Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Figure skating is dying, and judges can't prop it up

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Absolutely...where are all the yuna ubers...seems like hundreds were everywhere 3 years ago. Yuna herself didn't seem all that thrilled. Yes it is ethnocentric...that is the point. CANADA! LAND OF WINTER SPORTS ESP HOCKEY/FS! They have Chan, Osmond, Virtue Moir GOOD PAIR TEAMS! dumb cap key. Anyway, 7,000 is very small. Ten years ago CSOI I'm sure could sell that easily.

The scoring may be producing some interesting skaters but clearly it's an issue for 6.0 fans of many years. Not televising it is crazy here in US. I looked but found nom NBC coverage, but I'm away so, maybe I missed it? I found nothing on NBC website. Anyone know if next weekend there will be some coverage? At least gold medal ice dancers? It is dreadful...can't grow new fans without TV coverage.
    Right. Too bad USFSA went down to the crossroads and sold its soul to the devil (Universal). Short term greed for a long-term decline in the sport. It's not the only reason the sport is dying here in the US, but it's a significant one.

I mean, are there NO successful business and marketing professionals working for USFSA?! Broadcast the major competitions for free!! Promote the heck out of the skaters - get them out on the talk show circuits! In fashion magazines! Gracie Gold is made for US media with her youth, All-American beauty, athleticism and soaring success!!!

Banned
    Absolutely...where are all the yuna ubers...seems like hundreds were everywhere 3 years ago. Yuna herself didn't seem all that thrilled. .
    You're absolutely right. Yuna ubers used to be atrocious on various forums. They're now gone. I don't even think South Korean media hyped this event that much. It is dying in South Korea as well. Japan might be the next. China? Never popular there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    You're absolutely right. Yuna ubers used to be atrocious on various forums. They're now gone. I don't even think South Korean media hyped this event that much. It is dying in South Korea as well. Japan might be the next. China? Never popular there.
    You're living in your own imaginary world.

~high art~
    That must be why Ladies free skate scored ratings of close to 20% in SK in Sunday morning, and Yuna is still a mega-popular celebrity there who's earning tens of millions of dollars every year with her endorsements.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    There is definitely something wrong with the branding....I'm guessing the ISU has no marketing team or what they do have lacks any sense of ingenuity.
    Ottavio Cinquanta is a trained accountant - so it's not hard to see why he developed and pushed through something like COP. I wonder if he solicited any input from any sales, marketing or PR people. Doubtful. During Salt Lake in 2002, the real problem was revealed to be the Federations working behind the scenes trading votes for their respective skaters, something which probably still happens today. It wasn't the 6.0 judging system that was at fault - it was (and is) the corruption of ISU member federations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    That must be why Ladies free skate scored ratings of close to 20% in SK in Sunday morning, and Yuna is still a mega-popular celebrity there who's earning tens of millions of dollars every year with her endorsements.
    No offense to SK, but all this means is that Yu Na is a big fish in a small pond. It has no meaning for the future of figure skating.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangogirl View Post
    Just because the arena isn't filled to capacity doesn't mean people aren't watching, I watched most of it on live feed, so much more convenient. BTW a friend of mine took pictures of the event on Friday and the place looked pretty darn full.

I never bother with the gala, slightly more exciting than your average club carnival. Most skaters don't have a lot of time or energy to put into their show choreography and it shows. Not sure what kind of ratings it gets, suspect that the audience is not hard core skating fans but rather the general public looking for some nice family friendly entertainment.
    I was there and the place was full most of the time ! I don't understand why people pass on information that is wrong !!!

Custom Title
    A few points:
    Interesting that Cinquanta didn't come. There must be a story behind that.
    As for the rink being not quite full: you have to remember that an all-event ticket was nearly $1500.00. For a family of four that's $6.000.00 + hotel, food, travel, etc. I think a near capacity crowd at that price shows pretty good interest IMHO.
    The Canadian television coverage was first rate. All events, every skater plus the warm ups, as well as feature stories.
    Skating always benefits when there is an American star. I think that Gracie Gold has that potential down the road.
    The Canadian fans love Yuna, but didn't come to the competition specifically to see her.

Gracie and Osmond make a ready for prime time rivarly. They are so wonderful. Now NBC needs to exploit them with Cop knowledgeable commentators, or bring back Button. And if the feirce 5 are everywhere, then get their marketers on board. USFSA has blown it. And MK is now able to skate again. She should do what USFSA did for her-----promote the sport Ms Favorite Kwan. She has time and money. She benefitted from the whack more than any skater in the world. You'd think the huge stars would care.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmtech1 View Post
    I was there and the place was full most of the time ! I don't understand why people pass on information that is wrong !!!
    It's a very small arena of 7,000 seats.

Banned
    Gracie and Osmond make a ready for prime time rivarly. They are so wonderful. Now NBC needs to exploit them with Cop knowledgeable commentators, or bring back Button. And if the feirce 5 are everywhere, then get their marketers on board. USFSA has blown it. And MK is now able to skate again. She should do what USFSA did for her-----promote the sport Ms Favorite Kwan. She has time and money. She benefitted from the whack more than any skater in the world. You'd think the huge stars would care.
    Osmond? Constant fall in her LP is not made for prime time.

Michelle has moved on. She did a lot for U.S. figure skating; U.S. figure skating did a lot for her. Even-steven. The real world beckons. Time to let her go.

Custom Title
    Button is mutually exclusive to cop knowledge! Like he may see what is a level 4 spin and call it very bad and horrible and not explain anything leaving the impression that it should get zero points or noncredit

Dick Button doesn't give a rusty hoot about the CoP. He knows what good skating is.

Osmond? Constant fall in her LP is not made for prime time.
    She is a star, everyone loves her. Her LP feels like 4 mins not 4 hours like most. I love her-lucky Canada!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast