Ross Miner | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ross Miner

MasterB

Final Flight
I was just thinking that the way most American men have been skating, Miner can win nationals. He has been skating very steady. Besides his quad, he delivers the rest of the program strongly whereas Abbott tends to fall apart at different portions of his program. Richard, is also skating strong aside from his quads and way better than last year.

The most important thing at NHK was that he was able to score really high in the FS.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I agree. He reminds me of a young Boitano in some ways. Despite that people are usually reluctant to give a chance to middle aged skaters just starting to breakthrough, I think he has huge potential, and could see him going to 2018. I hope the USFSA gives him a chance and gets behind him. Atleast he delivers under pressure it seems.

Miner isn't even that old (he's 21- young for a male skater). He was nineteen when he won his first medal at Nationals and competed at Worlds (2011), just like Evan Lysacek. Evan didn't win his world title until he was 23, Olympics at 24. Ross will be 22 at the Olympics if he makes the team, only 1 year older than Johnny was at his first Olympics. He would be 26 in 2018; a year younger than Abbott is now, and only 2 years older than Evan was when he won the Olympics. Ross is not necessarily anywhere near the end of his career!

ks777

Record Breaker
I agree. He reminds me of a young Boitano in some ways. Despite that people are usually reluctant to give a chance to middle aged skaters just starting to breakthrough, I think he has huge potential, and could see him going to 2018. I hope the USFSA gives him a chance and gets behind him. Atleast he delivers under pressure it seems.

He doesn't remind me of Boitano at all. To me he reminds me of a young Jeremy Abbott.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
He doesn't remind me of Boitano at all. To me he reminds me of a young Jeremy Abbott.

I have a hard time seeing that comparison. Ross is a lot more consistent than Jeremy (save for Jeremy's Nationals results). Additionally, Ross first competed at Worlds when he was 19- Jeremy didn't make it until he was 23, and he competed there that year as an alternate. Ross also won a GP medal at 20- something Jeremy didn't do until age 23. By the Boitano comparison, I meant someone who was first seen as a solid jumper who later became an artist as well as a technician, something Ross seems well on his way to becoming. While I love Jeremy, I hope Ross doesn't follow in the footsteps of his World/ Olympics results! Jeremy so far has not all reached his potential on the highest level of competition, something I really hope Ross does!

clairecloutier

Final Flight
My answer is yes: I think Ross can win nationals. If he lands the quad and skates like he did at NHK, he could be tough to beat! I've been a Ross supporter for a while now--I just like his consistency as a competitor--and I'm so excited about his performance at NHK. Wow--when that TES came up--that was huge!! What a step for him. Yes, he is reminiscent of Boitano, and Lysacek too, in his competitive ability.

Having recently seen them live at a show, I will say that, when you look solely at their basic skating skills, Jeremy Abbott is a much better skater than Ross Miner. But Ross is already a better, steadier competitor than Jeremy has probably ever been. Sadly, Jeremy is more of a head case than ever this season, while Ross continues to quietly improve. I wish the best for Jeremy, because he is so incredibly talented and such an artist. Ross still needs a lot of development in this area. However, this is a sport, and Jeremy has had so many chances to show his best for the U.S. in competition, and has rarely done so. His best is usually at Nationals, and even if he peaks there this season, I really hope Ross gets that second spot at least. I think he will perform well for the U.S. at Worlds, and that is so important this year.

As for the other U.S. guys, I have yet to see Dornbush, Messing, and Aaron this season, so cannot venture an opinion. My overall impression of Dornbush is he's quite talented but flaky and unreliable. I do see Ross as having definitely passed Dornbush at this point, again because of his steadiness as a competitor. (Although some may feel Dornbush is naturally more talented, and I don't necessarily disagree with that, natural talent only takes you so far.) I like Armin but his results the last 2 seasons are disappointing. Rippon is out of it, this year at least. I think his latest coaching change was not a good move and also I don't think his programs are working this year. The programs are fine, but they just don't feel like Adam.

I do not expect to see Evan at Nationals. And as for Johnny, I am a big fan and had high hopes for his comeback, but I think the GP withdrawals pretty much killed his chances. Finlandia, to me, showed that he still has skill and ability, but needs more competitive experience and, especially, more experience competing his new programs. The GP withdrawals deprived him of that, and he will be coming into Nationals cold. I do not see him making the team.

So yes, I think Ross has a real chance to win, and I will be rooting for him!!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet.

To the thread title: Definitely possible!

Now Ross has a 4S. He is not a headcase like Abbott. So he is a real threat to be the no.1 in USA. The real danger is Jeremy could be pushed off the US world team this year.

skatel80

On the Ice
herios, I saw Dornbush live at 2010 Nationals. He was very scratchy and his presentation didn't reach beyond the boards- Ross had a more memorable LP (and a standing O from the crowd). And Richard was a disaster last year at Nationals and 4CC's. Consequently I am a bit slow to jump on the Ricky train.

I didn't see Ricky at Finlandia except on the small screen, and not a very good vid at that. Did you get to see the comp live?

BTW Welcome to Golden Skate skatel80!

Thank you :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do think Ross Miner could win the title or go to world's at least. Abbott and Evan you would think be the faves then Rippon and Miner. Who knows for sure if Evan will skate nationals with this new injury? Ditto for Johnny and he didn't look to good at COR injury or no injury.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Technically ? Yes but Miner lacks something that makes him anonymous and boring
Its Abbott and Dornbush to lose !

He's quite boring. There's no transition, no choreography in his programs.

I think Miner's skating is a little like his look, could disappear into the crowd. Nothing memorable except the crossovers. This time his 4S stood out. I do wish him win Nationals someday. Lysacek might be more reluctant to really show up after seeing how embarrassing Weir has been at COR.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Evan and Johnny are wise they will abandon their comebacks, Evan will return to Stars on Ice and milk what might be his last year as the star of the show (which will probably be bankrupt in a year or two anyway, atleast will be if he is the headliner still even after Sochi, lol), and Johnny to return to his life as a B level celebrity, entrepeuner, autobiography seller, fashion designer, whatever. Things are only going to get increasingly ugly for both if they push on. If the godly Plushenko goes from being on another planet to his competitors (minus fellow god Yagudin when he was around) to having to work his butt off to hang in there, mere mortals like Evan and Johnny trying to come back after significant time off at that age is never going to happen.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If Evan and Johnny are wise they will abandon their comebacks, Evan will return to Stars on Ice and milk what might be his last year as the star of the show (which will probably be bankrupt in a year or two anyway, atleast will be if he is the headliner still even after Sochi, lol), and Johnny to return to his life as a B level celebrity, entrepeuner, autobiography seller, fashion designer, whatever. Things are only going to get increasingly ugly for both if they push on. If the godly Plushenko goes from being on another planet to his competitors (minus fellow god Yagudin when he was around) to having to work his butt off to hang in there, mere mortals like Evan and Johnny trying to come back after significant time off at that age is never going to happen.

You are too optimistic. Weir is very much just a D level celebrity. What fashion designer doesn't know how to sew? I can't bear Lysacek's another comeback announcement.:biggrin:

jill_

Spectator
Long time lurker, first time poster :)

Ross definitely seems like he is in a position to challenge for gold, especially given his performance at NHK. It will certainly be interesting to see who lands their quads at nationals.

Living in Colorado Springs I'm in the lucky position of being able to watch the skaters there practice often. Max and Armin could definitely play spoilers at Nats. Max has a consistent quad sal and goes for two in his long. He has speed and the stamina to back it up. His spins and components won't be as strong as the other men so he will have to bring the jumps.

Armin has everything if can he can keep it together. He's been training quite well this season and his programs are very impressive when done well. It was actually quite unfortunate to see him get injured at Skate America. I recall a fantastic SP with 4t+3t, 3a and 3Lz the day before he left. From what I've gathered he spent the most of the day before the short in an urgent care getting his ankle xrayed after a freak fall in the official practice. Before his senior B in Austria he was in visible pain after landing jumps. A less tough athlete would have withdrawn. Given the circumstances, I'd say he's done respectable job. I've heard he's doing much better and should be back to peak form by nationals. If he can stay healthy I think he'll be a surprise at the event.

Here's to a Nationals with a Colorado kid or two on the podium!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate jill_; we're glad you moved out of lurkerdom.

Here's Ross's SP and LP from the British Eurosport coverage. The SP wasn't broadcast on NBC, and I hadn't gotten around to watching it on youtube yet:

Ross Miner SP British Eurosport - Variations on a Theme by Paganini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNN0zREHa5o&feature=plcp

Ross Miner LP British Eurosport - Captain Blood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6ViXupBUc&feature=plcp

I particularly like the SP, although the LP was better performed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Welcome to Golden Skate jill_; we're glad you moved out of lurkerdom.

Here's Ross's SP and LP from the British Eurosport coverage. The SP wasn't broadcast on NBC, and I hadn't gotten around to watching it on youtube yet:

Thanks Doris! I like the SP a lot also. Once he gets the 4S in there, it's going to be amazing. He could score 80+ based on how he did at NHK...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This thread may have to become a Fan Fest thread after it ages a bit, as there seem to be quite a few Ross fans here!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This thread may have to become a Fan Fest thread after it ages a bit, as there seem to be quite a few Ross fans here!

:biggrin:

I have been a Ross fan since he won bronze at U.S. Nationals. As I said when I started the post, I feel he's quite under appreciated, but I love how he consistently hits his jumps, how subtle and smooth his skating is and just his personality in general.

I also love that he's BFF with the Shibutanis -- who you know I also adore. I won't lie, I'm shipping for Ross + Maia. ;)

Orange Cat

On the Ice

Can I just comment on how much I love the British commentators? They are so helpful, and they don't talk the entire way through programs.

Ross is a solid skater, a musical (if not extroverted) skater; I think he could definitely win Nationals if he puts two good programs together. And I'd put more money on him putting out two good programs as opposed to, say, Ricky or Abbott...

(I get the feeling that where Ross is like Rachael Flatt, with a performance that reaches people in the stadium but doesn't always translate well on screen, Ricky is like Sasha Cohen. They translate really well on screen, but people who see them live say that they are not as spectacular at capturing the entire stadium. I wonder how that works...)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Here's another Ross fan thanks to the Liberty Summer Competitions (first saw his "Casablanca" there), & IIRC @ 2009 Nationals (as a junior?). Yay for Max & Armin, too (in Armin's case, since 2005 when he was still wearing braces on his teeth).

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Slow and steady gets to the finish line. He reminds me of Evan. Not the most gifted natural skater, but really good all around. He also is probably a super hard worker. I LOVE him. I also think his coaches who also choreograph, (correct me if Im wrong) make beautiful programs well suited to their students. Katrina Hacker,Yasmin Seraj(?) and Christina Gaos (short) are really interesting. I sometimes feel that the overused choreographers programs start to feel the same. Anyhow,I wish Ross all the best!!!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, Ross worked with a new choreographer this year to get a different perspective and grow his skating. There was an article in the off-season on IN. I believe Tom Dickson (and his wife) both came out and worked with Ross. Ross talked about Dickson's method of putting programs together and how different his method of working is.