Ross Miner | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ross Miner

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
mskater93, is this the article you mean?

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120605&content_id=32790746&vkey=ice_news

(And how nice in the article that Ross gives a shout out to his previous choreographer, Jamie Isley)

It is interesting that Dickson sees Ross this way:

"When we started talking to them, they already had ideas," Miner said. "It was nice to have someone who was eager to work with me."

"I looked at his skating, and both Catarina and I realized he's incredibly powerful," Dickson said. "I wanted to take his power and shade it. I spoke to him in musical terms about strong, accented music versus soft, curvy music ... more elegant, understated, to soften his movement and make it more regal, so his power becomes his strength.

BTW, I really really like his SP. The LP reminds me a lot of "Casablanca", in which case it will be better live than on TV, and it is.

It's an interesting read.

Apparently, Dickson made Ross do school figures, and his coach, Mark Mitchell, felt he is now ready to inject some emotion into his skating-an interesting way of thinking about the process.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Apparently, Dickson made Ross do school figures, and his coach, Mark Mitchell, felt he is now ready to inject some emotion into his skating-an interesting way of thinking about the process.

Oh, I love this way of thinking!:thumbsup: Technics is first and foremost. After the skater has managed technics well, he/she could start to do some refinement. Injecting emotion into skating is the decoration and final touch. Give the technical frame some needed flesh and blood. Ross is in good hand!:yes:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah! It doesn't surprise me Ross has been doing school figures. His edges is something I notice in his skating!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
And now comes the long wait until US Nationals & we see how all these talented young men will do. I've been following this sport for over 40 years & have always had 1 or 2 favorites per discipline but this i s the 1st time I've been interested in so many & in their skating careers.

Art&Sport

Medalist
He's quite boring. There's no transition, no choreography in his programs.

I don't know if he's boring. He reminds me of a very good 6.0 system skater with the crossovers and telegraphed jump entrances. I agree with the no transitions and choreography part.

Every skater performs crossovers and many have a tendency to routinely telegraph some of their jump entrances due to the difficulty of some jumping passes and the demands of CoP requirements today.

As far as "no choreography," did you actually watch Ross' programs at NHK? Do you know who Tom Dickson is? It's Ross' Tom Dickson choreography that is helping push him to greater success and wider recognition this season. And Ross' fp choreo to The Untouchables last season (choreo by Jamie Isley) was also quite wonderful. Ross seems to truly enjoy himself on the ice and I enjoy watching him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYuFVK06C8k Ross sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSNhTv_5sw Ross fp

Yes, definitely, I think Ross is minin' for gold at U.S. Nationals... but silver would surely be equally satisfying. :love:

Just thought of a headline for Ross' hometown newspaper:

"Ross Miner is mining for gold in Omaha" :biggrin:

ETA: I posted before seeing that Ross' choreographers this season have been mentioned already in this thread. I'd read the posted IN article this summer but had forgotten that Dickson's wife (Catarina Lindgren) choreographed Ross' sp. Both his sp and fp are wonderful for Ross, so both Dicksons seem to really understand and work well with him.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I highly doubt Weir showing is at all relevant. He was never a USFSA favorite, his international results have sucked this year, and he isnt even close to the 2nd best skater in the U.S right now anyway, and they arent going to do him any favors.

:laugh:
They never did do Johnny any favors. That's not news. Johnny even said in his recent book that a U.S. skating official during a 2003 regional or sectional comp came right up and told him to his face that he was "washed up" and they weren't going to "do him any favors." The rest is history.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Slow and steady gets to the finish line. He reminds me of Evan. Not the most gifted natural skater, but really good all around. He also is probably a super hard worker. I LOVE him. I also think his coaches who also choreograph, (correct me if Im wrong) make beautiful programs well suited to their students. Katrina Hacker,Yasmin Seraj(?) and Christina Gaos (short) are really interesting. I sometimes feel that the overused choreographers programs start to feel the same. Anyhow,I wish Ross all the best!!!

Funny how we all see different things in skaters. I see nothing of Evan in Ross at all. Ross is definitely a naturally gifted skater as well as a wonderful athlete with his own developing style. His "gifts" as a young skater were very apparent to his first coaches who informed his parents that their son had naturally gifted qualities. Ross is a former Junior National champion, and he won the bronze medal at 2009 JGPF. He missed 2010 Nationals due to an injury, but appeared on the 2010 senior GP circuit and then nabbed a bronze medal at Nationals in 2011. The rest is not quite "history" as yet, but I'm sure it will be. :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
I see Ross as very naturally gifted with an easy flow on the ice. I like how Mark and Peter have been pacing his technical improvements over the last several season instead of trying the "throw crap at the wall" approach.

Miner and Dickson are as well matched as Abbott and Dickson used to be (and how Abbott and Sato are now) and could be a match like Kwan and Nichol. :)

StereoLove

Rinkside
I see Ross as very naturally gifted with an easy flow on the ice. I like how Mark and Peter have been pacing his technical improvements over the last several season instead of trying the "throw crap at the wall" approach.

Miner and Dickson are as well matched as Abbott and Dickson used to be (and how Abbott and Sato are now) and could be a match like Kwan and Nichol. :)

This part made me smile. Do you mean not trying things he isn't ready for?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Must be like Abbott's quad in SP.:p

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I agree. This is exactly why people don't take notice. But it seems the measured approach has worked for him -- hE has improved or maintained his results. First GP series he was 7 and 9, second, 3 and 6 and this season 3 and 5.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I agree. This is exactly why people don't take notice. But it seems the measured approach has worked for him -- hE has improved or maintained his results. First GP series he was 7 and 9, second, 3 and 6 and this season 3 and 5.

And this year, NHK is the strongest GP event of all.

mskater93

Record Breaker
This part made me smile. Do you mean not trying things he isn't ready for?
Exactly. They have paced his technical improvements (and I include his SS and TR in that bucket) and have slowly increased the difficulty as he was ready for it, not by putting out things he may have landed once in a practice session a week before the competition on a dare. :laugh:
This does several things:
1) lets him get comfortable with each element at a time with focused practice on it. He had issues with the 3A for quite some time; they only had 1 in his LP, they focused on it, had some time between GPs and Nationals, really worked on it and added a second one in to his LP. He was able to focus on it and improve it tremendously so that it isn't something that you cringe watching him try because he is confident he IS going to do it. They are approaching the 4S the same way.
2) lets him work his programs the same way all the time in practice instead of rearranging minute by minute. I think one of the worst things that happened to Brandon Mroz was working on the 4Lo, 4F, and 4Lz and making game time decisions what jumps he was planning to include in his program. Working your program consistently the same way every time allows you to build muscle memory that can carry you through a situation (look at Wagner's TEB skate - she started coming down with a head cold the day of the LP but because she trains her program consistently, she was able to get through it - and better than at SKAM)
3) builds his confidence - with each clean run through and clean (or mostly clean) competition, I am sure his confidence increases unless he's some kind of nut job ;)
4) builds a positive reputation with fans and judges - seeing that Ross consistently is (mostly) clean in competition allows fans and judges to relax more when he skates knowing that he's not going to be a human zamboni which means that they can appreciate what he is putting out on the ice more (I think this is where the increase in PCS comes from more than "reputation" judging - judges become familiar with your cleanliness, get more comfortable and are able to see more nuances to your skating because they aren't waiting for a "splat" and your PCS increases as they notice those nuances)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
:laugh:
They never did do Johnny any favors. That's not news. Johnny even said in his recent book that a U.S. skating official during a 2003 regional or sectional comp came right up and told him to his face that he was "washed up" and they weren't going to "do him any favors." The rest is history.

meanwhile today Weir is a much weaker skater than the top current U.S men, even as unremarkable on the World stage as they might be, in addition to that he wont be geting any boost from USFSA preferential treatment. Which leaves him with no chance. Pretty simple.

Art&Sport

Medalist
meanwhile today Weir is a much weaker skater than the top current U.S men, even as unremarkable on the World stage as they might be, in addition to that he wont be geting any boost from USFSA preferential treatment. Which leaves him with no chance. Pretty simple.

Johnny and Evan have not been skating competitively for two years and their bodies are a lot older too. The fact Johnny worked hard to get in shape to come back for himself and his fans is admirable. He didn't say he was coming back and then not do it. Johnny skated competitive programs at Finlandia in his comeback debut and placed fourth. He was hampered by injury (his body no longer used to the rigors of competition) at Rostelecom Cup. From what I hear, he's still planning to compete at Nationals in January.

I respect Johnny's decision to try and come back but I'd rather see him and Evan competing on a Pro Tour, which likely will never happen, however hopefully they both will go on to do shows and get over their desire to compete as eligible skaters in Sochi. At this point, I would be happy to see Johnny in shows and to hear his commentary in the broadcast booth. But as a fan, I support him in whatever decisions he makes in regard to his skating.

Johnny's relationship with USFS has improved or they would never have assisted in his effort to come back. However, I doubt Johnny has ever expected nor is expecting now any "preferential" treatment from USFS or from any judges. Since you're not the God of Johnny Weir, it's "pretty simple" that you don't get to decide what his "chances" on the ice and in life are or will be. :)

Now, back to Ross Miner:

Thanks so much mskater93 for your thoughtful and thought-provoking posts. ITA with your assessments regarding how Ross' coaches are guiding him, and the significance of his work with his new choreographers!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I dont "decide" anything, nor did I ever declare too. I can just see the obvious (just like when I stated 2 years ago it was obvious even a splatty Chan would be allowed by the judges to lose to nobody even skating lights out in anything but a cheesefest for the next 2 years atleast and have been right with flying colors) like a past his prime, aging, and now injured Weir having no chance at Nationals vs younger skaters who can easily outjump him , outskate him, do more transitions than he does, have COP smarter programs, and being scored by U.S judges who never gave Weir any help. For others who cant see it, that is their problem, but they will find out for themselves soon enough so no worry.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I dont "decide" anything, nor did I ever declare too. I can just see the obvious (just like when I stated 2 years ago it was obvious even a splatty Chan would be allowed by the judges to lose to nobody even skating lights out in anything but a cheesefest for the next 2 years atleast and have been right with flying colors) like a past his prime, aging, and now injured Weir having no chance at Nationals vs younger skaters who can easily outjump him , outskate him, do more transitions than he does, have COP smarter programs, and being scored by U.S judges who never gave Weir any help. For others who cant see it, that is their problem, but they will find out for themselves soon enough so no worry.

From the beginning, I doubt Johnny's comeback was about what you seem focused on. I think Johnny was challenging himself and making a commitment to get in shape and to do everything it took to be as competitive as he could possibly be and to follow through on his commitment for himself and for his fans. After that, he was likely prepared for the chips to fall where they may. Being a figure skater is not new to him, and he's quite aware of how difficult it is to come back and compete against younger guys and veterans who never took two years off. I don't fully know or understand Johnny's motivations, desires or expectations and neither do you. But as a long-time fan, I suspect he isn't worrying about his competitors, but is focused on himself and trying to be in shape to present the best programs he can.

Since I'm not interested in scoring points for being right about predictions/ assumptions/ guesses, I'm perfectly willing to wait and find out what happens for all the competitors at Nationals, "soon enough no worries."

Now can we get back to Ross?

I think Ross has a great 3-axel, which Johnny admired during the 2012 Nats broadcast, and when Johnny's compliment was brought to Ross' attention, Ross in turn saluted Johnny for his masterful 3-axel. :)