Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chances of Making the Olympics Team

Custom Title
    C&S made the grave mistake of not going for it all. Had they done the 3a and 4Sal throws, even with fall, they would command respect and put them in even greater position than D/C. Those throws say "don't count me out" Their PCS wouldn't tank so much either. Look at Max's PCS. The judges do reward higher PCS for higher TES. Instead, 2A and 3Sal when they have absolutely nothing to lose. Prior to World, I was having high hope for them. This would be their time. After World, I don't care for them anymore.
    What a fatal strategy! I wouldn't trust their coach moving forward. D/C will come back as US #1, just like they've never left.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    How exactly Adelina and Liza are losing their talent, they finished top ten and honestly they fought for 3 gaining spots instead of just having to keep the 3 spots, Leonova skated like she wasnt there, and it was clear from sp that for both girls there was not room for error.

Japan has only two spots for men?
    I think it's not that Adelina and Liza are losing their talents, but more that the rest of the field is upping their technical game again. Now you got Gracie and Li putting out 3-3s and the veterans like Mao and Carolina are attempting them again b/c let's face it they don't have a shot at dethroning Kim otherwise.

Japan still has 3 spots. Thanks to Dai's 6th and Hanyu pulling up to finish 4th, so that makes 10 < 13.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Also for US men Ross I think is in the same position as Adam Rippon last season. Jeremy idk what to think so I will guess the team will be Max and then Dornbush or Farris, but most likely Dornbush. Unless Abbott is healthy and skating consistently well next season then Aaron and Abbott will probably go. I guess then there's the dubious question of a Lysacek return though...
    I dont rate Dornbush's chances as highly as you. He has had a poor season and has really not lived up to expectations since his great 2011. I dont see his chances as any better than Abbott or Miner, even now. I have a feeling the team will either be Aaron and Abbott if Abbott skates well at Nationals, as skating well he is too good to be denied; or Aaron and one of the up and comers (but probably not Dornbush), or if Evan returns in surprisingly strong form and Abbott doesnt skate well then maybe Aaron and Lysacek. You can tell that I expect Aaron to make the team though, LOL! Aaron is the one I am almost sure will, and Rippon is the only one I am almost sure wont.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    How exactly Adelina and Liza are losing their talent, they finished top ten and honestly they fought for 3 gaining spots instead of just having to keep the 3 spots, Leonova skated like she wasnt there, and it was clear from sp that for both girls there was not room for error.

Japan has only two spots for men?
    They have three. I made a mistake in my post only listing two at first.

Custom Title
    Honestly, even if Abbott wins the US title again, the US shouldn't send him. (I know, I know, it's in the rules.) But he's shown time and again that he can't be trusted at any comp after Nationals.

Aaron is certaily a top contender. I was mighty impressed with how unruffled he seems to be. Other skaters might have gone to pieces when they hit the boards. Not Max...

Miner is not done yet. He'll be back, but I hope he gets some help with his jumps in the off-season - they freak me out a bit.

Farris may be a bit young yet to consider for Olympic contention, but the USFSA needs to ignore that if he's skating well. Ditto with Brown. They are special skaters who could really make a splash at Sochi - if they are ready to go.

Dornbush is wavering on the edge...I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw at Nationals, but to give him credit, he knows how to fight. If he can get two decent programs this season and just build himself slowly, he may very well become a contender.

Rippon is in the same basket as Abbott, IMO. Proven unreliable time and again.

Custom Title
    For all the people complaining about the flack being thrown at Ross..seems like a lot of people are doing the same with Adam. Rippon was 13th to Miner's 14th at Worlds last year with a comparable score and was a creditable 4th at 4CC last year to Miner's underwhelming 9th this year. GPs he's been okay, Ross may have 2 GP medals but the events he didn't medal in over the past 2 seasons were also comparable to Rippon's showings, middle of the road decent scores, decent showings. Rippon struggled with the 3a last season but was also trying for the quad, albeit without much success last season, and the same could be said for Miner this season. Rippon landed two 3a in his FS at Nationals and Miner only one, and actually, Ross has not landed two 3a in his FS since NHK so that's 3 competitions in a row where he's botched the 3a. Seems like Rippon is getting unfair treatment because Miner's situation this season is incredibly comparable to Rippon last season (including very generous PCS scores at Nationals, which Adam did not benefit from this season), and from what I've seen, Rippon actually improved this season. So IMO they both have a shot and if one is "done" then they both are, but I doubt that either are truly really done just yet.

That being said, Dornbush has much better odds than either of them IMO. He was quite good at 4CCs and even with mistakes he put up a big score. I still think Abbott is in contention because even skating just okay, he's still probably better than anyone else (in terms of scores, because of PCS) except maybe Aaron due to Aaron's insane tech. He just has to avoid meltdowns because that's when his scores can drop lower and someone else skating well can do better.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    If people aren't expecting the second American guy to do well anyway, might as well send someone like Abbott for his last hurrah, if healthy. I only hope he gives us excellent programs like his masterpiece in 2012 rather than the dreck he gave us this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I still think Abbott is in contention because even skating just okay, he's still probably better than anyone else (in terms of scores, because of PCS) except maybe Aaron due to Aaron's insane tech. He just has to avoid meltdowns because that's when his scores can drop lower and someone else skating well can do better.
    The problem with Abbott is that the pattern is obvious. He does just enough to make a big splash at Nationals and get picked for teams, then he bombs out. He's completely unreliable. His skating is very nice and I'd like to see him fix the headcasing but I fear if it hasn't happened by now it ain't gonna happen.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

The problem with Abbott is that the pattern is obvious. He does just enough to make a big splash at Nationals and get picked for teams, then he bombs out. He's completely unreliable. His skating is very nice and I'd like to see him fix the headcasing but I fear if it hasn't happened by now it ain't gonna happen.
    If Abbott can throw down 2 clean programs with a quad he could have a Paul Wylie moment. Jeremy is a wonderful skater he just needs to get his head together. Not making the World team could prove to be excellent motivation.

Edgy Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    He seems to be suffering from "the Menshov voodoo doll" but in this case it was the Abbott voodoo doll...(sorry, couldn't resist)
    The Menshov voodoo doll was a funny joke, but posters here keep overusing it like skaters overuse Carmen music .
    And Im not even sure if Menshov is that great to start with. I am not entirely sure whether he would have done good job if had been sent to Worlds. OK, considering the poor level of the competition, maybe he could have pulled Ten. .

Sorry for OT .

Anyway, the next season will be super exciting! Newcomers who established themselves as real talents this season will probably develop super fast: Osmond, Scimeca/Kierim, James/Cipres, Zhijun Li, Yan Han, Gold, Chock/Bates, Aaron - just to name few.
    Some older skaters will need to fight back: Suzuki, Dai, Pang/Tong, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Joubert, Verner (?) (though I stopped believing in him), Pechalat/Bourzat, Abbott
    Others with average results this season but huge expectations will have to rise to the occassion: Sotnikova, Tukt, Amodio, Brezina, Shibutanis.

And those super hungry for big success, they are almost there: Murakami, Fernandez, Hanyu, MT/M, Reynolds (?), Weaver/Poje

Finally, the final of the biggest rivalry: Davis/White, Virtue/Moir.

I tell you guys, it is going to be an epic season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinga View Post
    The Menshov voodoo doll was a funny joke, but posters here keep overusing it like skaters overuse Carmen music .
    And Im not even sure if Menshov is that great to start with. I am not entirely sure whether he would have done good job if had been sent to Worlds. OK, considering the poor level of the competition, maybe he could have pulled Ten. .

Sorry for OT .
    Sorry to "Carmenize" the joke. I'm sorry for some reason the visual of Team Menshov with voodoo dolls just cracked me up and it seem that with a few exceptions Russia did not have a great Worlds, so voodoo seems like an obvious thing to blame.

That said, I think Menshov is unappreciated. I was prepared to be "meh" at Skate America but I was pleasantly surprised. He has nice big jumps and a fairly good presence. No he's not an artist in the likes of Chan, Dai and Co. but he isn't just all jumps either.

I do hope Menshov makes a run for that sole spot, his chances are slim with Plushy likely getting it but I hope he has a good season!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinga View Post

Sorry for OT .

Anyway, the next season will be super exciting! Newcomers who established themselves as real talents this season will probably develop super fast: Osmond, Scimeca/Kierim, James/Cipres, Zhijun Li, Yan Han, Gold, Chock/Bates, Aaron - just to name few.
    Some older skaters will need to fight back: Suzuki, Dai, Pang/Tong, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Joubert, Verner (?) (though I stopped believing in him), Pechalat/Bourzat, Abbott
    Others with average results this season but huge expectations will have to rise to the occassion: Sotnikova, Tukt, Amodio, Brezina, Shibutanis.

And those super hungry for big success, they are almost there: Murakami, Fernandez, Hanyu, MT/M, Reynolds (?), Weaver/Poje

Finally, the final of the biggest rivalry: Davis/White, Virtue/Moir.

I tell you guys, it is going to be an epic season!!!
    I agree. A mix of older veterans some who are aiming for a 3rd Olympics and the youngsters who want to prove themselves and are hungry. After a season where their were a lot of injuries next season should be great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3