Is Zijun Li ready to skate with the big girls? | Golden Skate

Is Zijun Li ready to skate with the big girls?

sweetskates1

Medalist
I still think that the there are at least seven other ladies that have better skills and programs than her, so no.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She is adorabales! LOVE her joy ...it's very obvious she loves being out there.

I agree with comments people made elsewhere that she needs to project herself more -- she's has lovely arms but she should use more of her upper body --- That is a strength of Adelina's.

Probably some more speed would be nice as well.

But she has a great foundation. Good technique, nice big jumps and lovely musicality. The British Eurosport guys were eating her up!

cheerio2

On the Ice
Yes! I think her programs are beautiful. She's got the technical goods. Totally lowballed in the LP. She had a totally clean, spectacular 7 triple skate with a 3F-3T and 2A-3T, she had good interpretation, but got something like 125? That was laughably low.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Probably not with the current crop of top ladies (Kim, Kostner, Asada). But after Sochi, I think she could become a huge star alongside Osmond, Gold, and the Russians.

guanchi

On the Ice
Here is her worlds LP. (Please somebody tell me the aspect ratio is off in this Eurosport video. She's nt that slim, right?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCSsAdtaxQ

What does she need to do to become a factor next year? More speed maybe?[/QUOTE]

Now why did I click on that link- just got 5 cavities just watching her:)

She is the sweetest thing, but she needs some wings, more power, give her Redbull ASAP:yay:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Here is her worlds LP. (Please somebody tell me the aspect ratio is off in this Eurosport video. She's nt that slim, right?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCSsAdtaxQ

What does she need to do to become a factor next year? More speed maybe?

Now why did I click on that link- just got 5 cavities just watching her:)

She is the sweetest thing, but she needs some wings, more power, give her Redbull ASAP:yay:[/QUOTE]

Lol she's obviously slim, but for a figure skater, I don't think it's verging into danger territory as of now. Some girls are just built that way :)

I agree, what she needs is more power or else she'll be stuck w/pretty princess programs. Not to say that there's anything inherently wrong w/them, but greater power and projection would allow for not only more variety in programs, but also higher PC's. One thing that has struck me in people's live reports of Carolina and Yu-na is how both skaters have strong on-ice presence that just draws your eye and keeps you captivated, mistakes or not.

Colanboy

Rinkside
Lol she's obviously slim, but for a figure skater, I don't think it's verging into danger territory as of now. Some girls are just built that way :)

I agree, what she needs is more power or else she'll be stuck w/pretty princess programs. Not to say that there's anything inherently wrong w/them, but greater power and projection would allow for not only more variety in programs, but also higher PC's. One thing that has struck me in people's live reports of Carolina and Yu-na is how both skaters have strong on-ice presence that just draws your eye and keeps you captivated, mistakes or not.

It's true. The ladies free program was my first time watching Mao, Carolina and Yuna live and Carolina and Yuna just project to the audience and draw you in. I had high hopes for Mao, but she doesn't command your attention in the same way.

Icey

Record Breaker
I suspect she will be by the time Sochi arrives. Every skater that age is missing something, but, barring injury or a growth spurt, I think she will get there. She makes it look so effortless. And she has a wonderful coach. She is magical imo. This program and music was age appropriate for her. Unlike some here, I was drawn in. She has the technique
down pat. Now she can concentrate on other things.

Kuan

Final Flight
She surely will place in the top 10 at Sochi. But my wish is a top 5 placement for her. To podium will be extremely difficult. Hope she improves on pcs-site during off-season, then she has a real chance.

Here is a cute foto taken last summer with her figureskating idol. :eek::

http://d1i45kki000yqu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/yuna-kim-and-li-zijun.jpg

She once said in an interview that she is striving to become a strong skater like Yuna. Both such nice personalities!

babyalligator

On the Ice
I certainly hope so. She's such a charming girl and the potential is there. She's very strong for someone so slight. She does of course have much room to grow and mature. I look forward to seeing her progress.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the next Lu Chen
a future World Champion

never left my eyes off Zijun since she won JGP Final bronze

Robeye

Final Flight
If the technical barrage she displayed at WCs was not a fluke, she's there now.

However, as achingly charming as I found her (both in the competitive programs as well as the gala), my gut reaction was that her PCS qualities, in many dimensions, was still unripe. This goes both for the "technical" aspects of PCS (eg skating skills) as well as the "artistic" aspects. With regard to the latter, the impression she left me with was a bit like what I felt watching a young Haley Joel Osmont or Dakota Fanning: the performance was a tremendous tour de force, but the seeming depth and wisdom of the performance seems to be in miniature, and is necessarily somewhat simulated, that is to say, precocious, and not quite genuine in the adult vein.

I've got a niece like that; she tries her best to wrap me around her finger, and it works unnervingly often even when I know it's coming.

Given all the pitfalls she's going to have to overcome to emerge as an authentic Seniors superstar, I want to be somewhat cautious, but I will admit that I harbor genuine hopes for her.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
My goodness, this girl is as cute as a button!

ITA. I just want to grab both of her cheeks and pinch them, without sounding like a pervert. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

She is tiny so everything she does seem like a small scale. She needs to grows a bit more and generate more power in her skating. But she has a solid foundation in jumps and spins, so all she needs is a good team, coach and right management, aka like Yuna.

However, as achingly charming as I found her (both in the competitive programs as well as the gala), my gut reaction was that her PCS qualities, in many dimensions, was still unripe. This goes both for the "technical" aspects of PCS (eg skating skills) as well as the "artistic" aspects. With regard to the latter, the impression she left me with was a bit like what I felt watching a young Haley Joel Osmont or Dakota Fanning: the performance was a tremendous tour de force, but the seeming depth and wisdom of the performance seems to be in miniature, and is necessarily somewhat simulated, that is to say, precocious, and not quite genuine in the adult vein.

May I copy that paragraph in to my next research paper? However, as achingly charming as I found Einstein's Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper...

I am such a Philistine. I had to look up both Haley Joel Osmont and Dakota Fanning. :eek::

Cherryy

On the Ice
I thought she just showed that yes, she can compete with the big girls. She was 4th in the freeskate and 2nd in TES. Now that's a huge accomplishment for a 16-year-old at her first senior worlds. She performed a 7-triple program at both 4cc and worlds which would suggest worlds was not a fluke and she has the nerves under control. What I think helped her was that she wasn't considered a threat to anyone, nobody expected her to finish so high so she was somehow free of the pressure.
I also think there's no need to worry about her being so tiny. It's probably just her body type, she looks healthy and this type of built can only help her. I just hope she will survive growing period and won't lose her jumps. She may still work on SS and PCS in general but oh man, she's just so sweet I can't help but love her! (which is quite weird considering she's my age and I'm talking about her like a little kid :laugh:)

Robeye

Final Flight
May I copy that paragraph in to my next research paper? However, as achingly charming as I found Einstein's Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper...

I am such a Philistine. I had to look up both Haley Joel Osmont and Dakota Fanning. :eek::
I confess that I was forced to return the compliment of acknowledging my ignorance and googling your allusion. Zur Elektro wut? :laugh:

Ah, "The Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies"! Why didn't you say so in the first place? ;) So, do you think that this is the start of Zijun's annus mirabilis? My own view is that it might be a couple of years before we'll really know one way or the other whether she's the real deal.

(I give my permission with pleasure. I've heard tell that theoretical physicists actually have very lively senses of humor, contrary to common belief)