Throwback Tuesday: A time when your favorite skaters were cuter ... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Throwback Tuesday: A time when your favorite skaters were cuter ...

I can't believe Danis and White's unison and attention to choreographic detail at the that age!

Okay, I'm slow on the uptake. I finally watched Davis and White. Look at the size of them! And they skate as if they had twenty years' experience by that time. What a blessing that they, and also Virtue and Moir, have remained with the same partners for all these years. That's how you get such splendid chemistry--and a near-telepathic connection.

airin

Rinkside
Welcome to Golden Skate airin! Yukina is lovely :love:
Thank you for warm welcome, dorispulaski:yay:
This thread is so nice! It’s so interesting I can see the features and characters of each skater even though they are so young and little. It’s not Tuesday but let me share these videos. Not the oldest ones but my favorite, and so lovely to watch.
Both of them are in their first season in junior level circuit.

Maia & Alex SHIBUTANI in JWC2009 (I think they were 14/17 years old)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ONEuW7RxE
I love this video:love:.I clearly remember I was amazed by their expressiveness when I watched this video for the first time. I think this program has innocent and transparent atmosphere, which fits this couple so much:clap:.

Yuzuru HANYU in JWC2009 (he was 14yo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFE8rrLCJtQ
His jumps are not stable but what a cute smile at 6:14:biggrin:

Robeye

Final Flight
She was quite the star! what a face :biggrin:
Meryl Davis has got the kind of face that you see in Renaissance portraits, of, say, a Duchess of Milan, or a mistress of a Tudor monarch.

Check them out only a scant four years after the OP's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_IWtmls8A

What a difference. By this age (around 15, apparently), they are are no longer children, and the first traces of the D&W personae are already visible, but still they are not yet come into their full adult powers.

To paraphrase The Bard: Now art thou Davis & White. Now art thou what thou art, by art as well as by nature...

(although Charlie White does look like a Scott Moir clone here with that curiously dark and ruly coiff ;))

(I think it's charming, and I'm not even an ice-dance uber. I stumbled across this while viewing the OP's vid :p)

Meryl Davis has got the kind of face that you see in Renaissance portraits, of, say, a Duchess of Milan, or a mistress of a Tudor monarch.

I agree! She does look like a Renaissance portrait, maybe Leonardo's Ginevra de' Benci or the Lady with an Ermine. Someone said at one point that she looks like a Disney princess, which I understand, but the Disney ladies are shown in cartoons. Meryl looks like the real thing on which the Disney cartoons were based.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What a blessing that they, and also Virtue and Moir, have remained with the same partners for all these years. That's how you get such splendid chemistry--and a near-telepathic connection.

Skate Canada is using a still photo of Virtue/Moir from their younger years as one of its "100 Years of Champions" images:

(although Charlie White does look like a Scott Moir clone here with that curiously dark and ruly coiff ;))

Reminds me of that old ad campaign: "... only her [er, his??] -- hairdresser knows for sure." ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland