Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kanako to retire after Sochi?

Custom Title

Kanako to retire after Sochi?

I'm not sure if I'm one of the last ones to know, but I did not realize that Kanako does not plan on competing anymore after Sochi. I got the information from here. It's translated from an interview of Team Japan members and where they see themselves in ten years.

“Probably a skating coach in 10 years. My goal is definitely Sochi… after that, my competition days end and I’ll return to a normal life. By normal life, I mean a normal university experience. Up until now, kindergarten, elementary school, junior high, high school… it’s all been skating. School, hanging out with friends, I’ve never been a normal student. So that’s why I really want it. If I’m still skating by the time I graduate university, I’ll never experience that life even once! So when Sochi ends, I want to try to be a regular student. After that, I want to be a skating coach—that’s my ideal life path. But, I still want to do shows, if I do shows, I’ll still be a student as well. Well, whether or not I’ll change my mind about all this, I don’t know (smiles).
    But if I don’t make it Sochi, or if I don’t do well there, and I feel there’s more I need to do… maybe I’ll continue competing. If I feel I did what I wanted to do… I’ll probably stop (smiles).” —Kanako Murakami
    Thoughts?

I personally think that it's too soon for her to retire, but of course it is her choice. I know it must be hard to find a balance between school and figure skating, and to still have time to enjoy life outside of competing. I doubt that she won't make it to Sochi anyway, so next season really might be her last.

Custom Title
    I doubt Japanese fed would want her to retire, unless Mao decides to continue skating until 2018.

Custom Title
    Sounds to me as if Kanako wants to meet some sort of goal---making it to Sochi, or medaling at Worlds (which she can do if there are retirements after Sochi). Perhaps she's telling the JSF that if she doesn't go to Sochi, she might quit.....

Seeing as the only promising skater beyond Kanako is Miyahara, with her UR problems, that might make the JSF think twice about their plans for Sochi.

Without Mao, Miki, Akiko, the level of the Japanese female skating would go down to a really low one if kanako retires... She's way too young!!

Banned
    Kanako will probably stay for 2 more years after Sochi, Japan wont have a star lady skater until Marin Honda turns Senior
    Miyahara is a flutzer and Underrotater with her tiny jumps.

Custom Title
    More room for Sugari!!! Japanese national winner 2014-2015

Custom Title
    Nooooo please stay Kana

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    you mean Suguri ????
    If she lands 2 triples probably

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Lol Fumie FTW!!!

Custom Title
    Aww I'll be sad to see her go. She's such a talent!

Custom Title
    It would be a shame if Kanako does decide to retire after Sochi. I haven't been keeping up with the Japanese junior ladies or truthfully any one else outside the big 4 ( Mao, Miki, Kanako, and Akiko) if all four of them do retire after Sochi are there any other rising/talented skaters that could feel the void?

Miserere Nobis
    She should stick it out until 2015 or 2016, IMO. After Mao and Akiko retire, Kanako will be the top Japanese lady without a doubt, and that means she'll have a good shot at World medals.

How old is this interview? That might give us some feel of whether of not Kanako still considers this her plan.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I hope she will think about it once more. I think she has the potential to be World Champion at least once in the next quad, and if she is improving and others might slip....even a Sochi Medal could potentially happen. BUT I really respect the decision to not continue even though she is such a talent. I wouldn't want her to miss out on experiences she herself thinks are more important than the stressful life of a top skater. You're only young once and a life of constant practice and sacrifices is hard.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    How old is this interview? That might give us some feel of whether of not Kanako still considers this her plan.
    It seems that it's a new interview - from this year. Mao answered the same question and said that she will be 32 years old.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Poice View Post
    It seems that it's a new interview - from this year. Mao answered the same question and said that she will be 32 years old.
    Thank you, Poice!

And welcome to GS! Post long and post often!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast