Conclusions for the 2013 World Championships | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Conclusions for the 2013 World Championships

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm confused, why is Dornbush being talked about in a thread about Worlds? Did I miss his performance or something? :laugh:

I wish :p

Anyways I HOPE Dornbush makes the Olympic team and kicks butt next season. He's too good to be finishing 6th at Nationals. And I would like Jason Brown a lot better if he would get away from Roehene Ward (although I liked his Baliwood SP and Avatar FS). His programs this season were just a bit odd.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But atm I am a bit :unsure: if Josh can actually do 4t-3t combos in practice considering he pretty much always splats on the jump in competition. But maybe he can, his falls on the jump just seem very heavy in competition so that's why I wonder.

Sure he can. If you read the practice reports from US Nationals he was quadding all over the place. Josh has the 4T consistent in practice, he just can't get it out on the competition ice yet. And that's fine. These things take time.

Miner has RECENTLY added the quad (this season) and has been equally consistent with it to Dornbush who has been attempting it for TWO seasons now. I say give him another summer to work on it in program situations and we shall see what happens.

Ding ding ding, thankyou.

(I also agree with your assessment of Jason, but shhhh, don't jinx it! ;))

For other Jason Brown fans, his JW 2013 SP has been taken down by youtube-which made me very, very sad, because I wanted to rewatch it this morning. I am so hoping he gets his 4T quickly!

:(

I shall go look through my folders and see if I snaffled it and can reupload it. I can't remember if I did.

And I would like Jason Brown a lot better if he would get away from Roehene Ward (although I liked his Baliwood SP and Avatar FS). His programs this season were just a bit odd.

:unsure:

While I wasn't the biggest fan of Prince, a lot of people liked it, and Jason skated it well. And Liebestraume was divine. Jason is Rohene's muse and it's obviously working so why change it?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Idk to me Rohene's choreo is too busy, Jason has gorgeous flexibility and extension so it should really be emphasized, and a piece like Liebestraume is slow and lyrical enough that there's the opportunity to do just that, but there was a lot of upper body movement and it just seemed a bit staccato for the music and distracting from what Jason does best, I felt like he was so busy doing all this stuff with his upper body that the spirals started to look like they were thrown in there just to show how flexible he is due to the short amount of time he held them for, idk, the Liebestraume program reminded me of Lipnitskaya's programs and while I love Julia as a skater, not a huge fan of her choreo either. What is with this obsession with arm flailing? It's like because Plush and Lysacek did it all of a sudden it seems like all the young up-and-coming skaters are moving their arms a mile a minute too and it just makes me dizzy, and divides one's attention into too many different places.

If you watch Rippon's new FS, Dickson did a great job with the choreo, the movements are given time to breathe and you can fully appreciate Adam's stretch and lovely positions. That is what Jason needs. If Rohene was so great for him then I don't think Kovtun would be getting higher PCS than him, ever, and yet at the JGPF, Kovtun did, and no Brown was not at his best there but he wasn't a disaster either, so really, that speaks to situation. Who did Shawn Sawyer's choreo btw? He had great spirals and extension too so maybe Brown could do well with whoever he used to work with, the Alice in Wonderland program was very cool.

Also the fact that Ross just put the quad in his programs at 21 does not say anything except that he was really late adding the quad to his arsenal. It maybe would have been smarter for him to start working on it awhile ago so his jumping wouldn't struggle the way they have been recently in such proximity to the Olympics. And as for the 3a and 4t/quads in general being similar in terms of mechanics...idk, usually it seems like it takes awhile to get both consistent. Farris owns the 3a but is still usually falling on the 4t in competition, Dornbush used to own the 3a but once he added the 4t to his programs the 3a became hit or miss, odd as his axel technique is, Miner was very consistent with his 3a both last season and the season before, but started to have some trouble with it this season after adding the 4s to his inventory. Chan's 3a was never consistent but got less so when he starting doing 4ts all over the place. 3a was Brezina's bread and butter for years, rock solid, but once he started focusing on his quads, we see he now sometimes misses the 3a.

So basically I can think of 3 guys who are solid with 3a and 4t (or 4s) and they are Hanyu, Joubert, and Fernandez. Hanyu has always been good with 3a but his 4t only became really consistent for him this season. Babou has been doing quads and triple axels for years and years now so that has obviously played a role in how he can own both now. Javi seems to finally have the 3a, 4t, and 4s consistent, but last season he had a lot of issues with 3a.

So I don't doubt Jason is capable of doing a quad, but I'm not sure if it's realistic to hope he'll suddenly be consistent with both the 3a and whatever quad he develops in the very near future, just because usually it doesn't work that way. Jason pretty much always skated clean last season, then we saw that no longer was the case once he added the 3a this season. I think Josh has been training the 4t since he was like 15, and now at 18 he's still only landed it in competition once. Hanyu too I think had 4t at an absurdly young age but again it took awhile to secure.

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
To "silverlake"--Wow, i don't know how you can think Miner is boring...have you seen his short program?? I watched him in Omaha at nationals and the crowd immediately perked up when he started to skate. And that was AFTER Abbott's performance! He skates so fast, has brilliant edges and really plays to the crowd with his footwork sequences. As for Dornbush, I enjoy his skating technically but he is sort of a snooze fest...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To "silverlake"--Wow, i don't know how you can think Miner is boring...have you seen his short program?? I watched him in Omaha at nationals and the crowd immediately perked up when he started to skate. And that was AFTER Abbott's performance! He skates so fast, has brilliant edges and really plays to the crowd with his footwork sequences. As for Dornbush, I enjoy his skating technically but he is sort of a snooze fest...

In fairness, I could have skated after Abbott and perked up the crowd.:laugh: