Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ross Miner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    Going out on a limb, I say Abbott, Miner for the world team this year, and Abbott, Miner, and Dornbush for the Olympic team in 2014!!
    I like those teams and I think are quite likely IF Abbott and Miner can skate well enough to regain the U.S 3 spots. I predict whichever 2some is sent to Worlds, if they regain 3 spots, they will but guarantee their spots for Sochi as the USFSA will throw all their support behind them (the same goes for the lady 2some that is sent to Worlds if they regain 3 spots) leaving 1 spot open for all the others, that includes Evan if by some miracle he skates at Nationals 2012 or anyone else.

Medalist
    If you think about it, when Brian Boitano was younger (leading right up to the season before the 1988 Olympics) people were saying he was a jumper but not much of an artist. He then went to Sandra Bezic for his Olympic year choreography. The right packaging made him unforgettable. I think Ross has gorgeous basic skating skills, and with the right packaging and a little more experience, he just may have a chance to be another unforgettable skater from the US. He certainly has the basic skating skills and CONSISTENCY to build from!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    herios, I think that is true. (i.e., if he doesn't do it, he won't win)

However, this is the first year that Ross has attempted to add a quad to his programs. He's been ambitious, and has added a 4S attempt to both SP & LP. He's had 3 or so competitions so far where he has tried quads (unless he tried one at Liberty this summer? that I'm not sure about); for sure Salt Lake Senior B, Skate Canada, and NHK. This is his first success with it. He went about it the same way when he added the 3A-not much success, but when he got it down, things improved fairly quickly. Of course, the quad Sal is more challenging than the 3A, and this may be the only time he ever lands a 4S in a competition. But at this point, I think it is too early to know whether he will reduce it to practice, like his 3A, or if it will remain a some time thing for him.
    You see Doris, that is the point. As they say in my former country (Romania, by the way), a flower won't bring spring.
    Will now Ross land his quad salchow on a regular basis? I don't know. I also thought after Finlandia , theat Dornbush, who blew me away there with his free skate, will now have the quad in the bag, and look at him now...he keeps falling.
    IMO, Miner and Dornbush have equal chances at US Nationals, both seems to land all their triples and attempt the quad in both programs, with one landed at an ISU conpetiition.
    I personally prefer Dornbush, artistically, I think his potenatial is higher than Ross, if he goes clean, not to speak about the fact that he attepts 2 quads.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    herios, I saw Dornbush live at 2010 Nationals. He was very scratchy and his presentation didn't reach beyond the boards- Ross had a more memorable LP (and a standing O from the crowd). And Richard was a disaster last year at Nationals and 4CC's. Consequently I am a bit slow to jump on the Ricky train.

I didn't see Ricky at Finlandia except on the small screen, and not a very good vid at that. Did you get to see the comp live?

BTW Welcome to Golden Skate skatel80!

Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    If you think about it, when Brian Boitano was younger (leading right up to the season before the 1988 Olympics) people were saying he was a jumper but not much of an artist. He then went to Sandra Bezic for his Olympic year choreography. The right packaging made him unforgettable. I think Ross has gorgeous basic skating skills, and with the right packaging and a little more experience, he just may have a chance to be another unforgettable skater from the US. He certainly has the basic skating skills and CONSISTENCY to build from!
    It was the same way with Browning - he really didn't have a reputation as someone who showed a lot of artistic skill... then BAM! Casablanca!

After seeing Miner on TV today (and I see these guys at all the nationals live too) I would say JA had better look out. Miner is improving all the time...JA, of course an excellent skater when he is on, has topped out for now, IMHO. Maybe next year he comes back and can do three quads...more power to him....but in two months JA better skate with his high level of artistry and tech ability....hungry young guns are comming up behind him, and leading them is Miner...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    As I (and many others) pointed out on the NHK Men's FS thread, Ross is a very underrated skater. But now he has the highest overall SB score out of the U.S. men. And that 4S was beautiful in the FS (though he missed it in the SP). I think he needs more work on making it consistent. But given his past work with his 3A -- I do think this is possible.

Does anyone think he can rise up the ranks and perhaps even win? Let's discuss.

I reference the 3A in my original post because he REALLY struggled with it during the GP series, particularly in the short program.

Here's his 3A attempts at 2010 GP:

NHK 2010 SP: -1.14 GOE
    NHK 2010 FS: 0
    COC 2010 SP: -0.86
    COC 2010 FS: +0.86

then Nationals 2011 more than two months later....(And yes, it's worth noting that he went from only doing one 3A in the FS to two!)
    SP: +1.14 GOE
    FS 3A+2T: +1.43
    FS 3A: +.14

And since Nationals 2011, he's only had negative GOE three times, at Skate Canada 2011, when he popped the jump in the SP and got -GOE in the FS and at nationals 2012, in the free skate.

Worlds 2011 SP: +0.86 GOE
    Worlds 2011 FS 3A+2T: +1.14
    Worlds 2011 FS 3A: +1.00
    SC 2011 SP: 1A + -0.60
    SC 2011 FS 3A: +1.43
    SC 2011 FS 3A+2T: -1.43
    NHK 2011 SP: +0.57
    NHK 2011 FS 3A: +1.43
    NHK 2011 FS 3A+2T: +0.29
    Nationals 2012 SP: +1.86
    Nationals 2012 FS 3A: +1.86
    Nationals 2012 FS 3A SEQ: -3.00
    4CC 2012 SP: +1.29
    4CC 2012 FS 3A: +1.57
    4CC 2012 FS 3A+2T: +1.00
    SC 2012 SP: +1.00
    SC 2012 FS 3A+2T: +0.86
    SC 2012 FS 3A: +0.71
    NHK 2012 SP: +1.43
    NHK 2012 FS 3A+2T: +0.86
    NHK 2012 FS 3A: +1.00

So basically he's 86 percent on hitting the 3A since Nationals 2011. Pretty good! And he's 100 percent so far this season! And not only that, he's getting sold +1 and +2 for them!

