Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dancing With The Stars-GO Dorothy!

Custom Title
    I think that poster probably meant Jacoby Jones, the football player.

My feelings about Dorothy's dances: her first one, the contemporary one, clearly showed talent and musicality, whereas Lisa is stiff and still a bit clueless. Dorothy's second dance was hampered by her injury. Additionally, a large proportion of a celebrity's longevity comes from popularity. You know that skate fans voted for Dorothy! Ah, well; it was not to be.

Skaters do have a little edge coming in. They know how to fill space with movement, and they are used to taking choreography.

Sad that Dorothy couldn't continue. At the same time, her struggles made me appreciate all the more what Kristi was able to put out there in her season. Kristi had such quick and precise feet!

aw i havnt seen it with the mess but the one dance I saw was good. very disappointing. i'll bet on Aly based on one dance i saw.

Custom Title
    Yippee! Dorothy isn't dancing, but she's sitting happily in the audience, right next to Kristi!

I've watched the whole show. Zendaya and Kellie Pickler get better and better, and Aly Raisman remains good. In fact, Aly is improving. Mark is such a good coach as well as a brilliant choreographer.

Jacoby Jones is charming. He really moves beautifully, much more fluidly than most athletes from team sports. (I think Donald Driver, for instance, was rather stiff-spined.) And is he funny in conversations! I just love listening to him.

I feel sorry for Wynonna Judd. She is so stiff. She makes me realize how good Kirstie Alley really was. Kirstie was no sylph, but she was somehow able to throw herself into the movement. She was both light on her feet and flexible. She gave it everything she had. For whatever reason, Wynonna can't do that. I'm sure her fans will carry her through for awhile, though.

Custom Title
    Sorry, I did mean Jacoby Jones, not January Jones (too many "j's". Yes Kellie (who was undermarked tonight) and Zendaya are exellent. Wynonna Judd is just too heavy, especially in the midriff, that belly of hers is why she can barely move. Aly gained a good 20 lbs from her gymnast days and has to get back in shape, which hopefully she will if she can last another month, but she just doesn't have enough of a sparkling personality to win and she's not as good a natural dancer as Kellie or Zendaya.

Custom Title
    I think that Mark Ballas is very protective of his dancers and a great teacher, so if Aly can survive, she can pick up a lot of steam. She clearly has the discipline and the motivation, and as you say, she'll probably lose weight during this time, as many of the other celebrities have, notably Kirstie. But you're right that her personality just doesn't project the way Shawn Johnson's did. That kid was gold! Maybe Aly will loosen up in that direction too, with Mark's coaching. He's clearly one of the best coaches there, and like Derek, he's brilliant at choreographing to show off his partner's strengths.

For my money, it's Zendaya, Kellie, and Jacoby J. But I'd like Aly to step it up because I'm always happy when someone who doesn't have that supposedly ideal body type (sylphlike, with long limbs) does well. It widens the meaning of beauty in dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think that Mark Ballas is very protective of his dancers and a great teacher, so if Aly can survive, she can pick up a lot of steam. She clearly has the discipline and the motivation, and as you say, she'll probably lose weight during this time, as many of the other celebrities have, notably Kirstie. But you're right that her personality just doesn't project the way Shawn Johnson's did. That kid was gold! Maybe Aly will loosen up in that direction too, with Mark's coaching. He's clearly one of the best coaches there, and like Derek, he's brilliant at choreographing to show off his partner's strengths.

For my money, it's Zendaya, Kellie, and Jacoby J. But I'd like Aly to step it up because I'm always happy when someone who doesn't have that supposedly ideal body type (sylphlike, with long limbs) does well. It widens the meaning of beauty in dance.
    Both Mark and Derek and Julianne were trained by Mark's parents; so, they would have similar skills.

I agree with your current picks for Top 3 at this point. It's hard not to pick Jacoby as winner since football players do well on the show (as well as being able to dance and fun to watch) and Zendaya and Kellie don't have as large a 'default' fan base.

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying the addition of contemporary to the show. Is it really necessary when there are so many different ballroom dances? It's like DWTS is turning into The Stars THink they Can Dance. Edited to add: I have enjoyed the contemporary routines, but I expect DWTS to be ballroom. Contemporary generally gives an edge to performers. I can't imagine Wynonna letting herself go enough to emote.

Custom Title
    Yes, I often think of the Ballas parents. Corky and Shirley, is it? It can't be coincidence that Derek and Mark, who grew up in the same household for so many years, are probably the two best choreographers on the show. Either it's the parents' training or whatever dance schools the boys attended in London. I remember that Julianne was also a good choreographer, but she wasn't there long enough for us to see how varied her imagination might be. Of course, she did have two winners.

Custom Title
    Well, Wynonna is gone tonight. Glad that Gleb is hanging on for another week. Read his bio, apparently he has a degree in choreo from Moscow. He's fun to watch.

Custom Title
    I do like Gleb. We don't have much chance to see his choreography yet, but I'm sure they'll give him other assignments in the seasons to come. I was working on a task while watching last night, so I didn't see him in any of the extra dancing, but they'll probably make use of him throughout the season even if his partner goes home.

I'm sorry to see Wynonna (and Tony!) leave. I always hate to see everyone leave, because it's fun to watch them improve. I guess Kellie Pickler will get all the country music vote now.

Hey, Max fans.... he's making a guest appearance on General Hospital's Nurses Ball/50th Anniversary.

Here's a clip of Max in the Magic Milo number http://vimeo.com/63607922

and also dancing with Kelly Monaco http://www.welovesoaps.net/2013/04/m...rses-ball.html

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Thanks heyang, I didn't think I was going to enjoy this season without Maks but Gleb is a good replacement.

I think Aly's coming out of her shell..... She definitely learned a lot from Whitney (BTW, she and pro Lindsay were BFF''s on last summer's So You THink You can Dance. Both were in the top 20 and were roommates. Lindsay was eliminated before Whitney.)

Custom Title
    It was so lovely watching tonight. I feared they would cancel the show, but they tastefully mentioned the events in Boston and went on anyway. I think we needed it as a consolation. Tom Bergeron has such a tactful way of mentioning everything, and to see the vitality of the dancers reminded me that our duty and privilege is to keep life going.

I really love this "copycat" format. It clearly helped the celebrities (as you say, Aly learned a lot), and it was fun for us to watch the "role models" to see the ideal of the dance. I loved the quickstep best. The pro pair were especially stunning.

Custom Title
    Have to agree with Olympia; it was good, much better than I thought it would be. Loved Jacoby's jive! What fun! And I loved Derek and Kellie's. But I was completely blown away by Zendaya/Val! Wow! When they said they had Argentine tango, I cringed and thought that it would be sleazy but it wasn't. Years ago I went to see a tango show and was amazed to see several different styles of Argentine tango. There was one that was quite capricious and fun and I was thinking that this would be the style for them to do. And they did! Great minds!
    It was interesting to see the celebs learning from the pros (especially of their own sex); you could see lightbulbs going on over their heads! This was a really good idea.
    The whole evening was well done and very tasteful, in light of Boston.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast