Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should/will Ashley Wagner Retire after the Olympics?

Hybrid View

On the Ice

Should/will Ashley Wagner Retire after the Olympics?

Even though this is her break-out year, I don't know how much higher up the placement she will get. I really do respect her attitude, but once she gets to the Olympics (which is pretty solid unless she gets injured), I don't know what else she could accomplish after that. My only doubt is that skaters are retiring later and later these days, which I like, but it certainly is tough contending with the newcomers.

There are two possibilities in my opinion:
    -this off-season she works hard on 3-3 and 2A+3T and she lands them consistently next season, so she can be a medal contender in Sochi;
    -she remains at this season's level (between 4th and 6th in the world).
    If the first possibility becomes real, she should stay after Sochi because, with Yu-Na and Caro (and probably Mao) retiring, she could become even WC, if the second will (likely) become real, she should go to the Olympics, enjoy it and then retire...

Banned
    I think she will stay 1 or 2 more years regardless and retire either after the 2015 or 2016 Worlds. Regardless if she improves technically or not with all the retirements she will atleast have a fighting shot at a medal at the 2015, and maybe 2014 (depending who goes) and 2016 (if she stays until then) Worlds. I dont think anyway she stays until 2018.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I think she will stay 1 or 2 more years regardless and retire either after the 2015 or 2016 Worlds. Regardless if she improves technically or not with all the retirements she will atleast have a fighting shot at a medal at the 2015, and maybe 2014 (depending who goes) and 2016 (if she stays until then) Worlds. I dont think anyway she stays until 2018.
    You are right. I really love Gracie and cannot wait for the day when she becomes the No.1 lady of the U.S. It is really just a matter of time.
    And if Wagner is beaten more than once by Gracie, no matter what happens in the rest of the world, I don't see the point she does not retire. In fact, it is a shame that she does not have 3-3 and 2A-3 in her package, and she remains to be the US champion.

Custom Title
    Can I ask a question: Isn't it possible that Wagner and Gracie won't be the top 3 at the next nationals and either of them qualifies for the Olympics? It seems everyone talks as if Wagner is definitely going to the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Can I ask a question: Isn't it possible that Wagner and Gracie won't be the top 3 at the next nationals and either of them qualifies for the Olympics? It seems everyone talks as if Wagner is definitely going to the Olympics.
    Wagner is still the top American, perhaps by a small margin but she's clearly #1. Gracie has yet to skate clean enough to overtake her, and Ashley is relatively more consistent. I can see Gracie possibly overtaking Ashley next season, but three would have to surpass her and I don't see that happening so it's pretty safe she'll be an Olympian. However, I think only Gracie is potentially a medal threat because she has the content and GOE on the jumps to score well enough, and maybe over the summer she can develop more artistically to earn higher PCS.

If they are both healthy, there is very little chance that either will be surpassed in the US...a clean Gold with her CURRENT PCS that she received at Worlds *could* challenge for a medal internationally at Worlds/Olympics (she gave up ~10-15 points on TES with the errors she made between the two programs between BVs and GOEs) and now that she's starting to "figure it out" competitively (how to channel the nerves and shut out the distractions), with her technique, she's going to be hard to surpass. Clean at her current PCS (which should increase as she finds her "voice" presentation-wise and choreographically), she would likely score ~65-68 in the SP and 130-5 in the LP. That's a pretty high score.

Wagner is well-respected internationally now (63+ PCS skating tentatively with a fall in your step sequence? Alrighty...) and has become very consistent under John Nicks technically. With the erratic nature of most of the current top US ladies, one might surpass her at Nationals if she plays it safe, but not two...