Point is, Ross has shown a history of working out his struggling jumps, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S came about in a similar fashion.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Maybe. Miner's LP is boring this year compared to last year's Casablanca program but that quad at NHK was impressive. Abbott just never, ever seems to be able to but it together but when he does, it usually at Nationals. I think Abbott will skate well enough to win, by Miner may get that second spot if Johnny and Evan don't show (which I don't feel is very likely at this point).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Maybe. Miner's LP is boring this year compared to last year's Casablanca program but that quad at NHK was impressive. Abbott just never, ever seems to be able to but it together but when he does, it usually at Nationals. I think Abbott will skate well enough to win, by Miner may get that second spot if Johnny and Evan don't show (which I don't feel is very likely at this point).
    I highly doubt Weir showing is at all relevant. He was never a USFSA favorite, his international results have sucked this year, and he isnt even close to the 2nd best skater in the U.S right now anyway, and they arent going to do him any favors.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post

I agree. He reminds me of a young Boitano in some ways. Despite that people are usually reluctant to give a chance to middle aged skaters just starting to breakthrough, I think he has huge potential, and could see him going to 2018. I hope the USFSA gives him a chance and gets behind him. Atleast he delivers under pressure it seems.

Custom Title
    I was just thinking that the way most American men have been skating, Miner can win nationals. He has been skating very steady. Besides his quad, he delivers the rest of the program strongly whereas Abbott tends to fall apart at different portions of his program. Richard, is also skating strong aside from his quads and way better than last year.

The most important thing at NHK was that he was able to score really high in the FS.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I agree. He reminds me of a young Boitano in some ways. Despite that people are usually reluctant to give a chance to middle aged skaters just starting to breakthrough, I think he has huge potential, and could see him going to 2018. I hope the USFSA gives him a chance and gets behind him. Atleast he delivers under pressure it seems.

Miner isn't even that old (he's 21- young for a male skater). He was nineteen when he won his first medal at Nationals and competed at Worlds (2011), just like Evan Lysacek. Evan didn't win his world title until he was 23, Olympics at 24. Ross will be 22 at the Olympics if he makes the team, only 1 year older than Johnny was at his first Olympics. He would be 26 in 2018; a year younger than Abbott is now, and only 2 years older than Evan was when he won the Olympics. Ross is not necessarily anywhere near the end of his career!

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    He doesn't remind me of Boitano at all. To me he reminds me of a young Jeremy Abbott.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    He doesn't remind me of Boitano at all. To me he reminds me of a young Jeremy Abbott.
    I have a hard time seeing that comparison. Ross is a lot more consistent than Jeremy (save for Jeremy's Nationals results). Additionally, Ross first competed at Worlds when he was 19- Jeremy didn't make it until he was 23, and he competed there that year as an alternate. Ross also won a GP medal at 20- something Jeremy didn't do until age 23. By the Boitano comparison, I meant someone who was first seen as a solid jumper who later became an artist as well as a technician, something Ross seems well on his way to becoming. While I love Jeremy, I hope Ross doesn't follow in the footsteps of his World/ Olympics results! Jeremy so far has not all reached his potential on the highest level of competition, something I really hope Ross does!

Custom Title
    My answer is yes: I think Ross can win nationals. If he lands the quad and skates like he did at NHK, he could be tough to beat! I've been a Ross supporter for a while now--I just like his consistency as a competitor--and I'm so excited about his performance at NHK. Wow--when that TES came up--that was huge!! What a step for him. Yes, he is reminiscent of Boitano, and Lysacek too, in his competitive ability.

Having recently seen them live at a show, I will say that, when you look solely at their basic skating skills, Jeremy Abbott is a much better skater than Ross Miner. But Ross is already a better, steadier competitor than Jeremy has probably ever been. Sadly, Jeremy is more of a head case than ever this season, while Ross continues to quietly improve. I wish the best for Jeremy, because he is so incredibly talented and such an artist. Ross still needs a lot of development in this area. However, this is a sport, and Jeremy has had so many chances to show his best for the U.S. in competition, and has rarely done so. His best is usually at Nationals, and even if he peaks there this season, I really hope Ross gets that second spot at least. I think he will perform well for the U.S. at Worlds, and that is so important this year.

As for the other U.S. guys, I have yet to see Dornbush, Messing, and Aaron this season, so cannot venture an opinion. My overall impression of Dornbush is he's quite talented but flaky and unreliable. I do see Ross as having definitely passed Dornbush at this point, again because of his steadiness as a competitor. (Although some may feel Dornbush is naturally more talented, and I don't necessarily disagree with that, natural talent only takes you so far.) I like Armin but his results the last 2 seasons are disappointing. Rippon is out of it, this year at least. I think his latest coaching change was not a good move and also I don't think his programs are working this year. The programs are fine, but they just don't feel like Adam.

I do not expect to see Evan at Nationals. And as for Johnny, I am a big fan and had high hopes for his comeback, but I think the GP withdrawals pretty much killed his chances. Finlandia, to me, showed that he still has skill and ability, but needs more competitive experience and, especially, more experience competing his new programs. The GP withdrawals deprived him of that, and he will be coming into Nationals cold. I do not see him making the team.

So yes, I think Ross has a real chance to win, and I will be rooting for him!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast