Thread: Article about Kaetlyn Osmond Photo from the Globe & Mail

Hybrid View

Rogue Leader

Article about Kaetlyn Osmond Photo from the Globe & Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commu...rticle9878975/

The author seems to think a photo used of her was unsuitable. The picture in question is not included with the article.

I like that Kaetlyn handled the whole situation with class. Go her!

I agree with the editor that sometimes, people need to stop and think about what they're trying to achieve by pairing a photo with an article. Though I haven't seen the picture, I've seen countless articles about competitions or other athletes that supposed to be feel-good stories, but are just so unfortunate and sometimes give me second-hand embarrassment because of the pictures they choose to include.

I also agree with the editor's defense of using Chan falling as an accompaniment to that particular article about him because it was about him winning despite falling--I think it would have been a little wrong for them to use a picture of him triumphant like he'd just completed a perfect performance. (Don't get me wrong, it's not because I don't like Chan--I think it would have been appropriate if it were any other skater who had been in the same, erm, "situation" that he was in on Friday.)

Custom Title
    I've seen the photo in question. I don't get the "controversy". Would there be a hubbub if it was Yuzuru or Javier doing the high kick?

Custom Title
    Surely you see the difference, at least I think you would if you saw the picture. The perverts out there will get a thrill out of it. And the costume itself looks cheap.

Kaetlyn herself seems OK with it. At least it is a happy picture. The ones that are really objectionable, to me, are the pictures that show a bad fall with the girl's legs awkwardly splayed out. There was a famous picture of Debi Thomas falling at the Olympics like that, which people thought was adding insult to injury.

A newspaper once published a very funny picture of Sasha Cohen, coming straight at the camera in a forward fan spiral with a disgusted look on her face that said, "What are you lookin' at, jerk-face!"

In this particular circumstance, I don't think Kaetlyn's words should be used to defend the use of the photo, because it seems to me that a young girl in her position could only say that she was okay with it. I mean, she may truly be okay with it, but even if she weren't, in fact, especially if she weren't okay with it, she would still say she was okay with it, I think.

In principle, is it okay to use what would be seen in general society as a sexualized photo of an underaged girl to promote her and her sport? I don't think it is. Also, Kaetyln has a beautiful face and a beautiful figure of not only an athlete but of a woman. But the photo makes her crotch the focal point and I think that's what makes the photo insulting. I'm kind of reminded of the 'boob song' controversy at the Academy's this year, when there was a debate about reducing actresses' performances to boobs. I say, if you are going to admire someone for being a beautiful woman, admire the woman, not parts of her anatomy!

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Surely you see the difference, at least I think you would if you saw the picture. The perverts out there will get a thrill out of it. And the costume itself looks cheap.
    That's why there have been several bans on flesh colored tights, at least with black, white or pink tights it woudn't look so cheap.
    If you ask me any skater wearing flesh colored tights should receive a costume deduction because you know you'll attract the wrong kind of crowd.
    All in all that would solve this outrage, no offence to anyone though.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinary person View Post
    That's why there have been several bans on flesh colored tights, at least with black, white or pink tights it woudn't look so cheap.
    If you ask me any skater wearing flesh colored tights shoudl receive a costume deduction because you know you'll attract the wrong kind of crowd.
    All in all that would solve this outrage, no offence to anyone though.
    Flesh-colored tights have been around for a good while in the sport, and no one has yet raised serious hubbub about it. They look natural and don't draw attention away from the overall presentation. White or pink tights, IMO, would distract from the image that the skater is trying to present, mostly because it's difficult to match those colors in a way that makes them aesthetically pleasing. And a lot of posters on this forum have already complained about Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's black tights that make her look sluggish and slow. Can you imagine girls of Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner's coloring in black tights?

I think that this argument could better be raised for gymnasts--teenage girls who wear leotards over completely bare legs.

Custom Title
    Yes. The photo is actually a blowup of a full length photo of Kaetlyn.

Some have surmised the red dress is a vinyl material, but I don't think it is. I recently rewatched the Gala on my 50" HD TV, and noticed the fabric does not appear to move like vinyl. Vinyl is typically somewhat stiff, but this material seems softer. I suspect it may be a glossy type of Satin? Although not too obvious from the photo, the dress appears to be covered in tiny sparkling fleck.