Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would You Train With Your Rivals?

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Zoueva may have been disappointed because V/M were never quite able to perform Carmen as well as she had hoped. They didn't make any mistakes in their Worlds performance, but they were slower than they had been in previous efforts, probably to skate clean and keep Tessa's legs from cramping.

As a coach, Zoueva would have wanted both her top teams to perform their very, very best. She doesn't decide who is best on the day, the judges do that.
    I totally agree with that. For sure, each team's dances are choreographed with Level 4 elements and other moves that suit their individual styles. It's not as though she gives V/M Level 2 footwork sequences or D/W a level 1 twizzle sequence. Like any coach, she does her best to equip and train her teams to win. Whether they do so or not... that's up to their own performances and the judges' preferences.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    AFAIR, both teams find it motivating to have their competitors at the same rink.

Any time you're tempted to take a day offf, you think Charlie & Meryl/Tessa & Scott won't be taking a day off, and you get out of bed in the misty morning early and go out to train.

And it seems to me that Marina has said all she has to do to get one of the teams to do something is to say well Charlie & Meryl/Tessa & Scott did it, and the other team will go out and do whatever "it" is too.

Custom Title
    I'm already beginning to dread this off-season

Medalist
    This is a really tough discussion--it's like parenting. You just can't divide it up evenly no matter how much you try and like others have mentioned, you give each team the goods tailored to their strengths and you send them on their way (or onto the ice). I like all things

I play in a local, totally not important volleyball league but my team frequently practices against our top rival team. If anything, I think it helps us to regularly go at it with them. You see them everyday, on and off the court, on good days and bad days--it makes them real and it gives you confidence because you see and learn their strengths and weaknesses. Neither of our teams have coaches so there's a whole lot less strategy going on but I think there is some merit to the Canton situation. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    Well.. Because of this, I can't help but think that it's Zueva that determines whoever that's going to win gold medal at major competitions.
    Not necessarily. Originally D/W were to skate to a Frank Sinatra theme (Zoueva) FD, which would have never held up against V/M's Carmen. Fortunately D/W realized that and went with Davis' choice - the Notre Dame de Paris score. Now in their mid-20s I think D/W as well as V/M are old enough to make their own choices. It will be interesting to see those choices next season. Can't wait.

Custom Title
    Seems to work for Javi and Yuzu, D/W and V/M. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. It seems like skaters training alongside others of similar age and ability levels is a motivating experience and allows them to actually become real friends with their so called rivals, which I think is pretty special.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2