Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Skating Lesson recaps of all 4 World events

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Commentators should always be careful, but Dave & Jenny are amateurs.
    Oh, I wasn't thinking of Dave and Jenny at all. I was recalling comments/discussion on this board (or elsewhere) about the 'young' label used by commentators.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    I don't think the youngsters got lowballed just because they're young, but they deservedly got lower scores because their skating was less refined and mature than those of the veterans on the podium.

Just for the sake of comparison:

this is 16 year old yuna : she got high scores back then despite being young and if you compare her skating with that of the youngsters today, it was definetly deserved:

sp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dYCpF0uQxU
    lp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYC2l6iAB1U

I love Li but I don't think she's there yet - but next season, with a better choreogapher and better use of the whole body she could medal!
    I know these performances very well, but I still feel like Yuna was perceived as young, and she certainly got better as she got older. I don't think young skaters necessarily get low scores, but I am saying it has been the trend this quadrennial. We can debate the reasons for this and whether it's deserved, but it is simply true. I feel there is a correlation between age and maturity, at least.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    I don't think the youngsters got lowballed just because they're young, but they deservedly got lower scores because their skating was less refined and mature than those of the veterans on the podium.

Just for the sake of comparison:

this is 16 year old yuna : she got high scores back then despite being young and if you compare her skating with that of the youngsters today, it was definetly deserved:

sp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dYCpF0uQxU
    lp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYC2l6iAB1U

I love Li but I don't think she's there yet - but next season, with a better choreogapher and better use of the whole body she could medal!
    Yuna is a special skater. At 16, she LOOKED like Li, skinny and gangly, but she still had more speed and power. Yuna's speed and power have always been incredible for someone so slight, it's like one of her secret weapons, she is like an iron butterfly. I love Li but I understand why her scores are the way they are - the jumps are great and she has the hard 3-3s and 2a-3t, the spins are gorgeous, and she checks all the other boxes and has decent artistry for someone her age, and using ballet music like Sleeping Beauty certainly helps where artistry is concerned because she looks and skates the part well so it's easier to get engaged. But her speed and power aren't great, maybe they can become better with age, but I STILL think that is why Mao can never beat Yuna when Yuna is clean. Mao is phenomenal and has crazy hard content, but the speed in her general skating and power in her jumps and general movement is simply not in the same league as Yuna. Regardless, 127+ is still a really incredible score for a 16 year old so I think the judges do recognize she's a force to be reckoned with and are marking her as one. I know Liza and Adelina got similar FS scores, or even higher, at Euros, but seeing their respective scores and placements at Worlds, I still think the marks at Euros were pretty inflated, or at least more so than Worlds. So while it's not outrageous that Adelina got 67 for a clean SP with a 3t-3t and 3f and Liza got 131 for her FS with 61 for PCS, I don't think they can be expecting to get marks like that every time they skate very well.

Anyways, for Li, Gold, and Osmond, they are all very good skaters with just a piece or two of the puzzle missing. For Li, it's speed and power. Gold and Osmond both have a lot of speed and power but are a bit lacking in some other areas. For Gracie I would say these are artistry and fluidity (I find her stiff and her connection to her music intermittant) and for Kaetlyn, she has great presentation already but needs more control and refinement, her excitement and connection with the music keep you interested, but she can be sloppy and a bit helter-skelter going into and out of some of her elements. So that's the way I see it. I think those 3 are pretty comparable and very good and if they can get their respective missing pieces then watch out because I think they could be winning world medals/titles...pretty soon.

Custom Title
    refinement is what missing from these up and comping younger skaters. When Mao and Yuna burst into senior rank..... they are complete packaged!! Mao SP from 2006 was stunning. Yuna tango de roxxane SP was to die for.... and her Lark Ascending LP is just wooww.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    refinement is what missing from these up and comping younger skaters. When Mao and Yuna burst into senior rank..... they are complete packaged!! Mao SP from 2006 was stunning. Yuna tango de roxxane SP was to die for.... and her Lark Ascending LP is just wooww.
    Agree. I remember at Junior Worlds, the commentators mentioned during Yuna's Roxanne program that she came across as much more mature than 15, very refined and committed to the movement. Off the ice, she looked like a little kid, but on the ice, she really did have the presence of someone much more sophisticated and seasoned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2