Dancing With The Stars-GO Dorothy! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dancing With The Stars-GO Dorothy!

Johar

Medalist
No Maks, no Anna and now no Tristian. BOO! Hope Dorothy has a good outcome to her scary medical problem.

KKonas

Medalist
But I was surprised that he was so out of shape two months after the super bowl that he couldn't hold his closing pose and was still gasping for air several minutes later when the scores were read. Come on you superbly conditioned athlete, if Kirsty Ally and Cloris Leachmen can get through a minute and a half of dancing, so can you. :)

Might have something to do with his knee surgery two months ago.

KKonas

Medalist
It is sad that Dorothy had to withdraw but a wise decision under the circumstances. As a dance fan (I also watch SYTYCD), I think Kellie Pickler has amazing flexibility and musical chops, January Jones, has surprising rhythm, and the 16-year old, Zendaya, should be the final 3, and Kellie should win. Aly, the gymnast is no Shawn Johnson but will hang on for awhile. I think the new pro Gleb is a hottie.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
After seeing two dances now, Kellie is amazing and I thought Aly improved from week one, though still has a bit of surprising lack of limberness or fluidity or something, given that she's a gymnast. But even as amazing as Kellie is, I still thought Zendaya was the best. I would love to see her go very far with this.

Sorry Dorothy wasn't able to continue. And sorry not to get to see Tristan a bit longer.

So distressing about Dorothy! It was odd that she withdrew at the end of the program rather than showing up at the beginning, but maybe they told her to be quiet about it until the last minute to keep up the suspense.

If they had announced Dorothy's withdrawal at the beginning there wouldn't have been a show.

It is sad that Dorothy had to withdraw but a wise decision under the circumstances. As a dance fan (I also watch SYTYCD), I think Kellie Pickler has amazing flexibility and musical chops, January Jones, has surprising rhythm, and the 16-year old, Zendaya, should be the final 3, and Kellie should win. Aly, the gymnast is no Shawn Johnson but will hang on for awhile. I think the new pro Gleb is a hottie.

Gleb is beyond hot! So handsome that new words will have to be coined to describe him. I'm glad you agree about Kellie Pickler. I love her extensions. And of course Zendaya is splendid.

Agreed that Aly is not the contestant Shawn is. I don't know why that is, whether she's less flexible or just uncomfortable expressing emotions. Seeing her makes one realize that it's not automatic that a gymnast will be outstanding at this. Shawn had a special ability to adapt, and perhaps more musicality, at least compared with Aly currently. It's entirely possible that Aly will improve. She has a huge advantage with Mark as her partner: not only is he one of the best choreographers, but he has experience partnering with and choreographing for a gymnast. Also, Shawn and Aly have a similar build, petite but muscular, so that a lot of what he learned for Shawn will give him a head start here.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Aly's general personality is a bit more reserved than Shawn Johnson's. SO, it might take her a couple of dances to get out of her shell.

Zendaya is definitely the best of the Disney kids to appear on DWTS. Disney definitely looks to develop triple threat talent - many of our favorites stars started on the Mickey Mouse Club (Justin Timberlake, Christina Augilera, Keri Russell, Britney Spears, etc.) Overall, they are all groomed to handle themselves well with some exceptions (Britney for a period, while Miley hasn't done anything 'bad', she's definitely looking for attention.) Hopefully, people will vote for her for a long time.

I was sad that Dorothy had to withdraw. They definitely asked her to wait til the end to make the announcement. I'm grateful that she bowed out for her own health and out of respect for the other contestants! Kudos to her!!!! Hopefully, they'll ask her to appear again when she's healthy.

I was hoping Lisa Vanderpump would go home...

heyang

Record Breaker
Is January Jones on the show???

Heyang, why Lisa?? I thought Dororthy just based on her dance would go home.

I thought the same thing - I don't think January Jones is on the show, but there are a lot of blondes that resemble her somewhat...

The elimination is seldom based upon dancing during the 1st week - otherwise, Master P and Billy Ray Cyrus would've gone home their 1st weeks. My pick was really based upon who was the official bottom 2 - Lisa/Gleb or Victor/Lindsay. I thought Lisa was the weaker dancer between the 2.

I think that poster probably meant Jacoby Jones, the football player.

My feelings about Dorothy's dances: her first one, the contemporary one, clearly showed talent and musicality, whereas Lisa is stiff and still a bit clueless. Dorothy's second dance was hampered by her injury. Additionally, a large proportion of a celebrity's longevity comes from popularity. You know that skate fans voted for Dorothy! Ah, well; it was not to be.

Skaters do have a little edge coming in. They know how to fill space with movement, and they are used to taking choreography.

Sad that Dorothy couldn't continue. At the same time, her struggles made me appreciate all the more what Kristi was able to put out there in her season. Kristi had such quick and precise feet!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
aw i havnt seen it with the mess but the one dance I saw was good. very disappointing. i'll bet on Aly based on one dance i saw.

Yippee! Dorothy isn't dancing, but she's sitting happily in the audience, right next to Kristi!

I've watched the whole show. Zendaya and Kellie Pickler get better and better, and Aly Raisman remains good. In fact, Aly is improving. Mark is such a good coach as well as a brilliant choreographer.

Jacoby Jones is charming. He really moves beautifully, much more fluidly than most athletes from team sports. (I think Donald Driver, for instance, was rather stiff-spined.) And is he funny in conversations! I just love listening to him.

I feel sorry for Wynonna Judd. She is so stiff. She makes me realize how good Kirstie Alley really was. Kirstie was no sylph, but she was somehow able to throw herself into the movement. She was both light on her feet and flexible. She gave it everything she had. For whatever reason, Wynonna can't do that. I'm sure her fans will carry her through for awhile, though.

KKonas

Medalist
Sorry, I did mean Jacoby Jones, not January Jones (too many "j's":). Yes Kellie (who was undermarked tonight) and Zendaya are exellent. Wynonna Judd is just too heavy, especially in the midriff, that belly of hers is why she can barely move. Aly gained a good 20 lbs from her gymnast days and has to get back in shape, which hopefully she will if she can last another month, but she just doesn't have enough of a sparkling personality to win and she's not as good a natural dancer as Kellie or Zendaya.

I think that Mark Ballas is very protective of his dancers and a great teacher, so if Aly can survive, she can pick up a lot of steam. She clearly has the discipline and the motivation, and as you say, she'll probably lose weight during this time, as many of the other celebrities have, notably Kirstie. But you're right that her personality just doesn't project the way Shawn Johnson's did. That kid was gold! Maybe Aly will loosen up in that direction too, with Mark's coaching. He's clearly one of the best coaches there, and like Derek, he's brilliant at choreographing to show off his partner's strengths.

For my money, it's Zendaya, Kellie, and Jacoby J. But I'd like Aly to step it up because I'm always happy when someone who doesn't have that supposedly ideal body type (sylphlike, with long limbs) does well. It widens the meaning of beauty in dance.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think that Mark Ballas is very protective of his dancers and a great teacher, so if Aly can survive, she can pick up a lot of steam. She clearly has the discipline and the motivation, and as you say, she'll probably lose weight during this time, as many of the other celebrities have, notably Kirstie. But you're right that her personality just doesn't project the way Shawn Johnson's did. That kid was gold! Maybe Aly will loosen up in that direction too, with Mark's coaching. He's clearly one of the best coaches there, and like Derek, he's brilliant at choreographing to show off his partner's strengths.

For my money, it's Zendaya, Kellie, and Jacoby J. But I'd like Aly to step it up because I'm always happy when someone who doesn't have that supposedly ideal body type (sylphlike, with long limbs) does well. It widens the meaning of beauty in dance.

Both Mark and Derek and Julianne were trained by Mark's parents; so, they would have similar skills.

I agree with your current picks for Top 3 at this point. It's hard not to pick Jacoby as winner since football players do well on the show (as well as being able to dance and fun to watch) and Zendaya and Kellie don't have as large a 'default' fan base.

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying the addition of contemporary to the show. Is it really necessary when there are so many different ballroom dances? It's like DWTS is turning into The Stars THink they Can Dance. Edited to add: I have enjoyed the contemporary routines, but I expect DWTS to be ballroom. Contemporary generally gives an edge to performers. I can't imagine Wynonna letting herself go enough to emote.

Yes, I often think of the Ballas parents. Corky and Shirley, is it? It can't be coincidence that Derek and Mark, who grew up in the same household for so many years, are probably the two best choreographers on the show. Either it's the parents' training or whatever dance schools the boys attended in London. I remember that Julianne was also a good choreographer, but she wasn't there long enough for us to see how varied her imagination might be. Of course, she did have two winners.

KKonas

Medalist
Well, Wynonna is gone tonight. Glad that Gleb is hanging on for another week. Read his bio, apparently he has a degree in choreo from Moscow. He's fun to watch.

I do like Gleb. We don't have much chance to see his choreography yet, but I'm sure they'll give him other assignments in the seasons to come. I was working on a task while watching last night, so I didn't see him in any of the extra dancing, but they'll probably make use of him throughout the season even if his partner goes home.

I'm sorry to see Wynonna (and Tony!) leave. I always hate to see everyone leave, because it's fun to watch them improve. I guess Kellie Pickler will get all the country music vote now.