Dancing With The Stars-GO Dorothy! | Golden Skate

Dancing With The Stars-GO Dorothy!

I missed the first ten minutes. Hope I didn't miss Dorothy! So far the boxer has been the best. And he seems like such a nice guy, too.

heyang

Record Breaker
I could definitely see the skater in Dorothy during her dance. I think it was a nice song for her, as well. Very neat and tidy - just as her skating is....

I got teary as she described how Kristi's performances on DWTS helped her get through her breast cancer treatments and it made me picture a little Kristi holding on to her Dorothy Hamill doll. Hope Kristi appears in the audience for Dorothy.

Go Dorothy!

Zendaya was the best (she's a third of Dorothy's age. ;) ), but Dorothy is tied for second. She was a lovely vision in lavender. :yes:

Len was too hard on Andy Dick. He wasn't bad at all.

E.L Hugley did the worst of any contestant since Master P. :laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could definitely see the skater in Dorothy during her dance.

I was surprised at Dorothy's dance....I thought she looked kind of stiff and at times it did look like she was skating. I was surprised at Aly too, I thought she would be better than she was.

Dorothy was wonderful. Notice that they didn't give her an easy dance like a waltz. She did contemporary! That's pretty challenging. I think she did a good job, though I agree that Zendaya was the best. I hope that Z. will get respect from voters; the Disney kids are always good and always get voted off too early.

It will be interesting to see what Aly Raisman will do. Seeing her makes one realize how good Shawn Johnson really was. Shawn mastered the transition between gymnastics power moves and the grace required for dance. Aly doesn't have that shift down pat yet. Also, I wish no one would wear those fringe dresses. I know the movement of the fringe is supposed to be graceful, but often it just makes the wearer look bulky, especially in day-glow colors.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I only watched tonight to see Dorothy, but managed to miss her. Who is her partner? Maybe I will tune in next week to see her. I always loved her skating.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I thought Dorothy did great loved her costume and attitude. She definitely has the posture and elegance for dance. I was not to crazy about the choreography
with the snow and all to me it was distraction.

Zendaya was like a breath of fresh air I really liked her.

D.L. Hughley just cracked me up, he needs a lot of practice. lol

I thought Aly had a lot of energy but not much connection to the dance.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Interesting. I only recognize 4 out of the 12 celebrities! I liked Pickler, Aly and Dorothy the best. I think the young one, Zendaya, is quite good but I was a little creeped out by the partner choice. After the Kelly Monaco thing, yuck! I think it would be better to pair her up with a young partner, maybe a SYTYCD person. That could be refreshing.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Go Dorothy!

Zendaya was the best (she's a third of Dorothy's age. ;) ), but Dorothy is tied for second. She was a lovely vision in lavender. :yes:

Len was too hard on Andy Dick. He wasn't bad at all.

Absolutely agree with everything you said. Zendaya was amazing. Andy was charming and not nearly as jerky as Len made it sound -- his choreo wasn't easy at all for the first week, either, but he stayed in synch quite well.

heyang

Record Breaker
Interesting. I only recognize 4 out of the 12 celebrities! I liked Pickler, Aly and Dorothy the best. I think the young one, Zendaya, is quite good but I was a little creeped out by the partner choice. After the Kelly Monaco thing, yuck! I think it would be better to pair her up with a young partner, maybe a SYTYCD person. That could be refreshing.

I don't think there are a lot of younger male ballroom dancers - the only SYTYCD ballroom top 20 I can recall are Pasha (from season 3) and Ryan from season 5(? - he was one of the older contestants.) Most of the SYTYCD males are contemporary or hip hop. So, they have a larger pool of young female ballroom dancers like Lacey, Chelsea Hightower and now Lindsay. I think both Pasha and Ryan are older than Val.

heyang

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see what Aly Raisman will do. Seeing her makes one realize how good Shawn Johnson really was. Shawn mastered the transition between gymnastics power moves and the grace required for dance. Aly doesn't have that shift down pat yet. Also, I wish no one would wear those fringe dresses. I know the movement of the fringe is supposed to be graceful, but often it just makes the wearer look bulky, especially in day-glow colors.

I agree that Aly will have to tough about being compared to Shawn. Same sport and same DWTS partner Mark Ballas. What also made her awkwards was that her confessionals seemed pre-written as compared to some of the others. I do think she has potential and just as to get into the zone.

heyang

Record Breaker

I'm not sure if I'd put DL Hughley above or below Billy Ray Cyrus. I agree that Master P was the worst, but he got some leeway the 1st week because he was a lost minute replacement for his son and therefore didn't have as much rehearsal time as the others.

I agree that Aly will have to tough about being compared to Shawn. Same sport and same DWTS partner Mark Ballas. What also made her awkwards was that her confessionals seemed pre-written as compared to some of the others. I do think she has potential and just as to get into the zone.

I agree about her talking, but I think that Aly just has that super-efficient speech cadence that a lot of very well-trained and disciplined people have. Her previous interviews have probably consisted of post-competition recitations of her strong points and what she plans to rectify in the future. Her most important verbal goal heretofore has been to show confidence. She's probably not accustomed to talking spontaneously, so everything she says probably sounds a bit canned. I hope she'll become more comfortable on camera in the future. I'm glad to see someone with her skill set on this season's show, because she's so different from the other contestants. She has unusual flexibility, but she combines it with power rather than with the typical soft grace expected of female partners. Diversity of style is always an asset to the show.

Anyway, if we want humor, in addition to D.F. Hughley, this Jacoby Jones, the football player, seems to be incredibly funny. I just loved his reactions after his dance. He has lovely timing and looseness, too, though his feet don't yet know what to do.

Anyway, if we want humor, in addition to D.F. Hughley, this Jacoby Jones, the football player, seems to be incredibly funny. I just loved his reactions after his dance. He has lovely timing and looseness, too, though his feet don't yet know what to do.

But I was surprised that he was so out of shape two months after the super bowl that he couldn't hold his closing pose and was still gasping for air several minutes later when the scores were read. Come on you superbly conditioned athlete, if Kirsty Ally and Cloris Leachmen can get through a minute and a half of dancing, so can you. :)

Yeah, it's amazing to realize that Chloris Leachman was already in her eighties when she danced, and Kirstie was about sixty. Moreover, Kirstie competed twice!

So distressing about Dorothy! It was odd that she withdrew at the end of the program rather than showing up at the beginning, but maybe they told her to be quiet about it until the last minute to keep up the suspense.

I plan to keep watching, though, because there's plenty to see and enjoy. I know that in principle I should prefer the real amateur dancers, the ones who start out knowing nothing and improve, but it is certainly is a joy to see someone like Zendaya or Kellie Pickler perform so amazingly right off the bat. Derek and Kellie look almost like siblings (let's say second cousins to make it a bit more dance-romantic) or like the male and female versions of the same person, the way Denkova and Staviskiy did, or the Duchesnays. They're an inspired couple. And of course Val and Zendaya are dynamite. I have to say, I've been uniformly impressed with the personalities of the Disney "kids" who have taken part in different seasons of this show. They're like old-time MGM contract players, trained to the utmost in skills such as singing and dancing, smart and engaged, with splendid personalities. They seem well-behaved and disciplined, not runaway trains like Lindsay Lohan (who actually did start out as a Disney star, alas) and now Justin Bieber.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Disappointed about Dorothy. :cry: I probably will not continue to watch as I am not a fan of this show.