The Skating Lesson recaps of all 4 World events | Golden Skate

The Skating Lesson recaps of all 4 World events

rkuang

Rinkside
The Ladies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q13E7VfInQ

Some interesting points, especially about the Americans. Nothing too shocking, but I did find Dave's point about Yuna's 10's in components to be kinda overkill. She would've won either way, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
but I did find Dave's point about Yuna's 10's in components to be kinda overkill.

Overkill about what? I thought he made a good point about it.

In both choreography and interpretation, her program was definitely not worth a 10.00 (or four). I agree with Dave that homegirl had way too much upper body movement (i.e. the leg kicking backwards; what is that, David Wilson?), but I think P/E was definitely worth a 10.00 or two. Her jumps were clean, crisp, and better than ever. She gave the audience a thrill and there were no cutting corners on her performance.

Krislite

Medalist
The judges were understandably unmoved by her cold/unfeeling demeanor, hence the 10's in her components. :)

More seriously, I think that right after she skated, the judges were pretty much in awe like the entire audience and the skating world, and so were much more inclined to give her such marks at that moment. Perhaps in retrospect or reflection, a 9.5 or so might be more "appropriate", but really, how exactly does one differentiate between a 9.5 and 10? or a 9.25 vs. a 9.75? The nature of cardinal component marks elude me. I don't understand how it measures what it purports to measure, let alone with such precision.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Suzuki wound up having the same kind if worlds as leonova. Like in 2012 gachinski and kozuka had horrible worlds.

They spoke a lot about kostner and she was their favorites and triple salchow was a mistake for her at that moment.

The talk of Li and gold was interesting. they both could show sotniova and tuktamisheva how to compete at worlds. They didn't say that but could have

rkuang

Rinkside
Overkill about what? I thought he made a good point about it.

In both choreography and interpretation, her program was definitely not worth a 10.00 (or four). I agree with Dave that homegirl had way too much upper body movement (i.e. the leg kicking backwards; what is that, David Wilson?), but I think P/E was definitely worth a 10.00 or two. Her jumps were clean, crisp, and better than ever. She gave the audience a thrill and there were no cutting corners on her performance.

I didn't articulate myself well enough. I meant I agreed with his point, not that his point was overkill. I too didn't feel like the 10's were necessary.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
The talk of Li and gold was interesting. they both could show sotniova and tuktamisheva how to compete at worlds. They didn't say that but could have

Gold isn't exactly the most consistent skater out there to be honest. And Li skated like she had nothing to lose, nobody saw her skating so well. I want to see her repeating this kind of performances next year too, because I really liked her.
Liza and Adelina weren't impressive here, I agree. But you have to consider the pressure they had to face from the Russian fed. Those performances would have been enough to earn 3 places in the last 2 or 3 world championships. It's not their fault that this particularly Worlds had the reigning world champion, Olympic champion and Oympic silver medalist in.
When you look at their results, it looks disastrous for them, but the skating was not that bad. Especially Liza's LP, which was pretty good actually. They may not be on the podium at Sochi, but after the Olympics I still see them world medalists, when the big guns retire

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Gold isn't exactly the most consistent skater out there to be honest. And Li skated like she had nothing to lose, nobody saw her skating so well. I want to see her repeating this kind of performances next year too, because I really liked her.
Liza and Adelina weren't impressive here, I agree. But you have to consider the pressure they had to face from the Russian fed. Those performances would have been enough to earn 3 places in the last 2 or 3 world championships. It's not their fault that this particularly Worlds had the reigning world champion, Olympic champion and Oympic silver medalist in.
When you look at their results, it looks disastrous for them, but the skating was not that bad. Especially Liza's LP, which was pretty good actually. They may not be on the podium at Sochi, but after the Olympics I still see them world medalists, when the big guns retire

Nope.There will be Gracie, Osmond and Li..

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Nope.There will be Gracie, Osmond and Li..

You never know :) right after Sochi I see Mao taking another world title in front of the home crowd. After that, there are more young talented ladies who can surprise us. Neither Gracie or Osmond are more consistent than the Russian ladies. All of them had ups and downs this season. And Li, well, she is so tiny, I don't know what's gonna happen if she grows. But right know she is stunning :love:

rkuang

Rinkside
You never know :) right after Sochi I see Mao taking another world title in front of the home crowd. After that, there are more young talented ladies who can surprise us. Neither Gracie or Osmond are more consistent than the Russian ladies. All of them had ups and downs this season. And Li, well, she is so tiny, I don't know what's gonna happen if she grows. But right know she is stunning :love:

I agree. If Yuna, Mao, or Ashley want to continue skating after Sochi, they could. But, I think the only reason someone like Yuna or Mao would want to continue is just to get more medals, or see how many they could get. I don't know if Yuna has that personality, and I'm not sure about Mao. Ashley might continue, but it depends on whether her body agrees with her.

The youngsters could rise, but I do feel like there's currently a preference for older, lady skaters, so if they choose to continue, the youngsters would have to wait a little longer to dominate.

gimble

On the Ice
The youngsters could rise, but I do feel like there's currently a preference for older, lady skaters, so if they choose to continue, the youngsters would have to wait a little longer to dominate.

Is is that there is a preference for older skaters, or preference for better skaters?

I would say it's the latter. Especially in this competition, I felt that the veterans definitely skated better than the youngsters. The youngsters can dominate if they do better competition after competition.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
I love watching their videos, they're both so charismatic which makes them really fun to listen to! The points they mention are very valid also.

Eclair

Medalist
I agree. If Yuna, Mao, or Ashley want to continue skating after Sochi, they could. But, I think the only reason someone like Yuna or Mao would want to continue is just to get more medals, or see how many they could get. I don't know if Yuna has that personality, and I'm not sure about Mao. Ashley might continue, but it depends on whether her body agrees with her.

I don't think the youngsters got lowballed just because they're young, but they deservedly got lower scores because their skating was less refined and mature than those of the veterans on the podium.

Just for the sake of comparison:

this is 16 year old yuna : she got high scores back then despite being young and if you compare her skating with that of the youngsters today, it was definetly deserved:

sp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dYCpF0uQxU
lp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYC2l6iAB1U

I love Li but I don't think she's there yet - but next season, with a better choreogapher and better use of the whole body she could medal!

kittyhawk

Rinkside
I don't think the youngsters got lowballed just because they're young, but they deservedly got lower scores because their skating was less refined and mature than those of the veterans on the podium.

Agreed. But I read somewhere that 'young' is shorthand for less mature/refined. If that's is so, then I think in this case, commentators should be less colloquial in their descriptions.

rkuang

Rinkside

this is 16 year old yuna : she got high scores back then despite being young and if you compare her skating with that of the youngsters today, it was definetly deserved:

I love Li but I don't think she's there yet - but next season, with a better choreogapher and better use of the whole body she could medal!

I know these performances very well, but I still feel like Yuna was perceived as young, and she certainly got better as she got older. I don't think young skaters necessarily get low scores, but I am saying it has been the trend this quadrennial. We can debate the reasons for this and whether it's deserved, but it is simply true. I feel there is a correlation between age and maturity, at least.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Yuna is a special skater. At 16, she LOOKED like Li, skinny and gangly, but she still had more speed and power. Yuna's speed and power have always been incredible for someone so slight, it's like one of her secret weapons, she is like an iron butterfly. I love Li but I understand why her scores are the way they are - the jumps are great and she has the hard 3-3s and 2a-3t, the spins are :love: gorgeous, and she checks all the other boxes and has decent artistry for someone her age, and using ballet music like Sleeping Beauty certainly helps where artistry is concerned because she looks and skates the part well so it's easier to get engaged. But her speed and power aren't great, maybe they can become better with age, but I STILL think that is why Mao can never beat Yuna when Yuna is clean. Mao is phenomenal and has crazy hard content, but the speed in her general skating and power in her jumps and general movement is simply not in the same league as Yuna. Regardless, 127+ is still a really incredible score for a 16 year old so I think the judges do recognize she's a force to be reckoned with and are marking her as one. I know Liza and Adelina got similar FS scores, or even higher, at Euros, but seeing their respective scores and placements at Worlds, I still think the marks at Euros were pretty inflated, or at least more so than Worlds. So while it's not outrageous that Adelina got 67 for a clean SP with a 3t-3t and 3f and Liza got 131 for her FS with 61 for PCS, I don't think they can be expecting to get marks like that every time they skate very well.

Anyways, for Li, Gold, and Osmond, they are all very good skaters with just a piece or two of the puzzle missing. For Li, it's speed and power. Gold and Osmond both have a lot of speed and power but are a bit lacking in some other areas. For Gracie I would say these are artistry and fluidity (I find her stiff and her connection to her music intermittant) and for Kaetlyn, she has great presentation already but needs more control and refinement, her excitement and connection with the music keep you interested, but she can be sloppy and a bit helter-skelter going into and out of some of her elements. So that's the way I see it. I think those 3 are pretty comparable and very good and if they can get their respective missing pieces then watch out because I think they could be winning world medals/titles...pretty soon.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
refinement is what missing from these up and comping younger skaters. When Mao and Yuna burst into senior rank..... they are complete packaged!! Mao SP from 2006 was stunning. Yuna tango de roxxane SP was to die for.... and her Lark Ascending LP is just wooww.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
refinement is what missing from these up and comping younger skaters. When Mao and Yuna burst into senior rank..... they are complete packaged!! Mao SP from 2006 was stunning. Yuna tango de roxxane SP was to die for.... and her Lark Ascending LP is just wooww.

Agree. I remember at Junior Worlds, the commentators mentioned during Yuna's Roxanne program that she came across as much more mature than 15, very refined and committed to the movement. Off the ice, she looked like a little kid, but on the ice, she really did have the presence of someone much more sophisticated and seasoned.