Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should Gorshkov be fired?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Has it ever occurred to some of you people that GAINING WEIGHT IS ALSO A NATURAL PUBERTY SIDE-EFFECT FOR GIRLS.
    It absolutely is a consequence of puberty but regardless of whether it's "natural" or not, weight-gain and hips are not conducive for skating and jumping.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Colanboy View Post
    It absolutely is a consequence of puberty but regardless of whether it's "natural" or not, weight-gain and hips are not conducive for skating and jumping.
    They are not, but I do NOT want to see Liza starving herself, and I want some of the people on here to understand that it's not like she's sitting on her butt in front of the TV between competitions eating junk.

Medalist
    They are not, but I do NOT want to see Liza starving herself, and I want some of the people on here to understand that it's not like she's sitting on her butt in front of the TV between competitions eating junk.
    I'm sure everyone here is fully aware of how hard Liza trains, but the physical demands of competing on the Olympic level are much higher than for the rest of us. I think an old interview with Buianova mentioned how meticulous Adelina was with her diet, eliminating sweets and strictly controlling her farinaceous foods.

Custom Title
    Of course she's not sitting in front of TV with hamburgers but athletes usually have very strict diets, especially those who have to be thin (figure skaters, gymnasts, etc.). You can't afford to have extra weight when you jump triples. After she retires, she can eat all the ice cream she wants.

Do we really know that she's stuffing herself with ice cream? Or did she just mention in an interview that she likes ice cream? I honestly don't know, because I haven't been "following" that closely - but what gives people the idea that she isn't on a strict diet - just like most figure skaters? (I remember in an interview with Yana Rudovskaya that she said that it was impossible to get fat living with Plushy as he was on such a strict diet... ) I'm really curious as to where all this is coming from? Is it fact? or rumour?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Blame Plushenko. .. He was injured, so Russia gets one.
    Plush is the only one who gets blamed for being operated. By some people. Pathetic.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Do we really know that she's stuffing herself with ice cream? Or did she just mention in an interview that she likes ice cream? I honestly don't know, because I haven't been "following" that closely - but what gives people the idea that she isn't on a strict diet - just like most figure skaters?
    Of course we don't know what kind of diet Liza is on. But we have seen her grow heavier since the GPF, when she was sick. It may be that she is doomed by her genes to be short and stocky, or that she is going through a period when she isn't growing taller, but her body is filling out. She could also have an underactive thyroid or some other condition that causes her to gain weight even on a healthful diet.

Whatever the reason, Liza is not in optimum shape right now. A starvation diet is certainly not the answer. Perhaps she will outgrow this stage of puberty, like Irina Slutskaya did, and have great success in a couple of years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Of course we don't know what kind of diet Liza is on. But we have seen her grow heavier since the GPF, when she was sick. It may be that she is doomed by her genes to be short and stocky, or that she is going through a period when she isn't growing taller, but her body is filling out. She could also have an underactive thyroid or some other condition that causes her to gain weight even on a healthful diet.
    this is actually what Im thinking, she is naturally petite but filling out will be a problem when you are short
    maybe her genes are just build stockier compared to say Julia and Adelinas. imo, julia has the most well proportioned body

It is mentioned in Russian forums she likes ice cream very much.
    even her instagram is filled with eating ice cream

Custom Title
    Elizaveta is just growing, shes 16! and its not having any negative affects on her skating, her jumps are as good as ever. To those saying that her skating lacks speed and lacks ice coverage, well that has always been the case even when she was younger and id say its something she can improve quite easily she is very talented and seems very determined. I dont think she looks heavy at all

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skatel80 View Post
    Elizaveta is just growing, shes 16! and its not having any negative affects on her skating, her jumps are as good as ever. To those saying that her skating lacks speed and lacks ice coverage, well that has always been the case even when she was younger and id say its something she can improve quite easily she is very talented and seems very determined. I dont think she looks heavy at all
    she is filling out but not getting any taller, Liza is petite
    Julia is now taller than Liza

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she is filling out but not getting any taller, Liza is petite
    Julia is now taller than Liza
    Plenty of pair girls are petite AND slim so just because Liza is short does not mean she necessarily will fill out to be "heavy". It might make things harder but to me she appears to have a small frame, so I really think her body is just adjusting now and once she reaches her more adult figure, the distribution of her weight will make it apparent that she is not heavy at all.

