Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Pride? Yes. Shame? Without question.-

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    545

    Pride? Yes. Shame? Without question.-

    The 2013 Worlds had many memorable moments. Many for the wrong reason. I started this thread to wade through the many 100 + pages of posts. Why should you care? Really, no reason at all. We all have opinions.

    Thank you to Universal Sports for providing so many hours of skating. Perhaps unprecedented? Don't know, certainly recently.

    Congrats to so many skaters for living up to their dreams. Some of the stories were big, some small but personal.

    Special kudos for Davis/White and Gold/Wagner for securing 3 spots. No surprise for D/W - but please, let's not take them for granted. Gold /Wagner - hopefully you get 2 of the 3 spots you made happen.

    That's the (limited) good, bad (really- not so much bad) and the ugly (more so). The ugly? Skaters still being held up. (I had to explain to a crowd of friends gathered, what being "held up" meant- unfortunate.) No one cares what I think- and really, none of us should care, we all just want to hear that we are agreed with- no one's opinion is really changed by these boards.

    All this said. I am from the US, but I like good skating. I don't care about nationality. Yes, very happy for Davis/White (although, huge V/M fans- just thought D/W had it this season) and thrilled Gold/Wagner secured 3 spots for US women.

    Sigh. But Chan for the win? Kostner for the silver? It's a disgrace. I might look past Chan because of his glorious SP, but who can get past Kostner's grotesque 2-program fiasco? The phrase being "held up" refers to a person being robbed. Kostner- a likeable and talented young lady- held no one up. The judges did it.

    The judging? And the ISU? Shame on you. Many of the holes and pockets of favortism have been exposed. You might want to read the press on what is considered to be one of the most impressive, yet scandolous World's of recent memory. Your behaviour has not gone unnoticed, but the clandestine conclaves will continue. As they have forever. Salt Lake City/IJS... what have you wrought?

    Last thought- how can we get US audiences to care again about skating again?

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    The 2013 Worlds had many memorable moments. Many for the wrong reason. I started this thread to wade through the many 100 + pages of posts. Why should you care? Really, no reason at all. We all have opinions.

    Thank you to Universal Sports for providing so many hours of skating. Perhaps unprecedented? Don't know, certainly recently.

    Congrats to so many skaters for living up to their dreams. Some of the stories were big, some small but personal.

    Special kudos for Davis/White and Gold/Wagner for securing 3 spots. No surprise for D/W - but please, let's not take them for granted. Gold /Wagner - hopefully you get 2 of the 3 spots you made happen.

    That's the (limited) good, bad (really- not so much bad) and the ugly (more so). The ugly? Skaters still being held up. (I had to explain to a crowd of friends gathered, what being "held up" meant- unfortunate.) No one cares what I think- and really, none of us should care, we all just want to hear that we are agreed with- no one's opinion is really changed by these boards.

    All this said. I am from the US, but I like good skating. I don't care about nationality. Yes, very happy for Davis/White (although, huge V/M fans- just thought D/W had it this season) and thrilled Gold/Wagner secured 3 spots for US women.

    Sigh. But Chan for the win? Kostner for the silver? It's a disgrace. I might look past Chan because of his glorious SP, but who can get past Kostner's grotesque 2-program fiasco? The phrase being "held up" refers to a person being robbed. Kostner- a likeable and talented young lady- held no one up. The judges did it.

    The judging? And the ISU? Shame on you. Many of the holes and pockets of favortism have been exposed. You might want to read the press on what is considered to be one of the most impressive, yet scandolous World's of recent memory. Your behaviour has not gone unnoticed, but the clandestine conclaves will continue. As they have forever. Salt Lake City/IJS... what have you wrought?

    Last thought- how can we get US audiences to care again about skating again?
    Kostner is the farthest thing from grotesque. This is a ridiculous statement.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    102
    ^ Thats nothing compared to the people who rip her to shreds on youtube.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by icedinn View Post
    ^ Thats nothing compared to the people who rip her to shreds on youtube.
    Carolina is stunning on the ice and she deserved a medal today.

  5. #5
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by kimganos View Post
    Kostner is the farthest thing from grotesque. This is a ridiculous statement.
    To be fair, the poster was describing Kostner's programs at this competition grotesque, not Kostner herself. In the same paragraph, she describes Kostner as a likeable and talented young lady..

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    To be fair, the poster was describing Kostner's programs at this competition grotesque, not Kostner herself. In the same paragraph, she describes Kostner as a likeable and talented young lady..
    Thank you, I can read and to say her programs in this competition were grotesque is a ridiculous statement IMO.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,670
    Kostner deserved the silver medal. Sure, she fell and popped a jump, but Mao doubled-footed her 3a (looked under to me), URd her flip, and URd one of the jumps in her 3-jump combo. Mao looked like a zombie for the first half of her program and didn't come alive until after the jumps were done---that is something for which Gracie Gold has been criticized. I thought Caroline was quite impressive throughout her program, and I've never been a big fan until very recently.

    As for the SP, Kostner fell on the 3/3, but Mao double-footed her 3a, URd her 3f, and singled the loop.

  8. #8
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Kostner deserved the silver medal. Sure, she fell and popped a jump, but Mao doubled-footed her 3a (looked under to me), URd her flip, and URd one of the jumps in her 3-jump combo. Mao looked like a zombie for the first half of her program and didn't come alive until after the jumps were done---that is something for which Gracie Gold has been criticized. I thought Caroline was quite impressive throughout her program, and I've never been a big fan until very recently.

    As for the SP, Kostner fell on the 3/3, but Mao double-footed her 3a, URd her 3f, and singled the loop.
    Yeah.... .Kostner had a lot of truly great stuff in her skates and that Bolero is a masterpiece! And to compare her to Chan here. No. Just No although I think Patrick did deserve to podium.

  9. #9
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,235
    Kostner's LP was mesmerizing. She had the crowd going nuts throughout. She had difficult content (popped 3Lo notwithstanding) and a lot of guts to go for the 3S at the 4:08 mark...I am not even a Kostner fan but I will definitely say she deserved her medal. If she had won with that, I can understand "held up"...

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,678
    I think Kostner deserved the medal. I'm not saying she didn't deserve the silver, but since it was so close, I would have felt better with Mao getting the silver medal: that was a very well skated free and the difference could have been just a bit bigger to give Mao the silver. That's just my opinion.
    I am glad (and surprised) to see how many people appreciate Carolina today. I always loved her skating and never understood the amount of criticism she was getting. It's true that today she is a queen on the ice, but she was very good even in her earlier years: just watch her 2007 Worlds SP. The quality was always there and it's great to see her finally skating to her potential.
    I don't agree with Chan's gold, S/S silver medal (that 3A was awesome though) and B/S bronze medal. The ladies event was pretty well judged IMO

  11. #11
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by kimganos View Post
    Thank you, I can read and to say her programs in this competition were grotesque is a ridiculous statement IMO.
    You have to admit the fall at the end of her LP was rather grotesque. And I don't hate Kostner.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    You have to admit the fall at the end of her LP was rather grotesque. And I don't hate Kostner.
    Unfortunate but not grotesque.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    You have to admit the fall at the end of her LP was rather grotesque. And I don't hate Kostner.
    What was so grotesque about her fall? Should she learn how to fall in a more artistic way? She didn't have any transitions in and out of the fall, or what?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •