Ross Miner | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ross Miner

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
He's quite boring. There's no transition, no choreography in his programs.

I don't know if he's boring. He reminds me of a very good 6.0 system skater with the crossovers and telegraphed jump entrances. I agree with the no transitions and choreography part.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ross is one of those guys who is more impressive live than on TV. His Casablanca routine was one of the 2010 US Nationals highlights for me :)
Those big swooping spread eagles he does are definitely better in the arena than on the TV screen (and yes they are transitions).

Note that the TES he completed at NHK in the LP is second only to Hanyu's on the GP this season, and better than Chan completed in both his programs (thanks to Mrs. P for compiling this) How does this happen? Well, he has all level 4 spins, that's how. His step was only level 3 here, but it was level 4 at SC. Not to mention landing the jumps ;) including the 3lz 1lop 3s sequence for 13.07 in the bonus.

And congratulations to him for his first quad (a 4S) landed in an ISU competition :bow: :clap: at NHK.

Now let's look at Jeremey Abbott. He's giving away points to Ross right and left on spins and steps.
at SkAm in the LP, his spins were level 2, 3, and 4, and his step level 3.
at TEB in the LP , his spins were level 1, 2, and 2, and his step level 3.
His TES puts him in dead last place (22nd) in Mrs. P's list of men's programs scoring 145+ in the FS with 63.75 at TEB-and that was better than his SkAm LP which wasn't as high.

Abbott may skate his best program of the season at US Nationals. It's his usual thing. If Ross can nail his SP as well as reproducing his NHK LP, he could beat Abbott for first. If Ross has a weak SP/strong LP performance, he'll be in the general mix for second.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm avoiding a lot of the threads because I'm trying to stay "unspoiled" (since NHK Trophy is on this afternoon). There are SO many US guys I really admire (Armin, Keegan, Jeremy, Adam, Ricky, Max, Jonathan C., Stephen C., Jason , Joshua, Sean Rabbitt, Alexander Aiken, Harrison Choate (new senior), to name a few) , but I would :love: to see Ross win Nationals. It's been a pleasure seeing him for the last few seasons @ the Liberty Summer Competition, and I so impressed with him.

herios

Medalist
It depends if Ross can land his quad. This was a rare instance he did it, if he doesn't do it under the pressure cooker at natioanls, I dont think he'll win.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
herios, I think that is true. (i.e., if he doesn't do it, he won't win)

However, this is the first year that Ross has attempted to add a quad to his programs. He's been ambitious, and has added a 4S attempt to both SP & LP. He's had 3 or so competitions so far where he has tried quads (unless he tried one at Liberty this summer? that I'm not sure about); for sure Salt Lake Senior B, Skate Canada, and NHK. This is his first success with it. He went about it the same way when he added the 3A-not much success, but when he got it down, things improved fairly quickly. Of course, the quad Sal is more challenging than the 3A, and this may be the only time he ever lands a 4S in a competition. But at this point, I think it is too early to know whether he will reduce it to practice, like his 3A, or if it will remain a some time thing for him.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Yes he can.....I think Adam is sort of flopping this year and seems to have maxed out, and the 3axel is just not happening. And I dont think its going to. I hope the world team is Abbott and Miner, in any order....but I think Miner might edge out at Nationals with Jeremy being a bit of a head case. Regardless, I have said this for a while, Ross is the one to watch. I love seeing him rise slow and steady, under the radar. I predict a trip to Sochi, and them him being a big deal if he sticks around for the next Olympic cycle. I believe he would only be 26 in 2018.
Going out on a limb, I say Abbott, Miner for the world team this year, and Abbott, Miner, and Dornbush for the Olympic team in 2014!! :)

skatel80

On the Ice
I think he can if he skates clean in both programs with his quad, he is a real "skater`s skater" and I really enjoy his quiet presentation, he really seems to enjoy himself every time he is on the ice. I would love a world team of him and Jeremy.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Going out on a limb, I say Abbott, Miner for the world team this year, and Abbott, Miner, and Dornbush for the Olympic team in 2014!! :)

I like those teams and I think are quite likely IF Abbott and Miner can skate well enough to regain the U.S 3 spots. I predict whichever 2some is sent to Worlds, if they regain 3 spots, they will but guarantee their spots for Sochi as the USFSA will throw all their support behind them (the same goes for the lady 2some that is sent to Worlds if they regain 3 spots) leaving 1 spot open for all the others, that includes Evan if by some miracle he skates at Nationals 2012 or anyone else.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
If you think about it, when Brian Boitano was younger (leading right up to the season before the 1988 Olympics) people were saying he was a jumper but not much of an artist. He then went to Sandra Bezic for his Olympic year choreography. The right packaging made him unforgettable. I think Ross has gorgeous basic skating skills, and with the right packaging and a little more experience, he just may have a chance to be another unforgettable skater from the US. He certainly has the basic skating skills and CONSISTENCY to build from!

herios

Medalist
herios, I think that is true. (i.e., if he doesn't do it, he won't win)

However, this is the first year that Ross has attempted to add a quad to his programs. He's been ambitious, and has added a 4S attempt to both SP & LP. He's had 3 or so competitions so far where he has tried quads (unless he tried one at Liberty this summer? that I'm not sure about); for sure Salt Lake Senior B, Skate Canada, and NHK. This is his first success with it. He went about it the same way when he added the 3A-not much success, but when he got it down, things improved fairly quickly. Of course, the quad Sal is more challenging than the 3A, and this may be the only time he ever lands a 4S in a competition. But at this point, I think it is too early to know whether he will reduce it to practice, like his 3A, or if it will remain a some time thing for him.

You see Doris, that is the point. As they say in my former country (Romania, by the way), a flower won't bring spring.
Will now Ross land his quad salchow on a regular basis? I don't know. I also thought after Finlandia , theat Dornbush, who blew me away there with his free skate, will now have the quad in the bag, and look at him now...he keeps falling.
IMO, Miner and Dornbush have equal chances at US Nationals, both seems to land all their triples and attempt the quad in both programs, with one landed at an ISU conpetiition.
I personally prefer Dornbush, artistically, I think his potenatial is higher than Ross, if he goes clean, not to speak about the fact that he attepts 2 quads.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
herios, I saw Dornbush live at 2010 Nationals. He was very scratchy and his presentation didn't reach beyond the boards- Ross had a more memorable LP (and a standing O from the crowd). And Richard was a disaster last year at Nationals and 4CC's. Consequently I am a bit slow to jump on the Ricky train.

I didn't see Ricky at Finlandia except on the small screen, and not a very good vid at that. Did you get to see the comp live?

BTW Welcome to Golden Skate skatel80!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If you think about it, when Brian Boitano was younger (leading right up to the season before the 1988 Olympics) people were saying he was a jumper but not much of an artist. He then went to Sandra Bezic for his Olympic year choreography. The right packaging made him unforgettable. I think Ross has gorgeous basic skating skills, and with the right packaging and a little more experience, he just may have a chance to be another unforgettable skater from the US. He certainly has the basic skating skills and CONSISTENCY to build from!

It was the same way with Browning - he really didn't have a reputation as someone who showed a lot of artistic skill... then BAM! Casablanca!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
After seeing Miner on TV today (and I see these guys at all the nationals live too) I would say JA had better look out. Miner is improving all the time...JA, of course an excellent skater when he is on, has topped out for now, IMHO. Maybe next year he comes back and can do three quads...more power to him....but in two months JA better skate with his high level of artistry and tech ability....hungry young guns are comming up behind him, and leading them is Miner...
As I (and many others) pointed out on the NHK Men's FS thread, Ross is a very underrated skater. But now he has the highest overall SB score out of the U.S. men. And that 4S was beautiful in the FS (though he missed it in the SP). I think he needs more work on making it consistent. But given his past work with his 3A -- I do think this is possible.

Does anyone think he can rise up the ranks and perhaps even win? Let's discuss.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I reference the 3A in my original post because he REALLY struggled with it during the GP series, particularly in the short program.

Here's his 3A attempts at 2010 GP:

NHK 2010 SP: -1.14 GOE
NHK 2010 FS: 0
COC 2010 SP: -0.86
COC 2010 FS: +0.86

then Nationals 2011 more than two months later....(And yes, it's worth noting that he went from only doing one 3A in the FS to two!)
SP: +1.14 GOE
FS 3A+2T: +1.43
FS 3A: +.14

And since Nationals 2011, he's only had negative GOE three times, at Skate Canada 2011, when he popped the jump in the SP and got -GOE in the FS and at nationals 2012, in the free skate.

Worlds 2011 SP: +0.86 GOE
Worlds 2011 FS 3A+2T: +1.14
Worlds 2011 FS 3A: +1.00
SC 2011 SP: 1A + -0.60
SC 2011 FS 3A: +1.43
SC 2011 FS 3A+2T: -1.43
NHK 2011 SP: +0.57
NHK 2011 FS 3A: +1.43
NHK 2011 FS 3A+2T: +0.29
Nationals 2012 SP: +1.86
Nationals 2012 FS 3A: +1.86
Nationals 2012 FS 3A SEQ: -3.00
4CC 2012 SP: +1.29
4CC 2012 FS 3A: +1.57
4CC 2012 FS 3A+2T: +1.00
SC 2012 SP: +1.00
SC 2012 FS 3A+2T: +0.86
SC 2012 FS 3A: +0.71
NHK 2012 SP: +1.43
NHK 2012 FS 3A+2T: +0.86
NHK 2012 FS 3A: +1.00

So basically he's 86 percent on hitting the 3A since Nationals 2011. Pretty good! And he's 100 percent so far this season! And not only that, he's getting sold +1 and +2 for them!

Point is, Ross has shown a history of working out his struggling jumps, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S came about in a similar fashion.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Maybe. Miner's LP is boring this year compared to last year's Casablanca program but that quad at NHK was impressive. Abbott just never, ever seems to be able to but it together but when he does, it usually at Nationals. I think Abbott will skate well enough to win, by Miner may get that second spot if Johnny and Evan don't show (which I don't feel is very likely at this point).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Maybe. Miner's LP is boring this year compared to last year's Casablanca program but that quad at NHK was impressive. Abbott just never, ever seems to be able to but it together but when he does, it usually at Nationals. I think Abbott will skate well enough to win, by Miner may get that second spot if Johnny and Evan don't show (which I don't feel is very likely at this point).

I highly doubt Weir showing is at all relevant. He was never a USFSA favorite, his international results have sucked this year, and he isnt even close to the 2nd best skater in the U.S right now anyway, and they arent going to do him any favors.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

I agree. He reminds me of a young Boitano in some ways. Despite that people are usually reluctant to give a chance to middle aged skaters just starting to breakthrough, I think he has huge potential, and could see him going to 2018. I hope the USFSA gives him a chance and gets behind him. Atleast he delivers under pressure it seems.