Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushy is old fashioned, he gives interviews on the radio. On the other hand, the Gao's hashtag has become a trend on twiter.
    He gave interview and tweeted.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Germanice, come back! (Maybe Yagudin will make a comeback. )

You know, this sort of thing demonstrates the extra burden that lady athletes face, compared to men. Men trash talk each other and we are all like, yeah yeah, say it again!

What would we think if Zijun Li, everyone's sweetheart du jour, came out and said, I can't stand that no-ggod Yu-na Kim.

But wait! As Seniorita points out, now comes Christina Gau.
    Which is also not what Plushenko said...I'm sorry, I know I am only a new poster at these forums. But Plushenko's words were specific to this particular competition and not about Chan as a person or a skater in general.

But I don't quite get it: I guess, I don't read a huge amount of skating commentary or twitters, etc., but even I can see that the opinion Plushenko expressed was not exactly an uncommon one (whether one agrees with it or not). So, what is the big deal, anyway?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebamboo View Post
    But I don't quite get it: I guess, I don't read a huge amount of skating commentary or twitters, etc., but even I can see that the opinion Plushenko expressed was not exactly an uncommon one (whether one agrees with it or not). So, what is the big deal, anyway?
    The big deal is that he is Plushenko, If he give an interview and said exactly the opposite, like Chan deserved his win blah blah, there will be equal amount of people jumping on him and that statement too.

Custom Title
    So, what is the big deal, anyway?
    The big deal is that Plushenko cannot explain himself further without hard evidence, like Phil Hersh.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    The big deal is that Plushenko cannot explain himself further without hard evidence, like Phil Hersh.

What hard evidence you are talking about? He did mentioned four major mistakes in Chan's LP in his interview. As of the twitter, I thought there is a limit on how many words you can pack into it?

And for all other professionals who expressed the same opinion as Plushenko did, i.e. Elderidge, Gao etc., what extra hard evidence do they need? I think one skater put it beautifully, "I don't understand my own sport!" So now figure skating is in such a precarious state, that no athlete can voice their opinion/concern/confusion without writing an essay to back it up?

Custom Title
    Oh, please! I don't think you haven't read his comment yet. He has put himself into a hot water by refering Chan's win to Canadian federation's political win.

...Talk about Patrick Chan doesn't have a mouth guard!

Quote Originally Posted by lilywang View Post
    The big deal is that he is Plushenko, If he give an interview and said exactly the opposite, like Chan deserved his win blah blah, there will be equal amount of people jumping on him and that statement too.

Which is also not what Plushenko said...I'm sorry, I know I am only a new poster at these forums. But Plushenko's words were specific to this particular competition and not about Chan as a person or a skater in general.
    Quite so. I apologize if I seemed to be saying that Plushenko was dissing Chan as a person.

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Here are part from today's longer Plushenko's interview for russian newspaper...
    http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...rt=2260#p78272

- Leaders in single men skating is better in the year?
    - Yes, there was even few sensations. In particular, 2nd place of Denis Ten. He is originally from Kazakhstan, but recently him prepared a wonderful coach Frank Carroll, who were engaged with Olympic champion Evan Lysacek and other famous skaters. So, Ten skated very well. As for the world leader Patrick Chan, I liked his short program, but free has disappointed me. Javier Fernandez, on the contrary, was third, well skated free program. But still, I was filled with great respect to Brian Joubert. A real man! In his 28 years, he well skated short, then free program - did two quads. I expected the judges for this performance will put him higher. I am surprised with Daisuke Takahashi. I thought he would be among winners. So, there was happened a lot of surprises.

^Thank you for the translation.

I think I agree with Plushenko, but Skate Canada didn't BUY Chan's medal like some posters are saying. If Skate Canada was able to manipulate the results, V/M also would have won, and D/R wouldn't have lost to a subpar S/S in pairs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think I agree with Plushenko, but Skate Canada didn't BUY Chan's medal like some posters are saying. If Skate Canada was able to manipulate the results, V/M also would have won, and D/R wouldn't have lost to a subpar S/S in pairs.
    We dont know all the goings on behind the scenes but it is quite possible V&M were sold out to help buy more marks for Chan. Usually to ensure one winning sacrifices must be made, and lets face it we arent the Russians of the 90s, there are only so many big fish to sacrifice. Canadians know V&M are retiring soon (granted Chan is too), they know V&M already have a gold and already brought Canada the long awaited first ice dance gold on home ice, but they want the Oly mens gold badly, they want a singles star to market (although Canadians havent taken the bait), and so they would be perfectly fine selling out votes for V&M in exchange for help from the powerful U.S to keep Chan on top, as long as we are willing to have D&W on top. Since D&W are surpassing V&M in ability and performance and would probably be beating them anyway right now, the U.S has no worthwhile men to worry about, NA 1-2 dominance continuing in dance is the best thing NA has going for it in the sport now anyway, and the Oly mens gold is the only one Canada lacks (or did before Chan was awared it the 2014 gold on June 2010), it is a good tradeoff for both parties.

As for the pairs Canadians in the excitement of a home country event might be crying for a silver and bronze instead of 3rd or 4th, but really if the event wasnt in Canada who is to say we wouldnt have been 5th and 6th. At the very least the event been held in Europe and a tenative and slightly off D&W with a downgraded jump been scored about 1 point behind S&S with a couple of misses but a throw triple axel mostly successful, Canadians would be ebuliant with joy, but they seem to have gotten too much caught up into the home excitment and overreaching to even demand a better pairs results than they already got. D&R and M-T&M were scoring nowhere near people like Pang & Tong and Barazova & Larionov all year and suddenly they are able to beat a clean S&S in the SP at Worlds, LOL! They did skate a great SP, but still this is figure skating, that just doesnt usually happen that fast. I am not saying they didnt deserve their placements, but if anything their doing as well as they did is more a reflection of the power of the CSA as well.

It makes no sense to me to imagine that Skate Canada would sacrifice Virtue and Moir for Chan. What would be the point?

Also, how would this sacrifice be organized and carried out? David Dore sends a message to the nine judges, saying "pssst, heads up! Lowball V&M and give those extra points to Chan. Pass it on" ?

Why wouldn't the message be, "Cheat for both V&M AND Chan, if you know what's good for you. This is the Big Bad Wolf, Skate Canada, talking. Mwahahahaha.!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It makes no sense to me to imagine that Skate Canada would sacrifice Virtue and Moir for Chan. What would be the point?
    Pretty easy. North America would always rather a singles star than a dance or pairs star, and North America can brag the 2 dominant teams in dance anyway, and it doesnt even really matter who wins except to team. Canada now has an ice dance Olympic Gold on home ice to boot, and numerous World titles in the event, anything from here is gravy. Canada though has been denied the mens Olympic Gold for decades, even through a slew of multi World Champions, and so they desperately want that, and after all the past misses of seemingly almost sure things they want to make Chan unbeatable to ensure it, hence why he has to win every event no matter how much of the program he skates with his pants.

Tradeoffs from events happen all the time. You arent new to figure skating and you should know this. Just look at the SLC scandal with the pairs and dance favor swapping between the French and Russians which was publicly outed, and created this whole new stinky scoring system as a fast action ditch solution. Of course just as they were promised for helping the Russians win the pairs, the French won the dance gold (over a Russian team on a 5-4 split, when do you see that happen usually in dance, never) in exchange, just as both parties had agreed on. Skaters have written books about them or their coaches being guaranteed to finish in a certain spot (higher) or another spot (lower) depending if they did or didnt take the deal to help a skater from that country in another event, and those who didnt take the deal ended up in the lower spot promised if they refused, while said skater in the other event ended up in the higher one. Are you saying that these former skaters ALL made those stories up, LOL!

Custom Title
    duplicate post! Sorry!

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast