Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Do you agree with the Skating Lesson's views on Davis/White?

Banned

Do you agree with the Skating Lesson's views on Davis/White?

While I understand how some could be turned off by the aggressively b!tchy nature of Dave Lease sometimes, I do think he's right when he voices his displeasure about Meryl and Charlie crumbling in the face of speaking out about something that is blatantly wrong. Ashley Wagner just said what everyone in the skating world thinks when asked about Russia's anti-gay laws...so why couldn't Meryl and Charlie grow a backbone and do the same? I know they're worried as all get out about winning the gold medal, but come on...I think if there is something horribly discriminatory going on, it's your responsibility as someone who has a platform to speak out about it. The Miss America answers Davis and White gave really do sound cowardly and completely contrived. Come on, Meryl and Charlie...be the people you know you're supposed to be!

Custom Title
    They're skaters, not politicians. If they don't want to talk about Russia's anti-gay laws, that's their prerogative.

Custom Title
    There's already a (lengthy) thread about this, but no, I don't agree with his remarks. They were ridiculous and immature. Neither Meryl nor Charlie, or anyone else for that matter, should feel that they have to speak on something they don't want to. Sometimes, people just don't to talk about something, and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty about that. Good for Ashley for speaking out, but it doesn't mean everyone has to. There's a time and place for such a discussion, and I, personally, don't think the media summit is it.

Come on, Meryl and Charlie...be the people you know you're supposed to be!
    In other words, do what other people want so wannabe journalists won't criticize you.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I found Davis/White's answer to be absolutely appalling. Whilst some skaters hide behind ignorance, their answer sounded like they knew exactly what was going on but chose not to get involved. It's because of self-serving and cowardly attitudes like this that human rights abuses and inequality in general are able to happen.

And 'The Olympics are not the right place to make a political statement' is just a laughable statement to make. Because standing next to your flag, singing your national anthem and all that jazz are not political at all. Please.

mylastduchess
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I found Davis/White's answer to be absolutely appalling. Whilst some skaters hide behind ignorance, their answer sounded like they knew exactly what was going on but chose not to get involved. It's because of self-serving and cowardly attitudes like this that human rights abuses and inequality in general are able to happen.

And 'The Olympics are not the right place to make a political statement' is just a laughable statement to make. Because standing next to your flag, singing your national anthem and all that jazz are not political at all. Please.
    That's because its a sporting event and not a political one!

It is wrong for Russia to put such a law in place but making athletes into politicians is the same thing.

Let the athletes do what they are supposed to and not make this Olympics be about gay rights (In ancient times city states would stop wars just for the Olympics why can't people now a days stop politicizing this event)

However I think Russia should never be awarded another Olympics again if this is their philosophy

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I don't think I expressed myself as clear as I wanted to.

If Davis/White said that they didn't know enough details or that they didn't really follow politics or something along those lines, then I would have understood it.

But their answer sounded like they knew exactly what was going on but they chose not to care.

Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess View Post
    That's because its a sporting event and not a political one!
    Sport is extremely political.

Custom Title
    So, are we supposed to go down a checklist of every skater and hope they give a satisfactory answer? What if Lease interviewed a Russian skater and asked them what they think about their laws?

It is their prerogative to not comment. As mentioned, skaters are athletes and not politicians and they should only comment or show support if they want to, not because they should feel compelled to. And I say this as somebody staunchly against the laws.

David Lease is a tool, and he's just finding a reason to hate on skaters. I'd be surprised if any skaters wanted to interview with him because he'd just rail on them afterwards if he didn't get the answers he wants. Just once, I would love for a skater he asked about the Sochi laws to jokingly say, "Well, obviously I don't find anything wrong with them", just to see him lose it.

Custom Title
    It's too bad that Lease is being this divisive about skaters, because the full-length interviews TSL has been doing, with the likes of Frank Carroll, Sandra Bezic, and Yuka Sato, have been true skating lessons, full of insight and enlightening detail. I'll continue to enjoy them. But it does no one any good, least of all the Russian victims of Putin's law, for Lease to yell at a skater in Michigan who didn't make the law, can't repeal it, can't protect anyone from it, and can't get the ISU or the IOC to change their policies about it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    It's too bad that Lease is being this divisive about skaters, because the full-length interviews TSL has been doing, with the likes of Frank Carroll, Sandra Bezic, and Yuka Sato, have been true skating lessons, full of insight and enlightening detail. I'll continue to enjoy them. But it does no one any good, least of all the Russian victims of Putin's law, for Lease to yell at a skater in Michigan who didn't make the law, can't repeal it, can't protect anyone from it, and can't get the ISU or the IOC to change their policies about it.
    You also need to think about the fact the Davis/White have been substantially funded not only by USFS but also by the USOC over the years, and both groups had previously made their group statements about the human rights issues in Russia. Yes, perhaps Davks/White's answers were evasive, but they were following protocol. And, they have been a very politically correct team for years. In fact, I don't recall a misstep on their part, politically, ever. And, with dance being such a political event at the Olympics, I doubt they were going to voice their personal opinions with David Lease, or the media in Utah, and risk stirring the pot.

Kirk and Lease have a forum where they are able to promote their own views, under the guise of "journalism". I thought Kirk took a bold step forward when she first starting her journalistic endeavors, writing a thoughtful piece on her skating career and eating disorder. Lease has a lot of baggage to dispose of....all those years of blogging as Aunt Joyce .....not that he doesn't have a good understanding of the sports he follows, but there was so much vitriolic writing on his blog.....it takes a lot of work to dispel that past work. His track record of unfiltered candor or whatever you want to call it...he has a lot of work to do to build his reputation as a reputable journalist. I am waiting for them to put in the time and truly develop their journalistic talents. Much of what they present is still heavily tinged with rumors, snarking, editorials ...which is fine, for what they are currently doing. They intersperse some good solid interview work/questions/presentations with material that is 180 degrees from what they should be doing, IMO, to be taken as serious journalists. And, that has probably led to the lack of accreditation at the SLC Sr B event. I hope that they choose the higher road, really dig in and develop their skills, and distance themselves from the snarking, etc. it would be oh so refreshing to see a young team of journalists cover the sport with appropriate humor, an understanding of the nuances of the sport, back story interviews, and bring a new level of excitement for a sport that combines artistry and athleticism. But until then, they have some work to do to build credibility.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    While I understand how some could be turned off by the aggressively b!tchy nature of Dave Lease sometimes, I do think he's right when he voices his displeasure about Meryl and Charlie crumbling in the face of speaking out about something that is blatantly wrong. Ashley Wagner just said what everyone in the skating world thinks when asked about Russia's anti-gay laws...so why couldn't Meryl and Charlie grow a backbone and do the same? I know they're worried as all get out about winning the gold medal, but come on...I think if there is something horribly discriminatory going on, it's your responsibility as someone who has a platform to speak out about it. The Miss America answers Davis and White gave really do sound cowardly and completely contrived. Come on, Meryl and Charlie...be the people you know you're supposed to be!
    Do they have the right to say and do whatever they want?! I thought it was a dead horse already. A new wave of attacking on Davis and White?!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Do they have the right to say and do whatever they want?! I thought it was a dead horse already. A new wave of attacking on Davis and White?!
    Apparently. White is a political science major and lists his favorite shows as The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, so it's a fair guess that he is a liberal/progressive in his political thinking. However, as a team D&W have always avoided political statements. Should they have had a better response to this question - yes, but really to castigate them for not condemning outwardly the Russian LGBT law tells more about those complaining about this issue. Why must they comment? What do V&M, or the Italians, or the French ice dancers say about this issue? Are they even asked, or is it only the Americans who are held to some kind of political standard?

Custom Title
    ^^ Interesting points! I noticed that Patrick Chan stated that he was focusing on his job rather than making a statement and I'm not sure that he has been receiving the fire that D/W have been getting. Don't think it's just the Americans who are catching heat. I think every skater gets caught sometime by "ambush journalism" and D/W just happened to get caught this time. Kudos to Ashley for what she said and it would be nice if more did the same.
    I wonder if skaters from other countries have been put on the spot over this issue to the same degree (Japanese, European or Russian). Anyone know?

The underlying assumption here is that figure skaters automatically have a special obligation to wield the cudgel for gay rights. At the Beijing Summer Olympics politicians and heads of state took the opportunity to rail about Tibetan independence, but no one expected the athletes to take a stand on that human rights issue.

Lease charges that Charlie flat out lied when he said that "We (Meryl and he) had not discussed the issue very much between them," preferring to concentrate on their preparation as athletes. To Lease,it cannot possibly be true that someone in figure skating is not afire on this issue. On the contrary, to me it seems quite normal if Meryl and Charlie said to each other, let's get this Olympic gold medal thing out of the way first -- we've got the rest of our lives to stand ip for worthy causes.

By the way, Dave Lease loves Davis and White's skating. It is fans of Virtue and Moir who should have a bone to pick with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

I can't stand to watch the interviews, though. I don't like his tone or his facial expressions. And I can't stand their non interview segments. It's very disappointing. It started out as a wonderful thing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    so ? they have their own perspective and their own opinion
    can't feed anyone with the same words you know, so deal with it !

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast