Tran and Purich hope for third spot next season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tran and Purich hope for third spot next season

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lawrence / Sweigers haven't been impressive this season. Two 4th places in the GP, and next to last at 4CC.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think they have a shot at the 3rd spot. IF they are any good their first year together the only real competition for them would be Lawrence & Swiegers, and they are quite beatable. It is a realistic goal for sure.

emdee

Final Flight
When I saw Brooklee Han at worlds i thought she would be the perfect partner for Mervin.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sounds like they are going to do better than with their previous partners. Too bad for Natasha's previous partner though, who needs to find a new one.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if Purich will be ready for senior ranks. Other than a stint at NHK she hasn't had much experience. As for Tran, I can't imagine him doing better than world bronze with Narumi. It'll be very interesting to see how they hold up. You've got to imagine that they'll get a PCS boost right away with Mervin, but hopefully they bring the technical game too.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Natasha also has a great personality on the ice. I've been watching her as a single skater at summer events in Canada for the past 3 seasons, and she caught my eye right away. She has the makings of a great pair diva, ala Volosozhar.

Trankov seems like the diva in that partnership ... Hahahaha!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sounds like they are going to do better than with their previous partners. Too bad for Natasha's previous partner though, who needs to find a new one.

It is nice to be positive but realistically a world bronze is going to be hard to beat especially if they expect or hope to be up there on the world level let alone the national level. She is still unproven internationally - well relatively speaking as well. Not to be negative but Tran and his former partner won bronze - that cursed bronze medal where so many have won and then never to be seen again I wouldn't get too excited yet. I can tell Tran was hurt by the JSF and his former partner's decision. He is trying to be positive but the jumps may be stronger supposedly the timing and flow and artistry is something that needs to develop. i am sure though Canada will embrace this team though Tran did ditch Canada for his hope of making the world's and oly's with a Japanese teammate whose nation would be easier to win a spot to world's.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
It is nice to be positive but realistically a world bronze is going to be hard to beat especially if they expect or hope to be up there on the world level let alone the national level. She is still unproven internationally - well relatively speaking as well. Not to be negative but Tran and his former partner won bronze - that cursed bronze medal where so many have won and then never to be seen again I wouldn't get too excited yet. I can tell Tran was hurt by the JSF and his former partner's decision. He is trying to be positive but the jumps may be stronger supposedly the timing and flow and artistry is something that needs to develop. i am sure though Canada will embrace this team though Tran did ditch Canada for his hope of making the world's and oly's with a Japanese teammate whose nation would be easier to win a spot to world's.

He who laughs last, laughs best. What Tran needs to do is have a better showing with his new partner than Narumi has with hers. Whether that can happen as early as next season is debatable though.

emdee

Final Flight
Tran trains under Gauthier and they have had very good success with rematched pairs eg Jamie and David who came together as a pair really fast. I think the pairs training there is solid.
Also love Julie Marcottes's choreo.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm wondering if Purich will be ready for senior ranks. Other than a stint at NHK she hasn't had much experience. As for Tran, I can't imagine him doing better than world bronze with Narumi. It'll be very interesting to see how they hold up. You've got to imagine that they'll get a PCS boost right away with Mervin, but hopefully they bring the technical game too.

Tak/Tran were together 5 years before they won World bronze. No one is expecting Purich/Tran to reach that level of success immediately. But why say they can't reach it ever? The Russians V/T and K/S and the Germans S/S will likely retire after Sochi. Bazarova/Larionov will never be an unbeatable team because Vera is an inconsistent jumper, and none of the younger Russian pairs look all that impressive. Dylan Moscovitch will be 29 in September, so who knows how long he will continue.

As for Purich, she has skated pairs for two years, so it isn't as if she has had no experience. She was a good singles skater, and I always felt that she was by far a better skater than Arcieri and he was holding her back.

murtle92

Spectator
Yay! Now my question is what province will they rep I'm personally rooting for Tran's home province of SK

murtle92

Spectator
I know and the funniest thing is (in my opinion) its basically gonna be battle of saskatchewan for that third spot haha (Mervin's from Regina)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Tak/Tran were together 5 years before they won World bronze. No one is expecting Purich/Tran to reach that level of success immediately. But why say they can't reach it ever? The Russians V/T and K/S and the Germans S/S will likely retire after Sochi. Bazarova/Larionov will never be an unbeatable team because Vera is an inconsistent jumper, and none of the younger Russian pairs look all that impressive. Dylan Moscovitch will be 29 in September, so who knows how long he will continue.

As for Purich, she has skated pairs for two years, so it isn't as if she has had no experience. She was a good singles skater, and I always felt that she was by far a better skater than Arcieri and he was holding her back.

Oh, I never said they won't ever reach it - especially when I have yet to see them skate. I'm just saying that it'll be a while before Purich/Tran achieve the same chemistry that Takahashi/Tran had.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Takahashi is not that strong a skater. Mervin Tran was most of their success. Now that they have split I doubt we will hear anything about her ever again (maybe about her coming last at such and such a World or Olympic event). I am confident in time he and Purich can do just as well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Takahashi is not that strong a skater. Mervin Tran was most of their success. Now that they have split I doubt we will hear anything about her ever again (maybe about her coming last at such and such a World or Olympic event). I am confident in time he and Purich can do just as well.

Wow, you just have the prettiest things to say about everyone, don't you? :rolleye: Saying Tran is most of their success when she has to land the throws, and also execute the same SBS jumps, is pretty unfair to Narumi. Yes, she wasn't the strongest skater out there, but she got the job done.

You're saying you're confident that in time Tran & Purich will win GP medals, make the GPF, and get at least a World bronze... without having seen them compete even once?

Counting your chickens, much? :laugh:

murtle92

Spectator
I'm super excited about this pair mainly because it will do wonders for skating in my province having not just lawrence and swiegers but also being able to lay claim to mervin as well. They have a realistic shot at sochi and what an interesting pairs event it will be at nationals!