World Team Trophy Entries | Page 9 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy Entries

deedee1

Record Breaker
But are you attending all the competitions? Lucky you! Cheer for Akiko, she really needs a good competition to redeem herself!

Thanks. I wasn't so intereted in going first, rather wanting to save my money for next season's J-Nats and Worlds. At the same time, however, I wasn't so sure if I ever get those tickets. Because it's just crazily hard to get tickets here these days as Let's talk explains the above. You may not believe it but it's much easier for skating fans in Japan to buy tickets for GPF and Worlds held outside of Japan than, say, tickets for an NHK Trophy where either Mao or Dai, or both are to participate. It's just rediculous but true. :slink: If so, this WTT may be very likely the last chance for me to see my favorite skaters who intend to retire from competitive skating after 2013-14 season. I naturally changed my mind and decided going, in order to sort of let myself get ready for that (getting no tickets I want next season). :sarcasm: I will be going except Day 4 (Gala). And gotcha to cheer for Akiko for you! :)

I will. It took me about 20 minutes to finally get in the system-overloaded-try-again-later ticket machine (internet becomes even less reliable in such cases) to get the tickets I wanted on the first day of sales at 10:00am sharp (in pre-sales there were only second-bowl tickets where I don't want to sit). At around lunch time the tickets in the upper bowl were left only. Of course they are gone now too, especially for the weekend. Maybe on Thur and Fri there are some tickets left somewhere under the ceiling, or may be not. Everybody knows that it's the last WTT for two mega stars Dai and Mao, and btw the first one where they both will skate. So the house will be full.

I was very lucky to get the last minute tickets for Day 3 (Saturday and Ladies Free) only two days ago. The furtherst seats from the rink, literally sticking to the ceiling, though. :laugh: For almost 1 week I had to check and re-check those websites, right at the 00 minute of every hour in the morning, for re-sale of remaining tickets.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:party2: deedee1 & let's talk! Please have a great time, and come back & tell us all about it! The WTT looks like such a fun competition with the silly hats & team spirit award; like no other competition else really.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:party2: deedee1 & let's talk! Please have a great time, and come back & tell us all about it! The WTT looks like such a fun competition with the silly hats & team spirit award; like no other competition else really.

Hah, I agree. It's a great way to unwind after a tense Worlds and an opportunity for many skaters to "redeem" themselves... Akiko, Chan, Kovtun, Abbott... or further boost their stock in the judges' eyes as with Duhamel/Radford, Li, Reynolds and Gold.

LRK

Record Breaker
Is there any au courant list of entries? I must confess to be utterly confused at this point as to what skaters have WDn, which have replaced them and which are still "in"...

By the way, will we be discussing the competition here - or will there be a specific sub forum?

Any information gratefully received. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is there any au courant list of entries? I must confess to be utterly confused at this point as to what skaters have WDn, which have replaced them and which are still "in"...

By the way, will we be discussing the competition here - or will there be a specific sub forum?

Any information gratefully received. :)

The ISU's official entry lists for WTT are here:

• Last update for Team Russia was on Thu Apr 4.
  • Last update for Team China was on Tue Apr 2.
  • Last updates for other teams were on Mon Mar 25.

• ETA, I have just gone back to check again as of Fri, and the last update for Team France now is from Apr 5.

The ISU seems to be making an effort to keep its official lists current. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada deserves to win this. They sent their best (minus V&M).

Well, except for D/W, Team USA also sent their best... pretty much... not sure if that's saying a whole lot...

Actually, considering all the substitutions, USA has a fairly decent shot.

USA should be possible "podium" in all four disciplines.

Every team other than Canada and US has some real placement problems in one event or another. Although I think Canada has the overall superior team, USA is likely to make up some serious ground against them in ladies singles. The reverse is true in men's singles.

Of course, anything can happen. That's what makes it worth watching.

Edit: OK, I don't think Abbott is the second best US man, but he's reasonably close enough.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Canada deserves to win this. They sent their best (minus V&M).

But that makes it sound as if the other teams didn't send some of their better skaters deliberatly.
Who's missing in team Japan to be their best? Hanyu? Please no. That kid has more than one injury to heal, and despite the fact he pulled it together in the FS, this kind of injuries are always a risk and he might skate far, far from his potential. Mura was still 8th at worlds, and he's healthy. It isn't far fetched to say he'll do Team Japan more of a favor than a recovering Hanyu does.
Kanako? Well yes, she beat Akiko at Worlds and Nats, But Akiko won at 4CC. Akiko is inconsistent, but I'd say she still has at least the same scroing potential as Kanako and isn't a weaker team member.

America is they're best minus D/W. But hey, V/M aren't there either, so I guess no prpblem with that.

Russia? As far as we know, B/S and I/K declined because of injury. (Contrasting to V/M, who just don't want to go, I take it?). Except from that, it's they're strongest team too. And V/T are going. For what, if not for a chance to medal?

The other two teams are a little bit out of the running though... but Canada doesn't deserve to win just because of their entries. They deserve to win when all their supossedly strongest entries actually deliver ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There has been no public explanation of why V&M and D&W didn't go. D&W were talking about looking forward to WTT, then V&M said they weren't going & were going back to Canton to work on their Olympic programs, then suddenly D&W weren't going.

My guess is that D&W don't want to be caught napping at WTT while V&M get ahead in training. About V&M, AFAIR, they didn't like the WTT event in any case.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
News clip on Menshov's preparation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHll2hFCO0M He says he feels well and in a good mood to compete. All this Menshov-Kovtun rivary is what journalists need. Skaters need to skate.

My respect for Menshov as a person is just through the roof this season. He has carried himself admirably, fairly and sportsmanlike through the whole drama when it must be killing him inside.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Menshov does look to be in great shape. I am looking forward to seeing him compete.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
My respect for Menshov as a person is just through the roof this season. He has carried himself admirably, fairly and sportsmanlike through the whole drama when it must be killing him inside.

This!

let`s talk

Match Penalty

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
Still sad that Abbott is going instead of Miner. I know, I know, Ross has had troubles last two competitions, but I still see Ross making improvements and LOVE his programs and the way he muscles through his elements. All I can say is Abbott better get his quad fixed...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
WTT team captains, per Tatjana Flade @Tatjana21:

• CAN - P. Chan
  • CHN - H. Zhang
  • FRA - V. James (no longer B. Joubert)
  • JPN - D. Takahashi
  • RUS - M. Trankov
  • USA - A. Wagner

I look forward to the ladies the most. I suppose Asada, Suzuki and Wagner may comprise the podium, but which one of Li, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Osmond and Gold will seize the day?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I want to see how Chock & Bates match up again against Weaver & Poje. The short training time that W&P have had since Worlds should mean they are in better shape than they were there, but when I checked back to the Worlds scores, I was surprised to see that C&B were only a little over 2 points behind W&P.

5 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 166.20 6 5
6 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA 165.60 4 7
7 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 163.93 7 6

Last edited: