Kaetlyn, Gracie, Zijun, Liza, Adelina | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn, Gracie, Zijun, Liza, Adelina

LRK

Record Breaker
One really can't do much besides hoping skaters don't visit borads like this and happen to read stupid comments like this. As if there weren't enough cases of eating disorders and similar problems in this sport.

Agreed. Haven't people harped upon her weight enough by now? One would think they'd get it out of their systems and have done with it. But instead it goes on and on and on... And what happened really? Liza had a freak fall in the short, was rattled and singled a jump. In the free she doubled a jump maybe? I don't quite recall the details but it wasn't exactly a disaster. Our Glorious World Champion (and I'm obviously NOT referring to Yuna Kim :) ) had far more mistakes, and no one is looking at his waistline! (Nor am I saying they should. :) )

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza was slow, her jumps are small, and she gets limited ice coverage. Those things limit her PCS scores, which is why Liza landed all her jumps in the FS but still wound up 10th overall.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Liza was slow, her jumps are small, and she gets limited ice coverage. Those things limit her PCS scores, which is why Liza landed all her jumps in the FS but still wound up 10th overall.

I don't think her jumps are small. She has good spring on jumps. Yeah, her ice coverage and speed are bad. There isn't much artistry, interpretation or choreography in her programs either. She's more like a gymnast.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I stand by what I said, her weight in a way affecting Liza's jumps
I hope Mishin controls/monitors what she is eating or she could try only 1 full meal a day w/ no ice cream/sweets

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Suzuki and Kostner have been skating regularly for the past quadrennial. Suzuki won 2012 World bronze and Kostner was 2012 World Champion and won 2013 World silver.

Ando won 2011 Worlds, but since then she and her coach split and she hasn't been training. It's been two full years since Miki has competed. Sochi is 11 months away--does Miki even have a coach?

Miki is no longer in the top 24 on WR and SB, and she used up her chance to get two GPs as a returning skater this past season when she withdrew from both her events. I'd say she is in a precarious position.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Suzuki and Kostner have been skating regularly for the past quadrennial. Suzuki won 2012 World bronze and Kostner was 2012 World Champion and won 2013 World silver.

Ando won 2011 Worlds, but since then she and her coach split and she hasn't been training. It's been two full years since Miki has competed. Sochi is 11 months away--does Miki even have a coach?

Miki is no longer in the top 24 on WR and SB, and she used up her chance to get two GPs as a returning skater this past season when she withdrew from both her events. I'd say she is in a precarious position.

Miki is planning in reuniting with Morozov this coming Season in a bid to get into the Olympics Team

FSGMT

Record Breaker
That's interesting news. Do you have a link?
Yes, that would be REALLY interesting... Maybe Nikolai realized that Alena's 2011-2012 season was just a fluke and he needs someone strong (given that Amodio and I/K are clearly not medal contenders) to bring to Sochi?

christinaskater

Medalist
Miki is planning in reuniting with Morozov this coming Season in a bid to get into the Olympics Team

This seems like good news. Daisuke needs to get away from Morozov. He is destroying his artistic abilities.

Miki and Morozov are a perfect combination!

Macassar88

Medalist
I really hope that they work together and Morozov gives her programs that literally are just crossovers eternal jumps with no arm movements and set her programs to silence. She's be just as entertaining since the one transition she usually has in her programs is just keeping her from practicing jumps longer.

ForeverFish

Medalist
We shouldn't get our hopes up too high until sky_fly20 or anyone else provides hard evidence that Miki is truly planning on reuniting with Morozov. I've been searching around, but the only recent news articles mentioning Miki are ones rehashing her win over Kim Yuna at 2011 Worlds.

gmyers

Record Breaker
One really can't do much besides hoping skaters don't visit borads like this and happen to read stupid comments like this. As if there weren't enough cases of eating disorders and similar problems in this sport.

I don't talk about lizas weight. It seems fine to me. I am not one of those weigh people with Liza. Her pcs is the worst!

Agreed. Haven't people harped upon her weight enough by now? One would think they'd get it out of their systems and have done with it. But instead it goes on and on and on... And what happened really? Liza had a freak fall in the short, was rattled and singled a jump. In the free she doubled a jump maybe? I don't quite recall the details but it wasn't exactly a disaster. Our Glorious World Champion (and I'm obviously NOT referring to Yuna Kim :) ) had far more mistakes, and no one is looking at his waistline! (Nor am I saying they should. :) )

Liza did all her jumps except 3/3 but even so was 10th! Why? Her pcs is just the worst!! Even when she does well and is not 14th in a sp her pcs tends to be crap. So maybe her pcs was crap because she was in the second group but basically her pcs is crap and she needs to improve every single area in the pcs or she will continue to be 10th in the world.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I originally thought that Liza had the best chance in Sochi (a gold medal favorite, actually), but that was before Yuna made her comeback. And now with Caro still strong, and Mao getting big scores, perhaps a gold is out of reach.

I doubt that Liza would have been a gold medal favourite in any circumstances, as I cannot remember a singles skater ever winning an Olympic gold medal without having been on a Worlds podium before. Now the Olympics will be in Russia, it will not surprise me if they will be the most corrupt ones ever....

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't talk about lizas weight. It seems fine to me. I am not one of those weigh people with Liza. Her pcs is the worst!

Liza did all her jumps except 3/3 but even so was 10th! Why? Her pcs is just the worst!! Even when she does well and is not 14th in a sp her pcs tends to be crap. So maybe her pcs was crap because she was in the second group but basically her pcs is crap and she needs to improve every single area in the pcs or she will continue to be 10th in the world.

Oh, but that's a whole other discussion, though. I certainly don't claim that everything is perfect as is, and nothing needs improving. I suppose I simply saw this season as a transitional one for her - to recoup and recover, and as such I think it has gone rather well, actually. Did I expect her to be higher at Worlds' than 10th, and am I disappointed that she wasn't? Certainly. But I wasn't dreaming about medals, nor was I envisioning Sochi gold - so, I feel more a "Oh, well, pity; wish it had gone better." - rather than going to the other extreme and saying that she's hopeless and will never amount to anything. Under any circumstances, though, I don't think that starving herself is the solution to anything - the consequences of that are weakness, wobbly legs, tiredness, dizzyness... Not going to improve her results, are they? (Apart from other reasons why this would be bad, which I think should go without saying.)

There are areas that need improvement, but I didn't really expect them to work on them this year. I think that their main goal was to try to maintain, or even recover, the skills she had before her body changes (non-ice cream related! :) ) - to expect her to do that AND improve in other areas as well, is, I think, to have unreasonable expectations.

I think that what happened to her in the SP was mostly bad luck. (And she wasn't the only skater to single a jump.) That being said, though, she has had a tendency of making mistakes in the SP, and then having to play catch-up in the free - and obviously that is also something that needs to be worked on.

I hope that next season will be an overall better one for her - but I don't expect it to be capped by an Olympic medal, let alone gold. :) But for me, her skating is enjoyable to watch - she gives it her all, and I love her for it! To each their own... :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Corrupt or not, the Sochi judges cannot deny Kim the OGM if she skates the way she did at Worlds. YuNa skates so easily and confidently with no missteps, that she has no competition.

Of course, the Russian ladies will probably not finish 9th and 10th as they did at Worlds. But Adelina seems incapable of skating cleanly under pressure, and Liza skates so small. I just can't see either of them anywhere near the podium. Perhaps Russia will send Lipnitskaia instead of one of them, hoping to make her the Tara Lipinski of Sochi. :eek:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Corrupr or not, the Sochi judges cannot deny Kim the OGM if she skates the way she did at Worlds. YuNa skates so easily and confidently with no missteps, that she has no competition.

Of course, the Russian ladies will probably not finish 9th and 10th as they did at Worlds. But Adelina seems incapable of skating cleanly under pressure, and Liza skates so small. I just can't see either of them anywhere near the podium.

Well, a year is more than enough time for both Liza and Adelina to fix their respective issues. I don't expect them to challenge for medals, either--Yuna, Carolina, and Mao are really the triumvirate of the skating world right now--but they could easily put themselves in a good spot heading into this next quad.