Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tran and Purich hope for third spot next season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I'm wondering if Purich will be ready for senior ranks. Other than a stint at NHK she hasn't had much experience. As for Tran, I can't imagine him doing better than world bronze with Narumi. It'll be very interesting to see how they hold up. You've got to imagine that they'll get a PCS boost right away with Mervin, but hopefully they bring the technical game too.
    Tak/Tran were together 5 years before they won World bronze. No one is expecting Purich/Tran to reach that level of success immediately. But why say they can't reach it ever? The Russians V/T and K/S and the Germans S/S will likely retire after Sochi. Bazarova/Larionov will never be an unbeatable team because Vera is an inconsistent jumper, and none of the younger Russian pairs look all that impressive. Dylan Moscovitch will be 29 in September, so who knows how long he will continue.

As for Purich, she has skated pairs for two years, so it isn't as if she has had no experience. She was a good singles skater, and I always felt that she was by far a better skater than Arcieri and he was holding her back.

Rinkside
    Yay! Now my question is what province will they rep I'm personally rooting for Tran's home province of SK

Rinkside
    I know and the funniest thing is (in my opinion) its basically gonna be battle of saskatchewan for that third spot haha (Mervin's from Regina)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Tak/Tran were together 5 years before they won World bronze. No one is expecting Purich/Tran to reach that level of success immediately. But why say they can't reach it ever? The Russians V/T and K/S and the Germans S/S will likely retire after Sochi. Bazarova/Larionov will never be an unbeatable team because Vera is an inconsistent jumper, and none of the younger Russian pairs look all that impressive. Dylan Moscovitch will be 29 in September, so who knows how long he will continue.

As for Purich, she has skated pairs for two years, so it isn't as if she has had no experience. She was a good singles skater, and I always felt that she was by far a better skater than Arcieri and he was holding her back.
    Oh, I never said they won't ever reach it - especially when I have yet to see them skate. I'm just saying that it'll be a while before Purich/Tran achieve the same chemistry that Takahashi/Tran had.

Custom Title
    Takahashi is not that strong a skater. Mervin Tran was most of their success. Now that they have split I doubt we will hear anything about her ever again (maybe about her coming last at such and such a World or Olympic event). I am confident in time he and Purich can do just as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Takahashi is not that strong a skater. Mervin Tran was most of their success. Now that they have split I doubt we will hear anything about her ever again (maybe about her coming last at such and such a World or Olympic event). I am confident in time he and Purich can do just as well.
    Wow, you just have the prettiest things to say about everyone, don't you? Saying Tran is most of their success when she has to land the throws, and also execute the same SBS jumps, is pretty unfair to Narumi. Yes, she wasn't the strongest skater out there, but she got the job done.

You're saying you're confident that in time Tran & Purich will win GP medals, make the GPF, and get at least a World bronze... without having seen them compete even once?

Counting your chickens, much?

Rinkside
    I'm super excited about this pair mainly because it will do wonders for skating in my province having not just lawrence and swiegers but also being able to lay claim to mervin as well. They have a realistic shot at sochi and what an interesting pairs event it will be at nationals!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3