And comparing her to Julia doesn't say that much, Julia is not that short anyways, even last season, on the podium at junior worlds she was nearly as tall as Adelina. And now this season she has grown more, in pictures from JW you can see she is much taller than Radionova and nearly as tall as Pogo, who I actually think is a decent height, at JW warming up for the FS she looked like an amazon next to Miyahara and some of the other tiny ones. Julia is skinny and does not have particularly long limbs but she's probably 5'2" or more now, so when she finishes growing, likely will be average height.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    this is actually what Im thinking, she is naturally petite but filling out will be a problem when you are short
    maybe her genes are just build stockier compared to say Julia and Adelinas. imo, julia has the most well proportioned body

It is mentioned in Russian forums she likes ice cream very much.
    even her instagram is filled with eating ice cream
    Coincidentally (or not), Julia is also the only one of the three who hasn't yet experienced significant puberty issues. She mentioned prior to Junior Worlds that she was starting to see some body changes similar to those of Liza and Adelina. It's unlikely that she'll keep the same hyper-slim, leggy physique past her mid-teens.

I don't find anything wrong with a 16-year-old girl liking ice cream. Certainly, as an elite figure skater, Liza is held to a strict diet and can only enjoy sweets/junk food in the off-season. Your repetitiveness of this unsurprising fact is getting old, IMO.

Custom Title
    Julia doesn't have particularly long legs for her height, not compared to Radio and Pogo. And it is possible she could maintain that slim build after puberty, some women are just built like that. I mean, Mao and Yuna have not changed that much physically since they were 14 or 15. They are a few inches taller and have a more mature figure now, but, they are still very thin, leggy. Christina Gao is the same way, and again so many pairs girls are so tiny. Julia could change a lot but she also might not. Kororbeynikova and Shelepen are quite tall but remained very slender after their growthspurts. Idk. At this point thought it's unlikely Tuk will get much taller, though, so that along with other genetic factors could make staying at a target weight more of a challenge than for some others.

Also, regarding the ice cream. At the end of the day, weight is just calories in versus calories out. Athletes exercise a lot and have lots of muscle so they need to eat a lot. Eating ice cream does not mean someone is overeating, what is in your diet can effect things like muscle mass, body fat %, etc, but in terms of weight alone, it is completely possible to eat ice cream every day and not gain weight and maintain a low weight.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Liza is too narrow and thin, from what I saw at Euros, but as she goes through puberty her waist is getting more compact and her legs are filled out. Adelina is half year older than Liza and had her share of filling out last season if you remember too, but she has different body type with longer legs etc etc, and this year Adelina's jumps are better and her physique great and healthy. I think its not right to speculate that Liza eats unhealthy in the competition season or suggesting her an unhealthy diet, she has a whole team behind her.

Custom Title
    I am sure it would be a great education in delivering Russian insults in the frostiest ways possible, particularly since Mishin was pulling for Menshov.

Whoever said that the selectors deserved a slap over the wrist for sending Kovtun; no, they deserve a punch in the face.
    Agreed. The worst decision ever. Kovtun should have gone to Junior Worlds and Menshov Senior Worlds. I highly doubt Menshov would have placed 17th. Maybe not top 10, but certainly a better showing than that.

Dragonlady, there's no way Plushenko would have gotten silver, considering his form at Euros. But he's a good competitor so who knows.

Leonova surprisingly did better than I thought, and she still fought in her programs, in spite of the many errors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast