Pride? Yes. Shame? Without question.- | Golden Skate

Pride? Yes. Shame? Without question.-

waxel

Final Flight
The 2013 Worlds had many memorable moments. Many for the wrong reason. I started this thread to wade through the many 100 + pages of posts. Why should you care? Really, no reason at all. We all have opinions.

Thank you to Universal Sports for providing so many hours of skating. Perhaps unprecedented? Don't know, certainly recently.

Congrats to so many skaters for living up to their dreams. Some of the stories were big, some small but personal.

Special kudos for Davis/White and Gold/Wagner for securing 3 spots. No surprise for D/W - but please, let's not take them for granted. Gold /Wagner - hopefully you get 2 of the 3 spots you made happen.

That's the (limited) good, bad (really- not so much bad) and the ugly (more so). The ugly? Skaters still being held up. (I had to explain to a crowd of friends gathered, what being "held up" meant- unfortunate.) No one cares what I think- and really, none of us should care, we all just want to hear that we are agreed with- no one's opinion is really changed by these boards.

All this said. I am from the US, but I like good skating. I don't care about nationality. Yes, very happy for Davis/White (although, huge V/M fans- just thought D/W had it this season) and thrilled Gold/Wagner secured 3 spots for US women.

Sigh. But Chan for the win? Kostner for the silver? It's a disgrace. I might look past Chan because of his glorious SP, but who can get past Kostner's grotesque 2-program fiasco? The phrase being "held up" refers to a person being robbed. Kostner- a likeable and talented young lady- held no one up. The judges did it.

The judging? And the ISU? Shame on you. Many of the holes and pockets of favortism have been exposed. You might want to read the press on what is considered to be one of the most impressive, yet scandolous World's of recent memory. Your behaviour has not gone unnoticed, but the clandestine conclaves will continue. As they have forever. Salt Lake City/IJS... what have you wrought?

Last thought- how can we get US audiences to care again about skating again?

kimganos

On the Ice
The 2013 Worlds had many memorable moments. Many for the wrong reason. I started this thread to wade through the many 100 + pages of posts. Why should you care? Really, no reason at all. We all have opinions.

Thank you to Universal Sports for providing so many hours of skating. Perhaps unprecedented? Don't know, certainly recently.

Congrats to so many skaters for living up to their dreams. Some of the stories were big, some small but personal.

Special kudos for Davis/White and Gold/Wagner for securing 3 spots. No surprise for D/W - but please, let's not take them for granted. Gold /Wagner - hopefully you get 2 of the 3 spots you made happen.

That's the (limited) good, bad (really- not so much bad) and the ugly (more so). The ugly? Skaters still being held up. (I had to explain to a crowd of friends gathered, what being "held up" meant- unfortunate.) No one cares what I think- and really, none of us should care, we all just want to hear that we are agreed with- no one's opinion is really changed by these boards.

All this said. I am from the US, but I like good skating. I don't care about nationality. Yes, very happy for Davis/White (although, huge V/M fans- just thought D/W had it this season) and thrilled Gold/Wagner secured 3 spots for US women.

Sigh. But Chan for the win? Kostner for the silver? It's a disgrace. I might look past Chan because of his glorious SP, but who can get past Kostner's grotesque 2-program fiasco? The phrase being "held up" refers to a person being robbed. Kostner- a likeable and talented young lady- held no one up. The judges did it.

The judging? And the ISU? Shame on you. Many of the holes and pockets of favortism have been exposed. You might want to read the press on what is considered to be one of the most impressive, yet scandolous World's of recent memory. Your behaviour has not gone unnoticed, but the clandestine conclaves will continue. As they have forever. Salt Lake City/IJS... what have you wrought?

Last thought- how can we get US audiences to care again about skating again?

Kostner is the farthest thing from grotesque. This is a ridiculous statement.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
^ Thats nothing compared to the people who rip her to shreds on youtube.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Kostner is the farthest thing from grotesque. This is a ridiculous statement.

To be fair, the poster was describing Kostner's programs at this competition grotesque, not Kostner herself. In the same paragraph, she describes Kostner as a likeable and talented young lady..

kimganos

On the Ice
To be fair, the poster was describing Kostner's programs at this competition grotesque, not Kostner herself. In the same paragraph, she describes Kostner as a likeable and talented young lady..

Thank you, I can read and to say her programs in this competition were grotesque is a ridiculous statement IMO.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kostner deserved the silver medal. Sure, she fell and popped a jump, but Mao doubled-footed her 3a (looked under to me), URd her flip, and URd one of the jumps in her 3-jump combo. Mao looked like a zombie for the first half of her program and didn't come alive until after the jumps were done---that is something for which Gracie Gold has been criticized. I thought Caroline was quite impressive throughout her program, and I've never been a big fan until very recently.

As for the SP, Kostner fell on the 3/3, but Mao double-footed her 3a, URd her 3f, and singled the loop.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Kostner deserved the silver medal. Sure, she fell and popped a jump, but Mao doubled-footed her 3a (looked under to me), URd her flip, and URd one of the jumps in her 3-jump combo. Mao looked like a zombie for the first half of her program and didn't come alive until after the jumps were done---that is something for which Gracie Gold has been criticized. I thought Caroline was quite impressive throughout her program, and I've never been a big fan until very recently.

As for the SP, Kostner fell on the 3/3, but Mao double-footed her 3a, URd her 3f, and singled the loop.

Yeah.... .Kostner had a lot of truly great stuff in her skates and that Bolero is a masterpiece! And to compare her to Chan here. No. Just No although I think Patrick did deserve to podium.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Kostner's LP was mesmerizing. She had the crowd going nuts throughout. She had difficult content (popped 3Lo notwithstanding) and a lot of guts to go for the 3S at the 4:08 mark...I am not even a Kostner fan but I will definitely say she deserved her medal. If she had won with that, I can understand "held up"...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I think Kostner deserved the medal. I'm not saying she didn't deserve the silver, but since it was so close, I would have felt better with Mao getting the silver medal: that was a very well skated free and the difference could have been just a bit bigger to give Mao the silver. That's just my opinion.
I am glad (and surprised) to see how many people appreciate Carolina today. I always loved her skating and never understood the amount of criticism she was getting. It's true that today she is a queen on the ice, but she was very good even in her earlier years: just watch her 2007 Worlds SP. The quality was always there and it's great to see her finally skating to her potential.
I don't agree with Chan's gold, S/S silver medal (that 3A was awesome though) and B/S bronze medal. The ladies event was pretty well judged IMO

Mirunna

Record Breaker
You have to admit the fall at the end of her LP was rather grotesque. And I don't hate Kostner.

What was so grotesque about her fall? :rolleye: Should she learn how to fall in a more artistic way? She didn't have any transitions in and out of the fall, or what?