Tips/Tricks -- geting tickets | Golden Skate

Tips/Tricks -- geting tickets

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm really thinking about going to nationals next year...

1. whats the last "best" date to get good tickets?
2. What's the average cost (I'll have free round trip airfare and a place to stay and eat so basically all I'll be needing to pay for are the tickets)
3. anything else would be helpful LOL I've never been to a major competition before!

pairsfan

On the Ice
Here are the prices:

https://tickets.blazers.com/portland2005/tickets.asp

They went on sale months ago so there may not be any great seats left. It looks like you won't be able to find out what seats are available until the tickets are mailed to you. To get the best seats you should probably check out skating message boards and get them from someone who ordered when they first went on sale and is now unable to attend.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think pairsfan's advice is great. I hurt my back just before Dallas and was unable to fly :(, and I ended up sending my tickets to a friend who lives there, and asking him to give them away. But most people know a little bit before the day before they're supposed to fly that they won't be able to make it.

If you do buy a full ticket, my advice is to introduce yourself to the people around you in your section -- you're going to see a lot of them over the week :). I met wonderful people in my section at Worlds in DC last year.

It's great that you have a place to stay in Portland. It's a really nice city, there's good public transportation and great shopping, and there's no sales tax in Oregon!

Toni - I'm a big fan of the city, Portland. I've been there twice and I will probably be a Nats next year too. In my case, I usually go with an organized group. the addvantages is you can book with them until their quota of reservations are full. So even then, you have to be careful. the other advantage is you get good seats because the tour organizers have already arranged that. Since you would not be utilizing the tour's hotel, they may not accept your reseervation. Also it can be pricy as compared to doing it by oneself. Biggest advantage is the good seat.

I would suggest you get into the website which pairsfan said and book now and request a map of the arena so as to make sure you got the seat you want. Then read on hockeyfan's advice about speaking with your neighbors in the arena. You'll have lots of attention and much fun at the Nats.

Joe

JOHIO2

Medalist
Toni,

You must be excited about next yrs nat'ls in Portland. Getting a chance to attend nationals is a big deal to us fs fans. And I am sure you will have a blast. Of course, we will all be expecting you to hone your photo-journalist skills by sending us LOTS of reports, right?

I got that chance when nationals were here in Cleveland in 2000. Be prepared to have lots of energy, and work on that endurance as there is so much to see. I especially enjoyed the chance to see the juniors and novice competitions. What a blast to see some of those youngsters now as senior competitors!

No matter where you sit, you'll enjoy yourself. But try to get the best seats you can, so those of us who can't get to the West Coast for the competition can at least hear first-hand and close-up how it went!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Nationals is awesome. Good luck with your tickets and I hope I get to see you in Portland Toni!!! :D

Lanie

On the Ice
Does anyone know about getting single event tickets, or is that impossible? I'm planning on going as an early birthday present from my mom, and we're checking into it..

Lanie - Check out the USFSA site. Somewhere in that web site there will be some news of the 2005 Nats. Single tickets do go on sale at a certain date after the all event tickets deadline is over. Don't worry they don't sell all the all events.

Joe

Last edited:

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
Tonichelle, If you haven't been to a comptetion before I would definitely recommend going even if you don't have "great" tickets. It's a wonderful experience.

First off, if you are going for the week, I'd recommend all event tickets. You get to see practices with them and they are fascinating. You get to see the skaters in a much less formal setting and can sit much closer to the rink. They typically dont sell practice passes separately. However, if you are only getting single event seats, you can often get into practice by volunteering at the event. That requires a significant time commitment, but is a great way to see the "inner workings" of a big event.

Even if your seats aren't too close you will still enjoy it. During the early events, you may be able to move into an empty seat, but even if you are higher up, seeing an event live is completely different from seeing it in person.

Definitely talk to the people around you or the people you meet at practices. Generally the people I've met have been very helpful and willing to explain things to me.

I'm sure if you bought your ticket now you could get a fine seat, but there often is an advantage to waiting and getting one from someone else so you know just where the seat is. I think you'll be able to get a perfectly fine seat whenever you order. Sometimes good seats open up closer to the event when sponsors release some. However, I wouldn't worry too much, youll have a blast wherever your seat is.

One other tip, be sure to get sleep before you come! There's not a lot of sleep during Nationals.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Great advice, Gardenkitty! Tonichelle, I hope you get to go. Then you'll be an addict too! LOL! I attended just the ladies freeskate at the 2004 Nationals and the experience was incredible. I bought two single event tickets in September (at Ticketmaster) and got wonderful seats, but I'm not sure how they are doing things for Portland.

Also, is anyone going to St. Louis in 2006? LOL...I know, a little early to be planning, but my experience in Atlanta was so thrilling that I'm determined to go!