Should Gorshkov be fired? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Gorshkov be fired?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many skaters going through puberty deal with problems such as growing taller and developing hips. But Tuktamysheva's problem is NOT growing taller and developing hips. She is growing out rather than up---even her face has become round and she has a hint of a double chin. And it is affecting her jumps and ice coverage. She would do well to add lots of off-ice training to her regimen.

The one thing she should not do is wear those horrible black costumes with heavy black tights that not only do NOT make her appear slimmer, but make her look short, squat and almost matronly.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Many skaters going through puberty deal with problems such as growing taller and developing hips. But Tuktamysheva's problem is NOT growing taller and developing hips. She is growing out rather than up---even her face has become round and she has a hint of a double chin. And it is affecting her jumps and ice coverage. She would do well to add lots of off-ice training to her regimen.

The one thing she should not do is wear those horrible black costumes with heavy black tights that not only do NOT make her appear slimmer, but make her look short, squat and almost matronly.

This. Tuk problem is not height but it is weight
the black costumes are indeed used to make her appear slimmer but its really terrible to look at

Mishin has mentioned several times she is gaining weight
It will do best Liza to eat only 1 meal a day or less intake or carbs, forumers mention she really loves ice cream
imo, Mishin should monitor everything Liza eats and bar her eating any sweets that is causing her alarming weight gain

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
the black costumes are indeed used to make her appear slimmer but its really terrible to look at

It will do best Liza to eat only 1 meal a day or less intake or carbs, forumers mention she really loves ice cream
imo, Mishin should monitor everything Liza eats and bar her eating any sweets that is causing her alarming weight gain

And people wonder why so many female athletes develop eating disorders.

Sorry but I would rather forego the pleasure of watching ANY FS than see some poor woman starve herself (even unto death) for our entertainment.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For the women, they sent the best 3 they could; the group simply under delivered. I don't think any of their men would have finished high enough to secure two spots, although there arguably was a more deserving athlete. Pairs and dance teams did fine.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

I think I would like her a lot more if Mishin hands her a bar of ice cream at the Kiss and Cry. She needs to be relatable.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
And people wonder why so many female athletes develop eating disorders.

Sorry but I would rather forego the pleasure of watching ANY FS than see some poor woman starve herself (even unto death) for our entertainment.

So are the non-athletes. I deny myself ice cream ALL the time. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Guys who are calling Liza heavy, have any of you SEEN her in person? My guess is she looks very tiny in person. I've seen pictures of her on facebook and instagram and she looks tiny. Not waif-thin but petite, muscular, not fat or overweight in any way. Mostly what I notice is she has a rectangular build, in other words, her shoulders, waist, and hips are all about the same in width, and given that she is short and particularly through the torso, this combined with those ugly costumes are making her appear frumpy and though she might be out of shape when I severly doubt that is the case. She wouldn't be reeling off 3lz-3t as easy as she does if she were not in good shape and carrying a bunch of extra weight on her. It is normal during puberty for the waist to thicken and then later the weight redistributes itself and the shape is more mature and womanly. Liza isn't curvy and she's short, but her weight is fine and she's jumping well regardless of her changing build. Mostly I notice her legs are more muscular than last season, that seems to be where she mainly filled out, and that is normal and strong leg muscles will help her jump. Starving herself and eating once a day is NOT the answer. Plus, I would assume she's doing the best she can with her weight and trying to eat properly already.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't think it was wrong to send Liza and Adelina and it was right to send them. the problem may be the whole environment and that is why a better leader of the whole federation could be an improvement. The pushing of kovtun was a huge mistake because unlike Aaron and hanyu and gachinski and others in the pas two years did really awful. Where was any talent. Gold, osmond, zijun li, newcomers all did better. The sigles was not good.

No one can say morosov has been bad for I/k because they have shown improvement and did well in gp and euros. Obviously if you think morosov has been bad for I/k results who would be good and how are they transferred?

Gorshkov oversaw the transfer of I/k to morosov the sending of kovtun the training of sotnikova and tuktamisheva or maybe should have been aware of all the situations that produced bad results for singles and 2 dance teams and 1 pairs teams. There seems to be extreme chaos before Sochi and decline.

Only good things were v/t wining and b/s bronze which a lot happened after gorshkov was elected.

Maybe someone in russian skating needs to take some responsibility!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some girls gain weight when they go through puberty. Liza is one of them. So was Slutskaya---she lost her jumps at one point because she'd gained weight. The answer is off-ice training, not starvation. Liza needs to develop healthy eating and exercise habits until her body stabilizes. The truth is, her skating is suffering right now. She isn't getting high PCS scores even when she lands all her jumps because she's slow and her ice coverage is subpar.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Has it ever occurred to some of you people that GAINING WEIGHT IS ALSO A NATURAL PUBERTY SIDE-EFFECT FOR GIRLS.

Colanboy

Rinkside
Has it ever occurred to some of you people that GAINING WEIGHT IS ALSO A NATURAL PUBERTY SIDE-EFFECT FOR GIRLS.

It absolutely is a consequence of puberty but regardless of whether it's "natural" or not, weight-gain and hips are not conducive for skating and jumping.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It absolutely is a consequence of puberty but regardless of whether it's "natural" or not, weight-gain and hips are not conducive for skating and jumping.

They are not, but I do NOT want to see Liza starving herself, and I want some of the people on here to understand that it's not like she's sitting on her butt in front of the TV between competitions eating junk.

Colanboy

Rinkside
They are not, but I do NOT want to see Liza starving herself, and I want some of the people on here to understand that it's not like she's sitting on her butt in front of the TV between competitions eating junk.

I'm sure everyone here is fully aware of how hard Liza trains, but the physical demands of competing on the Olympic level are much higher than for the rest of us. I think an old interview with Buianova mentioned how meticulous Adelina was with her diet, eliminating sweets and strictly controlling her farinaceous foods.

ciocio

On the Ice

Of course she's not sitting in front of TV with hamburgers but athletes usually have very strict diets, especially those who have to be thin (figure skaters, gymnasts, etc.). You can't afford to have extra weight when you jump triples. After she retires, she can eat all the ice cream she wants. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Do we really know that she's stuffing herself with ice cream? Or did she just mention in an interview that she likes ice cream? I honestly don't know, because I haven't been "following" that closely - but what gives people the idea that she isn't on a strict diet - just like most figure skaters? (I remember in an interview with Yana Rudovskaya that she said that it was impossible to get fat living with Plushy as he was on such a strict diet... ) I'm really curious as to where all this is coming from? Is it fact? or rumour?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do we really know that she's stuffing herself with ice cream? Or did she just mention in an interview that she likes ice cream? I honestly don't know, because I haven't been "following" that closely - but what gives people the idea that she isn't on a strict diet - just like most figure skaters?

Of course we don't know what kind of diet Liza is on. But we have seen her grow heavier since the GPF, when she was sick. It may be that she is doomed by her genes to be short and stocky, or that she is going through a period when she isn't growing taller, but her body is filling out. She could also have an underactive thyroid or some other condition that causes her to gain weight even on a healthful diet.

Whatever the reason, Liza is not in optimum shape right now. A starvation diet is certainly not the answer. Perhaps she will outgrow this stage of puberty, like Irina Slutskaya did, and have great success in a couple of years.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Of course we don't know what kind of diet Liza is on. But we have seen her grow heavier since the GPF, when she was sick. It may be that she is doomed by her genes to be short and stocky, or that she is going through a period when she isn't growing taller, but her body is filling out. She could also have an underactive thyroid or some other condition that causes her to gain weight even on a healthful diet.

this is actually what Im thinking, she is naturally petite but filling out will be a problem when you are short
maybe her genes are just build stockier compared to say Julia and Adelinas. imo, julia has the most well proportioned body

It is mentioned in Russian forums she likes ice cream very much.
even her instagram is filled with eating ice cream

skatel80

On the Ice
Elizaveta is just growing, shes 16! and its not having any negative affects on her skating, her jumps are as good as ever. To those saying that her skating lacks speed and lacks ice coverage, well that has always been the case even when she was younger and id say its something she can improve quite easily she is very talented and seems very determined. I dont think she looks heavy at all

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Elizaveta is just growing, shes 16! and its not having any negative affects on her skating, her jumps are as good as ever. To those saying that her skating lacks speed and lacks ice coverage, well that has always been the case even when she was younger and id say its something she can improve quite easily she is very talented and seems very determined. I dont think she looks heavy at all

she is filling out but not getting any taller, Liza is petite
Julia is now taller than Liza