Custom Title
    Wagner could have trouble holding off Gracie next season. Gracie has beaten her in the LP two straight times now. If Gold starts skating clean programs Wagner will be in trouble with no 3-3 combo. At the very least she needs to start doing the 2A+3T. Why didn't she do at least 2axel3toe jump this season? It was obvious at Worlds that you have to do a 3-3 now and Ashley not doing one really stood out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Wagner could have trouble holding off Gracie next season. Gracie has beaten her in the LP two straight times now. If Gold starts skating clean programs Wagner will be in trouble with no 3-3 combo. At the very least she needs to start doing the 2A+3T. Why didn't she do at least 2axel3toe jump this season? It was obvious at Worlds that you have to do a 3-3 now and Ashley not doing one really stood out.
    I think Ashley will work super hard on both 3-3 combos and mastering the 2 axel-3 toe combo in the off season. She will also work on her spin levels, and continuing to improve her PCS. Whether she is successful will be another question entirely.

Custom Title
    She's been talking about that 3x3 for how long? Let's get real. She is a second tier skater. Never going to challenge anyone. Can't believe people thought she would win world just 2 months ago.

The real problem is her TES is never good. She is not a jumping Phenom turned artist on ice like the podium finishers this year. She was just meh her entire competitive career.

Banned
    Earlier this season, I laughed loudly when folks touted her as a serious gold medal contender. Yes, she did have some success at the GP events by being 'consistent' and 'watering down' the technical content. But based on rational analysis, you could see her technical deficiency was just too much to overcome. She has no 3+3, no 2a+3t while 8 or 10 women these days can consistently land them. Her 'new' strategy seemed to be working for a while and that deluded her and her coach. The truth is that she was lucky in sneaking into the last group after the sp w/o at least a 3t+3t. There is no chance she can be competitive without increasing the technical difficulty.
    Her coaching team keeps on postponing that, which makes it impossible to be a contender.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    She's been talking about that 3x3 for how long? Let's get real. She is a second tier skater. Never going to challenge anyone. Can't believe people thought she would win world just 2 months ago.

The real problem is her TES is never good. She is not a jumping Phenom turned artist on ice like the podium finishers this year. She was just meh her entire competitive career.
    Wow Flatfan! Why are you so hateful? Frankly I think Ashley has come a long way especialy artisticaly. But I think Gold is the furture for the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Why didn't she do at least 2axel3toe jump this season? It was obvious at Worlds that you have to do a 3-3 now and Ashley not doing one really stood out.
    She tried it at Worlds, but it was UR and two-footed, she's not even close to it, she has to work a lot if she wants to land a decent 2A+3T... Last season's 3-3 attempts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_u2lg30_UM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTi2Oe13u6c) were pretty good, I thought that she was going to hit it this season but she proved my wrong, I just hope next season she improves somehow, she talked so much about the 3-3 this season but never landed it...

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    She tried it at Worlds, but it was UR and two-footed, she's not even close to it, she has to work a lot if she wants to land a decent 2A+3T... Last season's 3-3 attempts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_u2lg30_UM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTi2Oe13u6c) were pretty good, I thought that she was going to hit it this season but she proved my wrong, I just hope next season she improves somehow, she talked so much about the 3-3 this season but never landed it...
    I think she sacrificed harder jump combos for consistency for the whole first half of the season and then couldn't get them back in time. The injury probably didn't help with that. If I were advising her and she gave a crap what I have to say I'd tell her she has to start training those combos now for next season and doing them in the GP too if she wants to push beyond where she is now. As she is only a good jumper to begin with (I'd say she is better than just average n ow that she's gotten rid of the 2-foots more or less) I think if she waits any longer chances are she will never be able to get them back for a major competition.

Of course, she doesn't give a crap what I have to say, and even if she doesn't add them I think she can hang out between 4th and 6th if she lands everything. Judges really like her now and she's come a long way artistically.

On the Ice
    Her lack of 3x3 or 2Ax3 is why I'm worried about her. I don't quite see her in the same situation as Leonova or Nagasu, both of whom were sort of dumped this season, but if you can't produce the results, I do think it's very difficult to keep going, especially in a big skating country. I do think she can improve even more and work on her components. SHE NEEDS A NEW CHOREOGRAPHER. But, I do hope she stay to after the Olympics and see what happens. Look at what Caro has been able to achieve after everyone thought she'd retire after 2010 Olympics. I wish her the best nonetheless though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast