Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title | Golden Skate

Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taan

On the Ice

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20130320/652250547.html
Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko said Wednesday that Canada’s Patrick Chan does not deserve the world title he won last week.

Chan relied on his world-record short program score to defend his world title as he fell twice in the free skate and was nearly caught by Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten, who lost out by just 1.3 points.

“Denis Ten won that world championship,” Plushenko said on Twitter and accused Chan of having undue help from Skate Canada, which hosted the championships in London, Ontario.

“Patrick Chan didn’t win, his figure skating federation did! That’s my opinion as a person who knows figure skating.”

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20130320/652250547.html
Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko said Wednesday that Canada’s Patrick Chan does not deserve the world title he won last week.

Chan relied on his world-record short program score to defend his world title as he fell twice in the free skate and was nearly caught by Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten, who lost out by just 1.3 points.

“Denis Ten won that world championship,” Plushenko said on Twitter and accused Chan of having undue help from Skate Canada, which hosted the championships in London, Ontario.

“Patrick Chan didn’t win, his figure skating federation did! That’s my opinion as a person who knows figure skating.”

Oh, boy. Figure skating smackdown.
Save us all front row seats.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Zhenya sure got that one right it was his Federation that won not Chan :thumbsup:

this probably ignited a fire in him reviving memories of the fraud in Vancouver
and it doesn't help it was held in Canada notorius for having the most corrupted GP results

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Oh gag. This will keep haters of every stripe going for at least a year. Think I'll stay away.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Guess it's payback for Chan disrespecting Plush several years ago in an interview....calling him old, elderly, or something like that.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Guess it's payback for Chan disrespecting Plush several years ago in an interview....calling him old, elderly, or something like that.

don't forget how Chan called him a 40 year old jumping quads :disagree:
with that kind of skate , he won't win in Sochi anyways Yuzuru will be the favorite for OGM

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
don't forget how Chan called him a 40 year old jumping quads :disagree:
with that kind of skate , he won't win in Sochi anyways Yuzuru will be the favorite for OGM

I hope you're right, but I worry about Yuzu's stamina in LP. He's got all kind of charm though!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Plushenko is right on the mark. That must have been an enormous cheque the CSA cut to ensure Chan won this years Worlds no matter how horrendously he skated. Something happens like that at the Olympics with him (since after the scandals of the last few years everyone will be watching Chan like a hawk) and figure skating will be out of the Olympics immediately.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
As much as I respect Plush as a fighter (much less as a skater now. Even if he deliver his jumps, his artistry does seem to ancient to me from the aesthetics of today), I don't think it does him any good to him to comment on this issue.

bebevia

On the Ice
Ay, this man... (sigh)

I liked his quirkiness, still do, but... once a while, just wrong TPO. Not a place for an established hero to bug in, whatever Chan did (he didn't control the judges himself).

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
No, Plushenko, you were right. Patrick didn't win. Patrick has lost LP to Ten by 5.51.;)

Plushenko is right on the mark. That must have been an enormous cheque the CSA cut to ensure Chan won this years Worlds no matter how horrendously he skated. Something happens like that at the Olympics with him (since after the scandals of the last few years everyone will be watching Chan like a hawk) and figure skating will be out of the Olympics immediately.

Yeah, right! Continue to "home-cooking" your conspiracy theory!:rofl::popcorn:

ciocio

On the Ice
I don't agree with Plushy :disapp:, but I respect his opinion, he's not the only one who thinks Chan did not deserve the gold medal.
Maybe he can lend D10 his platinum medal and everybody will be happy. ;)

gmyers

Record Breaker
He'll give Chen credit when credit is due but his 2013 worlds win his not good for anybody! Makes people think of federations and power politics! There could be personal issues involved here with things revolving around Vancouver and CHan and Canada.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
This is his opinion, he is a sincere man. Always.

Johnny Weir's tweet:

This judging is ridiculous and the only reason people buy it is because it's in North America. Imagine the outcry if it were Russia+Plush!?

yaya124

On the Ice
He is only express his personal idea. Here is what he writes:

Patrick Chan did not win, but his figure skating federation! This is my opinion, as a man who knows the figure skating
Joubert is great guy and a fighter!!
Denis Ten won this World Championship

Nothing more than that.

In another Russian interview he did say that he cannot believe a skater can win a World title with 4 big mistakes including 2 falls without some lobbying going on.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
BlueBonnet seems to find this all amusing, but all the only funny thing is people who are actually excited about the farce continuing which is killing an almost already dead sport. Hey if you want to see skating out of the Olympics though, go ahead and keep cheering for this kind of BS, you will soon get your wish.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If I were Patrick, I'd say to Plushenko, "It's OK, pal! Stop hurting yourself by making up stories. See you on ice!!!":laugh:

If I were Plushenko, I wouldn't have commented this way, unless I wanted to be at the center of the wirlwind. Obviously, he wants to jump into the center, and starts the Olympic quest from the off ice.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.