Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...652250547.html
    Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko said Wednesday that Canada’s Patrick Chan does not deserve the world title he won last week.

Chan relied on his world-record short program score to defend his world title as he fell twice in the free skate and was nearly caught by Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten, who lost out by just 1.3 points.

“Denis Ten won that world championship,” Plushenko said on Twitter and accused Chan of having undue help from Skate Canada, which hosted the championships in London, Ontario.

“Patrick Chan didn’t win, his figure skating federation did! That’s my opinion as a person who knows figure skating.”

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...652250547.html
    Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko said Wednesday that Canada’s Patrick Chan does not deserve the world title he won last week.

Chan relied on his world-record short program score to defend his world title as he fell twice in the free skate and was nearly caught by Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten, who lost out by just 1.3 points.

“Denis Ten won that world championship,” Plushenko said on Twitter and accused Chan of having undue help from Skate Canada, which hosted the championships in London, Ontario.

“Patrick Chan didn’t win, his figure skating federation did! That’s my opinion as a person who knows figure skating.”
    Oh, boy. Figure skating smackdown.
    Save us all front row seats.

Custom Title
    Has 2014 Olympics started already?! Exciting!!!

Banned
    Zhenya sure got that one right it was his Federation that won not Chan

this probably ignited a fire in him reviving memories of the fraud in Vancouver
    and it doesn't help it was held in Canada notorius for having the most corrupted GP results

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Oh boy the King has spoken. Lets see how long this thread will stay open.

Custom Title
    Oh gag. This will keep haters of every stripe going for at least a year. Think I'll stay away.

Guess it's payback for Chan disrespecting Plush several years ago in an interview....calling him old, elderly, or something like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Guess it's payback for Chan disrespecting Plush several years ago in an interview....calling him old, elderly, or something like that.
    don't forget how Chan called him a 40 year old jumping quads
    with that kind of skate , he won't win in Sochi anyways Yuzuru will be the favorite for OGM

Custom Title
    As much as I respect Plush as a fighter (much less as a skater now. Even if he deliver his jumps, his artistry does seem to ancient to me from the aesthetics of today), I don't think it does him any good to him to comment on this issue.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'll take a second-row seat. I don't want the splatter of blood and sweat...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post

I totally agree with Plushy.

I think I agree with Plushenko, but Skate Canada didn't BUY Chan's medal like some posters are saying. If Skate Canada was able to manipulate the results, V/M also would have won, and D/R wouldn't have lost to a subpar S/S in pairs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think I agree with Plushenko, but Skate Canada didn't BUY Chan's medal like some posters are saying. If Skate Canada was able to manipulate the results, V/M also would have won, and D/R wouldn't have lost to a subpar S/S in pairs.
    We dont know all the goings on behind the scenes but it is quite possible V&M were sold out to help buy more marks for Chan. Usually to ensure one winning sacrifices must be made, and lets face it we arent the Russians of the 90s, there are only so many big fish to sacrifice. Canadians know V&M are retiring soon (granted Chan is too), they know V&M already have a gold and already brought Canada the long awaited first ice dance gold on home ice, but they want the Oly mens gold badly, they want a singles star to market (although Canadians havent taken the bait), and so they would be perfectly fine selling out votes for V&M in exchange for help from the powerful U.S to keep Chan on top, as long as we are willing to have D&W on top. Since D&W are surpassing V&M in ability and performance and would probably be beating them anyway right now, the U.S has no worthwhile men to worry about, NA 1-2 dominance continuing in dance is the best thing NA has going for it in the sport now anyway, and the Oly mens gold is the only one Canada lacks (or did before Chan was awared it the 2014 gold on June 2010), it is a good tradeoff for both parties.

As for the pairs Canadians in the excitement of a home country event might be crying for a silver and bronze instead of 3rd or 4th, but really if the event wasnt in Canada who is to say we wouldnt have been 5th and 6th. At the very least the event been held in Europe and a tenative and slightly off D&W with a downgraded jump been scored about 1 point behind S&S with a couple of misses but a throw triple axel mostly successful, Canadians would be ebuliant with joy, but they seem to have gotten too much caught up into the home excitment and overreaching to even demand a better pairs results than they already got. D&R and M-T&M were scoring nowhere near people like Pang & Tong and Barazova & Larionov all year and suddenly they are able to beat a clean S&S in the SP at Worlds, LOL! They did skate a great SP, but still this is figure skating, that just doesnt usually happen that fast. I am not saying they didnt deserve their placements, but if anything their doing as well as they did is more a reflection of the power of the CSA as well.

It makes no sense to me to imagine that Skate Canada would sacrifice Virtue and Moir for Chan. What would be the point?

Also, how would this sacrifice be organized and carried out? David Dore sends a message to the nine judges, saying "pssst, heads up! Lowball V&M and give those extra points to Chan. Pass it on" ?

Why wouldn't the message be, "Cheat for both V&M AND Chan, if you know what's good for you. This is the Big Bad Wolf, Skate Canada, talking. Mwahahahaha.!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It makes no sense to me to imagine that Skate Canada would sacrifice Virtue and Moir for Chan. What would be the point?
    Pretty easy. North America would always rather a singles star than a dance or pairs star, and North America can brag the 2 dominant teams in dance anyway, and it doesnt even really matter who wins except to team. Canada now has an ice dance Olympic Gold on home ice to boot, and numerous World titles in the event, anything from here is gravy. Canada though has been denied the mens Olympic Gold for decades, even through a slew of multi World Champions, and so they desperately want that, and after all the past misses of seemingly almost sure things they want to make Chan unbeatable to ensure it, hence why he has to win every event no matter how much of the program he skates with his pants.

Tradeoffs from events happen all the time. You arent new to figure skating and you should know this. Just look at the SLC scandal with the pairs and dance favor swapping between the French and Russians which was publicly outed, and created this whole new stinky scoring system as a fast action ditch solution. Of course just as they were promised for helping the Russians win the pairs, the French won the dance gold (over a Russian team on a 5-4 split, when do you see that happen usually in dance, never) in exchange, just as both parties had agreed on. Skaters have written books about them or their coaches being guaranteed to finish in a certain spot (higher) or another spot (lower) depending if they did or didnt take the deal to help a skater from that country in another event, and those who didnt take the deal ended up in the lower spot promised if they refused, while said skater in the other event ended up in the higher one. Are you saying that these former skaters ALL made those stories up, LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast