Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 115

Thread: Ross Miner

  1. #1
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,378

    Ross Miner

    ETA-I copied this to Fan Fests, because it's clear Ross "Boss" Miner has a lot of fans at GS!


    As I (and many others) pointed out on the NHK Men's FS thread, Ross is a very underrated skater. But now he has the highest overall SB score out of the U.S. men. And that 4S was beautiful in the FS (though he missed it in the SP). I think he needs more work on making it consistent. But given his past work with his 3A -- I do think this is possible.

    Does anyone think he can rise up the ranks and perhaps even win? Let's discuss.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-03-2012 at 11:31 AM.

  2. #2
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,875
    Technically ? Yes but Miner lacks something that makes him anonymous and boring
    Its Abbott and Dornbush to lose !

  3. #3
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Technically ? Yes but Miner lacks something that makes him anonymous and boring
    Its Abbott and Dornbush to lose !
    As I said, I feel that people perceive him as boring because his skating is not in your face. He does not do high-dramatics, so therefore he gets stuck with the boring label. But if you look at his packaging as a whole, he has very lovely skating and nice choreography.

    He has already beaten Abbott and Dornbush on the PB list, and he has been more consistent relative to the other U.S. men in placement. He also has placed well despite being in very deep fields. So no, I don't think it's Dornbush's championship to lose and if Abbott didn't have such strong components, I wouldn't think it was his to lose either.

    Jeremy: 5th at SA (against a weaker field) and 2nd at TEB (again a weak field)
    Ross: 5th at SC (against Chan, Fernandez + Oda) and 3rd at NHK (against Hanyu, Takahashi and Fernandez)
    Richard: 6th at TEB and 5th at NHK.
    Adam: 4th at COC and 8th at NHK

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    As I (and many others) pointed out on the NHK Men's FS thread, Ross is a very underrated skater. But now he has the highest overall SB score out of the U.S. men. And that 4S was beautiful in the FS (though he missed it in the SP). I think he needs more work on making it consistent. But given his past work with his 3A -- I do think this is possible.

    Does anyone think he can rise up the ranks and perhaps even win? Let's discuss.
    Yes, I definitely think he can win the U.S. Nationals, not that he necessarily will. To be honest, both him and Richard Dornbush are very close when it comes to their potential. The difference is Ross has been able to deliver it whereas Richard has yet to do so this season. Both Abbott and Rippon are getting a little tired with their lack of results internationally. I think the U.S. Nationals would be wide open. But if I have put my money on someone, I think it will be either Dornbush or Miner.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Technically ? Yes but Miner lacks something that makes him anonymous and boring
    Its Abbott and Dornbush to lose !
    Miner had much higher PCS than Dornbush even though both skated well in their LPs. Miner is technically stronger and will win if both skate well right now.

    I say yes he can. Only Abbott having his usual strong Nationals will prevent him at this point.

    I do think Miner, Abbott, and Dornbush are the main contenders for Nationals at this point. Dont see Rippon as any factor, nor Weir (dont see Evan showing up but if he does obviously you cant count him out in the U.S at this point, even if you can on the World stage).

    If I had to predict it would be Abbott peaking at Nationals again and winning, and Miner 2nd, and that being the World team.

  6. #6
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Miner had much higher PCS than Dornbush even though both skated well in their LPs. Miner is technically stronger and will win if both skate well right now.

    I say yes he can. Only Abbott having his usual strong Nationals will prevent him at this point.

    I do think Miner, Abbott, and Dornbush are the main contenders for Nationals at this point. Dont see Rippon as any factor, nor Weir (dont see Evan showing up but if he does obviously you cant count him out in the U.S at this point, even if you can on the World stage).

    If I had to predict it would be Abbott peaking at Nationals again and winning, and Miner 2nd, and that being the World team.
    Miner skated almost lights out while Ricky had a couple of mistakes , had he went clean his PCS woul be ahead of Miner
    Evan is unlikely to come back and Rippon is still a failure with his 3A's

  7. #7
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Miner skated almost lights out while Ricky had a couple of mistakes , had he went clean his PCS woul be ahead of Miner
    Evan is unlikely to come back and Rippon is still a failure with his 3A's
    But that's the thing -- Richard has to skate clean. He has yet to do so this season.

    I do like Richard's choreography a lot, perhaps even better than Miner's but his mistakes do interrupt the program quite a bit.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Miner skated almost lights out while Ricky had a couple of mistakes , had he went clean his PCS woul be ahead of Miner
    Evan is unlikely to come back and Rippon is still a failure with his 3A's
    Please mistakes dont affect PCS that much. We see that with Chan time and time again. Dornbush was well behind Miner in PCS even considering his mistakes. My point is I dont see a big difference in PCS between them at this point, and Miner is technically stronger right now.

  9. #9
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Please mistakes dont affect PCS that much. We see that with Chan time and time again. Dornbush was well behind Miner in PCS even considering his mistakes. My point is I dont see a big difference in PCS between them at this point, and Miner is technically stronger right now.
    it does for most except for the selected few and I don't think Miner is Not part of that Group yet
    Chanflation is of course an exception

  10. #10
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Yes, I definitely think he can win the U.S. Nationals, not that he necessarily will. To be honest, both him and Richard Dornbush are very close when it comes to their potential. The difference is Ross has been able to deliver it whereas Richard has yet to do so this season. Both Abbott and Rippon are getting a little tired with their lack of results internationally. I think the U.S. Nationals would be wide open. But if I have put my money on someone, I think it will be either Dornbush or Miner.
    Well that's why I used can not will!

    I think the key thing for Ross will be the SP. He has always been weaker in the SP. He has the No. 6 score in the FS but only the No. 20 score in the SP and is behind Jeremy Abbott and Josh Farris among the U.S. Men.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    it does for most except for the selected few and I don't think Miner is Not part of that Group yet
    Chanflation is of course an exception
    Sounds like your little prince whom you thought has become a king is still a good 14 points behind in the PCS vs. Patrick Chan who skated in front of an unsupportive crowd in Russia despite Hanyu getting a massive hometown bonus for a skate with two falls. One can only imagine when the location advantage is reversed with the Worlds in London, your little prince would be lucky not to turn into a toad by those pesky judges.

  12. #12
    Custom Title merrywidow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,383
    I think Miner may well be our 2013 National Champion. I certainly hope he makes the World team. He is such a solid & smooth skater, no depending on flailing arms. Love his deep edges & he is seemingly strong minded. I believe in Dornbush too & Max Aaron . These 3 are our (USA's) future IMO. Dornbush scored a 239 at Finlandia & Aaron had a 231 at SLC, granted they were B comps but they were judged by international judges.

  13. #13
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Sounds like your little prince whom you thought has become a king is still a good 14 points behind in the PCS vs. Patrick Chan who skated in front of an unsupportive crowd in Russia despite Hanyu getting a massive hometown bonus for a skate with two falls. One can only imagine when the location advantage is reversed with the Worlds in London, your little prince would be lucky not to turn into a toad by those pesky judges.
    Hanyu has improved a lot and he is rewarded very nicele\y, he has got consistent scored by judges at SA and NHK
    plus his scores that he didn't have an epic meltdown at NHK FS, 2 jumping pass and a botched spin

  14. #14
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    I think Miner may well be our 2013 National Champion. I certainly hope he makes the World team. He is such a solid & smooth skater, no depending on flailing arms. Love his deep edges & he is seemingly strong minded. I believe in Dornbush too & Max Aaron . These 3 are our (USA's) future IMO. Dornbush scored a 239 at Finlandia & Aaron had a 231 at SLC, granted they were B comps but they were judged by international judges.
    Yes! Max Aaron is definitely a dark horse given that he has the 4T and the 4S in his arsenal. He has some work to do on the PCS side, but he definitely handing in some graet skates this season!

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St Louis Metro area
    Posts
    142
    Miner has been on the Nationals podium for the last two years. He's solid and very likely to win. Abbott is injured (and his technical has suffered)-so who knows?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •