Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm "Carmened" Out

Custom Title
    Oh Chuck - I SO agree about La Boheme. I was shocked when I heard Patrick was skating to that. I didn't think the music was powerful enough for a skater with his speed and strength. I had never heard of a man skating to those particular passages before.

And another piece of music that's overdone is Les Miserables and Phantom of the OPera. Both have beautiful, beautiful selections but should only be skated to by a person with considerable skill and maturity. I do not want to see a junior or a novice skating to either.

Custom Title
    Jeremy Abbott skated to "Bring Him Home" from Les Miz, and it was beautiful and touching. Chan skated to Phantom in a previous season.

Medalist
    Someone in another thread suggested that a pairs or dance team skate a Carmen parody in the exhibition portion. Now THAT would be entertaining!

And. No. More. Swans. Ever. (Black OR White!)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Jeremy Abbott skated to "Bring Him Home" from Les Miz, and it was beautiful and touching. Chan skated to Phantom in a previous season.
    Exactly - skaters with considerable skill and maturity!!!

But I've heard both pieces in the novice and junior ranks at Nationals!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauf View Post
    Someone in another thread suggested that a pairs or dance team skate a Carmen parody in the exhibition portion. Now THAT would be entertaining!

That would be great! Totally agree on both carmen and swans. Someone mentioned possible operatic choices and for some reason I instantly pictured a Wagnerian one, complete with Valkyrie helmets and horns! Aaagghhh!

Custom Title
    Not all Wagner music is like the Ride of the Valkyries. Tristan and Isolde is beautiful; Sale and Pelletier skated to it and won a World Championship.

Being a ballet person, I don't know if I agree about no more swans. Loved Ashley's black and Mao's white swan!

OK, let's have a moratorium for one year at least.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I love Carmen. It's one of the most wonderful musical works ever written. I can never get tired of listening to it. But yes, skaters should only use it if their skating can live up to the wonderful music.

On the Ice
    I don't mind Carmen, on the other hand Bolero - I usually get tired watching the programs after the first minute. Requiem for a Dream was really overused few years ago too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauf View Post
    Amen x 1,000,000

You would think that skaters were restricted to that. I've seen OD's with a singular (e.g. tango) theme that had more varied music selections amongst the field. Somebody please take those swans out back.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I've seen the opera Carmen many times, and I like the music in that context. But I have always passionately hated skaters' using Carmen in figure skating. Top skaters think they can capture the essence of the story, but in reality no one ever does, including V/M, Katarina Witt and Debbie Thomas. Lesser skaters shouldn't even try.
    Yes, I cringe whenever commentators say the skaters captured the essence of the character to tell a story - there's hardly ever a story told in skating, unless it's pantomime. The closest programs to a story told in my memory are Rahkamo and Kokko's La Strada, Klimova and Ponomarenko's Dracula and Romeo and Juliet.

I think that, after Katarina Witt and Bestemianova/Bukin, no-one can skate well to Carmen... And, I would REALLY like V/M and (most of all) D/W to try a music really not overused: something like V/M's 2010 Mahler, Meryl and Charlie have skated to so many popular and famous musics (Tango, POTO, Bat, Notre Dame...), try to find something that will remain in our memories as: "THAT was D/W's music!", something like Kostner's Shostakovich or Yu-Na's Kiss of the Vampire: when I now hear these musics, I immediatly think of Yu-Na or Carolina, but when I hear Carmen/Swan Lake/Samson and Delilah/POTO etc. I think of so many (beautiful but) different programs...

Custom Title
    I didn't like Kaetlyn Osmond's Carmen either. She played Carmen like a coquettish teenage flirt, the antithesis of Prosper Merimee's fiery seductive gypsy.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    On the overused music topic, I never want to see (or hear) the soundtrack from "The Artist" used ever again.

Carmen? Give me a year off, and I'll be happy to hear it again. Because Carmen has inspired a lot of different interpretations, it's always interesting to see what a fresh pair of choreographic eyes will bring.

I really liked V&M's Carmen this year; if there'd been a ban, I would have missed seeing it. Not a good thing.

Bad idea to never have Carmen. Thumb's down. :
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-20-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I think there should be a registry for everyone's music for each season. That way it would prevent more than 1 person skating to the same music. I think it would be like how some schools set up a dress registry for prom so 2 girls don't wear the same dress.

I know when I skated I used to get so mad if someone in my flight had the same music, but that's probably because I have this need to be different all the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast