quad or a triple axel!"
    It's interesting you bring this up. My first reaction is "of course he is benefitting because this was one of the worst WC winning performances ever." However, at every Worlds you have between 3 and 5 serious contenders for gold. This year they were Chan, Dai, and Yuzuru. We all figured the champion would come from that group, and Patrick did actually skate the best of those 3 across both programs. Favorites not only get good PCS but get GOE benefits as well, getting +2 and +3 on jumps with shaky landings. Maybe Dennis did skate better than Chan, but realistically no one had him on their radar and so it takes some time to develop the reputation needed to win the title. Having said that, I do wish Dennis did win because although Chan is better in PCS, Dennis is also very good and IMO was good enough there to overtake Chan with far superior TES.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    ...so that we don't have to deal with one skater ruining the system for all of us by being head and shoulders above the rest in skating skills, transitions, interpretation, choreography and performance.
    But Chan's NOT head and shoulders above the rest in all of those categories, however. E.g. skating skills? Yes. Interpretation? No.

And no amount of 9s the judges throw at him for crap performances like his LP at Worlds will convince me that he is indeed head and shoulders above the rest of the men in every single PCS category.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    But Chan's NOT head and shoulders above the rest in all of those categories, however. E.g. skating skills? Yes. Interpretation? No.

And no amount of 9s the judges throw at him for crap performances like his LP at Worlds will convince me that he is indeed head and shoulders above the rest of the men in every single PCS category.
    I agree! I feel nothing when I watch him skate and this is an spectator sport and I have the right to voice my opinion along with others (many!) that share it.

Custom Title
    So for once on this board, Phil Hersh has given the VIP seat?!

But I have to say that Hersh might have written brilliantly, but he has written irresponsibly. Where is the "home-cooked"? At "Home", yes, how was it "cooked"? He won't have any proof. So that's slander. As a journalist, he should be responsible for this!

I find it interesting that if you like the ISU Facebook page, they had a "broadcast" post on either Sunday or Monday that said "Thank you for your feedback on the World FS Championships. If you persist in using inappropriate word choices, we will continue to delete your posts and you will be 'banned' from posting on this page...."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2